love

Our Love Story: Part 2

via

Here’s the thing about this love story of ours. It’s long. And drawn out. And mushy gushy. And even a bit cheesy. But it’s true. And I’ve decided to take my time writing it, capturing all the special details of those moments I never want to forget. So if mushy-gushy, cheesy love stories aren’t your thing, I totally get that.  Just know that I’m writing this as a gift—to my family, and my children, and their children—and also, for Ben and me—so that on those days when the kids are screaming, the laundry is overflowing and the bills are rolling in…on those days when it all just seems so hard, we’ll have this to remind us of those first moments when we fell in love. And if sappy, detail ridden love stories are your thing, well then you’ve come to the right place. All previous chapters can be found here.

***

Tuesday:
After my gutsy and rather uncharacteristic introduction to the boy with dimples, I went back to my little apartment and did my best to not think about him for the rest of the evening. After many failed attemps, I decided to go to bed early so the next day would come sooner.

***

Wednesday:
The first four hours of my shift were spent making “accidental” eye contact with him from across the room. He looked cuter today than I had remembered.
But…had I scared him off with my aggressive introduction the day before?
Afterall, nearly four hours had passed and we still hadn’t spoken.
Not to mention, I still didn’t know his name.

I had just finished tieing a knot in a jumbo garbage bag full of sticky, empty Gatorade bottles and sweat drenched towels.  I wiped my forhead with the back of my hand, threw the bag over my shoulder and turned around to see those dimples smiling me right in the face.

My heart hit the floor.

Boy: You need some help with that? he said, almost laughing.
I just stared, caught off guard.
Not quite as calm, cool and collected as I had imagined I would be.

Boy: It’s Ben. My name–it’s Ben. You didn’t really give me the chance to introduce myself yesterday.

I was picking up a mid-western, Matthew Mcconaughey-ish accent.
Are you kidding me? An accent. What’s next?

Me: Uh, sorry about that. I was in a hurry.
Ben: Yeah, I noticed.  So…I saved two of the staff lunches. Have you eaten yet?
He held up two paper sacks and smiled.
Ben: Turkey or ham?
He smiled again.
And at that point I realized–it didn’t matter what he was asking me…
My answer  was going to be yes.

***

You could sorta call the sack lunch on the outside steps of the Event Center our semi-first date.
That’s when we asked eachother all those “first date” questions.
I nervously played with my hair and he poked at the bread on his sandwich.
That’s when I found out that he was the middle of 5 kids–2 sisters, 2 brothers.
His Mom was a piano teacher and his Dad a lawyer.
I found out that he played soccer in college,
lived in Spain for 3 months, Chile for 2 years,
and he had spent a Summer traveling through Europe with his college buddies.
He spoke fluent Spanish,
believed a guy should always open the door for a lady,
and his baby niece was the apple of his eye.
He wasn’t dating anyone seriously because he was focusing on the next steps of his career,
and he was 25 years old–a whopping 5 years older than me.

I gushed too.
Shared things about myself.
Told him that I was an only child, born and raised in Southern California.
I was leaving UCSB to study marketing at USC.
I played soccer in all the same places he visited in Europe,
and while I was about as gringo as they come,
my Mexican roots meant that half of my family spoke Spanish as their first language.

Me: So you’ll be able to communicate with my family members better than me–I said with a laugh.
As soon as the words left my mouth, I realized how it sounded. My face got hot.

Me:
I mean..uh…not that you’ll ever be communicating with my family or anything. I just meant…
Ben: Don’t worry. I knew what you meant–he said with a smile.
I could tell he was enjoying watching me squirm.
And for some reason, I liked that he made me nervous.

My lunch break had ended 5 minutes earlier, but I could have talked to him for hours.
I reluctantly crumbled up my sack lunch and stood up.

Me: I should get back. This was fun.
I lingered a bit, hopeful that he might ask me out later that night. But he didn’t.
Ben: Yeah, this was fun.

