nest

Lil W’s Truck and Car Room

Before Lil W was born I decorated his room in the traditional light blue and white with touches of chocolate brown.  It was sweet, but I think I mostly went that direction because I was too unsure of my style to do what I really wanted–and that was to add some color and whimsy.  Flash forward two years…now I know my style a bit more and I have a toddler obsessed with cars and trucks–and so a theme for Lil W’s big boy room emerged.

It’s nothing too flashy. The room isn’t compiled of the pottery barn furniture I dream of or the perfectly coastal and colonial wainscoting.
But it’s personal, and it’s fun. And most of what you see is handmade.
So have a look around.

Canvas car art tutorial coming soon.

Penant banner from Trisha B. Designs.
Fabric Memo Board tutorial.
Clipboard wall idea from here.

Lil W painted this canvas and then I had it framed at Joann’s.
Mod Podge Wall Art tutorial.

These shelves are from Ikea–and they are perfect for Lil W’s books.
That sweet, adorable, handcrafted owl was a gift to Lil W from BOObeloobies.

Car bedding from Target.
Lil W’s favorites get a spot on the bed. Elmo, Cookie Monster, Monkey and Bippity the Basset .
You seriously gotta check out Boobeloobie–the most unique, and adorable handcrafted toys from Africa. They’re the kinda toys you keep and pass down to your future generations.

I love this t-shirt shag rug.

Clever clipboard wall idea taken from here.

You may remember this yellow frame project. And while it turned out cute, it didn’t stand the test of time. By the time I was ready to hang it, the glue had decided to come apart, so I need to do some repair work before I get it up.  But you can still see the tutorial here.

You can see my craft room here.
My kitchen here.
My family room here.

tarah
    October 15, 2011 at 11:59 pm

what a fab room for a little boy to grow up in!! such great ideas in there…i’m gonna have to get on my grind and do a few of them for my little man!!

Lindsay
    October 16, 2011 at 12:05 am

Such a big boy room. It turned out great. I love the t-shirt shag rug. Did you make it?
    Littlemudpies.blogspot.com

Katie
    October 16, 2011 at 12:12 am

So cute! I love the car bed and the stuffed animals!

Megan
    October 16, 2011 at 12:13 am

It looks great!!! Love all the bright colors. Can we come over and play???
    Happy Saturday.

jamie
    October 16, 2011 at 12:25 am

Love it!

Audrey Crisp
    October 16, 2011 at 12:55 am

Love it! It looks great!

Beth @ Through the Eyes of the Mrs.
    October 16, 2011 at 1:23 am

Adorable, perfect for a little toddler growing into a boy. You did a great job. This was always a bitter sweet transition for me with mine. xoxo

syreena
    October 16, 2011 at 1:25 am

looks great! of course all i can see is aLLLL of the toys that I would have to pick up about five times a day ..lol im working of trying to teach my oldest to clean up after himself when he moves his festivities into another room but i dont think its going so well right now…lol

Sarah
    October 16, 2011 at 1:41 am

I adore every inch of this. I think our boys are twins – they’re in to all the exact same things: cars, Sesame Street, slides & art 🙂 must be a boy thing. I’m slowly transitioning Ben’s room for the monkey theme we had for his nursery to encompass more of his personality – I think I’ll be taking several queues from your kiddos room! Good job!! 🙂

Amanda
    October 16, 2011 at 2:07 am

So cute! My little man has had those same toy bins {purchased from Target years ago} and we LOVE them! He is sitting in my lap and says he “woves” Lil W’s red race car bed! You did a great job missy! 🙂
    ~Amanda

Carly @ Mason's Roost
    October 16, 2011 at 2:55 am

I love his room Ashley. Did you see the monogram race car track that I made for Mason? It would go perfectly in BabyDub’s room.

Lindsay Lee
    October 16, 2011 at 3:00 am

Lil W is so lucky to have you as a momma! You did an amazing job Ash! Landyn wants to come play in Wes’s cool room 🙂 xoxo

Pamela
    October 16, 2011 at 3:04 am

Adorable! Oh my goodness how does he go to bed in there! I feel like mine would get out of bed nonstop to okay. its so cute tho!

Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

misty
    October 16, 2011 at 4:45 am

love, love, love this room!!! Thanks for sharing!! xo

Mindy Harris
    October 16, 2011 at 5:49 am

man i gotta redo wilder’s room. it’s just so FULL of toys! love the primary colors, ashley.

Karie @ The HoB
    October 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Such a bright and cheerful room! Love it!

Make and Do Girl
    October 17, 2011 at 1:11 am

big fan of the car bed. wish i could get a 6′ long one.

Meggan
    October 17, 2011 at 3:33 am

My FAVORITE part of the room is all of his artwork on display. From a momma of 9 and 7 year old girls, I never realized what in impact this had until my older daughter told me that seeing her art hanging in our house made her feel special .

Great job LMM!

Jen
    October 17, 2011 at 5:37 am

ashley, it’s adorable. nice work dear! love all the handmade whimsy!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims
    October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

looks awesome! i love how you used so much of lil w’s own artwork to decorate, makes it so cute and personal 🙂

Andrea Worley
    October 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

What a cute room! love all the bright colors in his room!

jewels
    October 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Very cute it turned out great! My question is how does he not play with all those fun toys when bedtime rolls around?

Kimberly Bonham
    October 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

His room is so cute! I love all the bright colors. I also love how you displayed his coloring on clip boards and hung them on the wall.

Cerrisse
    October 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Too cute! I love how you decorated his room with his own art. 🙂

Melanie
    October 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love how creative you are. I like how you desplayed all his artwork!! I recently had my kids paint on canvas. I am trying to figure out where to display their work. They are so proud of what they did!

Becky
    October 19, 2011 at 4:12 am

Great job! I’m sure it will take your little guy a long time to discover all the fun stuff you have incorporated in his room.

Zsa Zsa
    October 19, 2011 at 4:42 am

Awesome boy’s room! Love everything about it, especially the cool car bed. It’s so bright and colorful, I’d wanna hang out in this room myself!

summer
    October 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

We are doing “transportation” for Gav’s room too. I started it before the baby came but can not find the motivation to finish it. Maybe because it’s always pitch dark in there. We had to put a dark curtain in the window because he can’t nap unless it’s dark. I need to get movin’ before he can tell me he doesn’t want to car room anymore. lol

Dyna
    October 19, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I love Lil W’s room. It contains happy bright colors! love colors!! Thanks for sharing!

Stefanie
    October 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm

That’s the perfect room for a little boy!

Amber
    October 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

So crafty and inspiring. Your little ones toy bins resemble mine. My little dude loves Cookie, Abby, and Elmo.

Caitlin
    November 13, 2011 at 2:39 am

can you please tell me what those shelves are called from ikea? ive seen the spice racks turned into shelves but i dont see those kind on the website anywhere 🙁

Kathy
      December 31, 2011 at 3:42 am

I thiink these may be what she used. I looked under various things too and finally found this under “picture ledges” They have 2 sizes, which are $9.99 and $14.99. The name of them is Ribba. Hope I’m not too late in giving you this info.

Rita Wright
    February 14, 2012 at 5:00 am

Such a cute room for a little boy! I bet my son would have loved to have this room when he was younger! I always adored those racecar beds 😉

A Look At My Walls: Ideas for hanging home decor - DIY, Home Decor - Little Miss Momma
    September 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm

[…] because then I can switch out the art any time. And then, here are the fun walls in Wesley’s Big Boy Truck Room: Most of whats up on the wall was a DIY project or painted by Wesley.  I bought these […]

Auntie Bubbie
    July 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Cookie Monster and Burt or Ernie (I can never tell who is who) look like they are having a conversation, REALLY.
    Looking at each other and everything. LOL

kathy
    August 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I love the bedding but cant seem to find it. do you know the name/brand/site that I can purchase it from. its exactly what I am looking for. great room, I love it!!

Decorating Road Trip | Ramblings from the Burbs
    April 30, 2014 at 5:07 am

[…] Print IKEA: Easel, Gray Rug, Galvanized Caddy Photo Sources: Book Sling, Triangle Wall Decals, Clipboard Art Display, Art Supply Caddies and Magazine […]