And that was it.
He smiled at me from across the room a couple times, but we didn’t talk again for the rest of my shift.
And I went home that night, again, with thoughts of his dimples and accent swirling around in my mind. I wondered if he was thinking of me too.

***

Thursday:
I arrived at work right at 8 the next morning.
D was unlocking the gymnasium doors as I walked up with my hot chocolate with freeze dried marhmallows in hand. He looked over his shoulder as I strolled up.

D: So…lunch date yesterday, huh.
Me: It wasn’t a date.
D: Suuure.
Me: I’m serious, it wasn’t a date. Besides, I don’t even know if he likes me.
D: What do you care if he likes you? I thought you were staying clear of boys.

I gave D a half-serious glare.

Me: He’s only here for like another week…then he’ll leave, and I’ll get back on track.
D: Whatever you say.

***

I was vacuming the entry rugs when I saw Ben arrive to work  from the other side of the gym.
He didn’t look my way and that was the last I saw of him for the next seven hours.
Probably for the best, I thought to myself.
D was right–I have a plan, and I should stick to it.
But then, an hour before my shift ended,
I turned to see him grinning from ear to ear with a soccer ball in his hand.

Ben: So, are you gonna show me what you’ve got, or what?

***
Part 3 coming soon.
It gets much much better.
sweeter.
steamier.
and even very very sad.
stay tuned.

Lindsay Lee
    November 4, 2011 at 3:11 am

You two are straight from the notebook and I LOVE it. 😉

Hayley
    November 4, 2011 at 3:13 am

is there ANYTHING better than a great love story?? i think not!! you 2 are thecutest =)

Cassie
    November 4, 2011 at 3:15 am

This story is already getting better and it’s only part 2. I can’t wait to read part 3. It sounds like ya’ll met in a very cute way! =D

Megan Robinson
    November 4, 2011 at 3:15 am

first of all, I just LOVE the way you write!!! and your story is just so so beautiful which makes it all even better. I love it all!!

Jennifer
    November 4, 2011 at 3:18 am

You are killing me, Ashley! I had no idea the story would get even more exciting. I’m giving you until early next week to finish the story or I am showing up at your doorstep and you will have to tell me all of it in person! 🙂

Seriously though, thanks for sharing. It is such a fun story!

elise
    November 4, 2011 at 3:22 am

Okay seriously, I’m more invested in this story than I am with most tv shows I watch. The suspense kills me every time. And, I love the story. Real love stories beat cheesy chick flicks any day. and I love me some chick flicks.

D
    November 4, 2011 at 3:24 am

Ashley, I can’t wait to read the next part! Thank you for sharing your story.

Mindee
    November 4, 2011 at 3:27 am

I absolutley LOVE reading your story of how you two met! Its got me on the egde of my seat…its like a good book! haha. I cant wait for part 3. Except for the sad part…not looking forward to that, just cause its sad…but im sure it gets better : ) post it soon!

lauren
    November 4, 2011 at 3:30 am

i love that you’re writing it like a novel and not just a paragraph! I’m SO dying.

lauren
    November 4, 2011 at 3:31 am

and p.s you’re going to make us housewives fall in love with ben! haha!

Heidi
    November 4, 2011 at 3:35 am

Ashley- Your love story is too cute for words and we are only two days in of how the road to ever lasting love began!
    Thank you for sharing and as always thank you for being so real. I adore that about you and I hope one day I can have you guest blog for me?! Think about it!!
    Hugs,
    Heidi

Vanessa
    November 4, 2011 at 3:44 am

I love your love story! I can’t wait to read the next part. It is so cute! It makes me think of how I met my hubby and it brings back such fun memories!

misty
    November 4, 2011 at 3:55 am

Noooooo, I can’t wait!!!! Love love love this story, so sweet. Xoxo

Megan
    November 4, 2011 at 4:03 am

I can’t wait for the next chapter! This is such a sweet story. Great writing!! On the edge of my seat!
    Lots of love!!

Becky
    November 4, 2011 at 4:04 am

Love reading this! I’m new to your blog and thoroughly enjoying everything I’ve read so far. Can’t wait for part 3…the suspense is already mounting!

Auntie Bubbie
    November 4, 2011 at 4:05 am

So nice to hear this story again.
    I remember when I visited you at UCSB and you shared
    with me that you had met Ben but he had gone back to Wyoming.
    I am so happy you found each other.
    Ben is a wonderful person, husband & father.
    The family couldn’t be happier he is a part of us.
    I love you both (and Wesley) so very much.

Lauren @ Me&Mine
    November 4, 2011 at 4:14 am

gah I am soaking this up like a good novel, dont keep us waiting TOO long!

Erika Thompson
    November 4, 2011 at 4:15 am

I wanna know now! hahah too cute. love it 🙂

Megan
    November 4, 2011 at 4:22 am

LOVE hearing how couples met! Can’t wait for part 3!! 🙂

karla @ bluegrass jewelry designs
    November 4, 2011 at 4:40 am

Can’t wait to read part 3.

Krystle
    November 4, 2011 at 4:43 am

This is such a great idea for your blog! I am enjoying reading your story so much. Thank you for sharing….and don’t make us all wait too long to read the rest….

staci johnson
    November 4, 2011 at 4:49 am

Ashley!! Don’t leave us hanging!! I was about to go to bed, then saw your post and had to read it:) Can’t wait for Part 3!!

kristen duke photography
    November 4, 2011 at 5:28 am

LOVE it!

Jackie
    November 4, 2011 at 5:31 am

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! you left it there?! this is adorable. “i realized then that it didn’t matter what he was asking- my answer was going to be yes”. so cute. i know just what you mean. i’m gonna sound like a crazy person, but I LOVE LOVE!!! 🙂

Jennifer Yaniz-Torrel
    November 4, 2011 at 5:40 am

You can’t do this to me! are you kidding me leaving me like this. I want to read morreeee. you should make it into a novel. I like that idea. yup.

kathy h.
    November 4, 2011 at 5:46 am

PLEASE DON’T KEEP ME HANGING!! I want to know what happens next. Please, please, get the rest to us ASAP, and please don’t make me wait a weekend.

(I’d say you’re doing some pretty good writing if all of your readers can’t wait for the next part!!)

Good job Ashley!!

Mindy Harris
    November 4, 2011 at 5:58 am

so happy that you are sharing this. i am a sucker for love stories! ya’all are TOO cute…!!!

Aleisha
    November 4, 2011 at 6:01 am

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please oh please get to the next part soon! These posts have been so utterly and completely dreamy!!!!!!!!!

Aileen Billdt
    November 4, 2011 at 7:19 am

Girlfriend!!! This is some AMAZING novel worthy writing! You have me hooked and I know you have just scratched the surface of your-I’m sure- amazing journey to love with Ben. Your story is adorable so far and I can’t wait to read more. I can already see it now-you are following in the steps of our beloved Pioneer Woman and your story will be on the best sellers list too! Fabulous job girly! Now PLEASE don’t keep us all waiting too long 😉
    Xoxo

gaya
    November 4, 2011 at 8:46 am

GOsh I’m dying till part 3 comesss….

Veronica
    November 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

I agree with Aileen! I just finished Pioneer Woman’s book and LOVED it just as much as I am LOVING your story! Cant wait to read the next part 🙂 And you should seirousally think about the book….

Amanda
    November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am

This is to good. SO ready for part three missy! 😉
    ~Amanda

Chelsea
    November 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love reading love stories and it’s even better reading one that’s real 🙂 Can’t wait for the next part!!

Aubri
    November 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

This is seriously SO sweet!! I need to know what happens next!!! Ahh!!

Pia
    November 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for sharing! I love stories about how couples meet.

Renee Rasmussen
    November 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm

thank you for sharing your love story. Reading your story makes me smile and remember that in a crazy world we always have our companions. I look forward to reading more. 🙂 PS the rest of your blog rocks too. I’m hooked.

kate
    November 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

ahhhh i love this. i can’t wait to read the rest.!!!! please don’t keep us waiting too long to hear it 😉

Rachel
    November 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I am loving this story. It makes me want to write mine down this way. I can’t wait for part 3!!

Olivia Booska
    November 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I LOVE love stories!!! Can’t wait to read the next part! I think everyone is posting their love stories lately, I just posted my first part of mine today 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Mindy H.
    November 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Ashley I am loving this story! It’s like a book that I just can’t wait to read the next chapter 🙂

dyna
    November 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm

waiting for part 3!! :0)

Siobhan
    November 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I know u have a million zillion comments on here but I love reading ur story. We lived in Redlands for 5yrs. And my sister-in-law went to UCSSB as well. We moved to LA a little over a year ago so my doc. Hubby could do a residency at USC hospital. I’m not really liking LA but it’s nice to read about someone kinda local. Can’t wait for part three!!

Brittany B.
    November 5, 2011 at 3:52 am

Cliff-hanger! Noooo! Please hurry & I’ll stay tuned XD

Terri
    November 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! It’s so sweet.

Aleyta
    November 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Oh my word you 2 are meant for each other!! He’s a doll!

kate
    November 5, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I am loving this series!! More more more 🙂

Stephanie @ 4Eighteen
    November 6, 2011 at 5:10 am

OH MY GOODNESS! Please don’t make us wait to long!

Veronica Carpenter
    November 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

SUSPENSE! CLIFF HANGERS! I HATE them! And I LOVE them!

lisa leonard
    November 8, 2011 at 12:44 am

oh i love it! tell me more. xoxox

shannon leonard
    November 9, 2011 at 7:24 am

This is killing me!!! Tell me more!

Our Love Story Part 4: Little Miss Momma - Little Miss Momma
    November 15, 2011 at 3:55 am

[…] @ Little Miss Momma * Leave a Comment Read the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 […]

Erika
    December 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I love how you are writing about how you and your husband started dating. It’s the cutest story and really allows us to get to know you:)

Our Love Story: Part 5, The First Date - Little Miss Momma
    February 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm

[…] @ Little Miss Momma * Leave a Comment Read the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 […]

Our Love Story: Part 6, After the Kiss - Love Story, Real Life - Little Miss Momma
    June 8, 2012 at 5:05 am

[…] the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 here. Read part 5 here. Photo taken in my college apartment just […]

Our Love Story: Part 7, Serendipity - Love Story, Real Life - Little Miss Momma
    September 20, 2012 at 2:33 am

[…] the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 here. Read part 5 here. Read part 6 here. Photo taken on our […]

Our Love Story: Part 3 - love - Little Miss Momma
    September 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

[…] Read the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. […]

witchycrazymommy
    February 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

intentionally missing american idol to read this. your story and your ben are equally cute 😉

Our Love Story: Part 9, The Goodbye part 1 - love - Little Miss Momma
    March 21, 2013 at 6:59 am

[…] the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 here. Read part 5 here. Read part 6 here. Read part 7 here. Read […]

harga besi beton ulir per kg
    March 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm

You two are straight from the notebook and I LOVE it. ?

madden 17 coins
    November 5, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Great looking site. Think you did a great deal of your ownyour very own coding

casodex money order now canada
    February 20, 2017 at 1:40 am

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.

It’s always helpful to read through articles from other writers and practice
    a little something from their web sites.

Kimberly
    February 21, 2017 at 3:00 am

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info
    with us. Please keep us up to date like this.

Thank you for sharing.

Kimberly
    February 21, 2017 at 3:00 am

with us. Please keep us up to date like this.

Thank you for sharing.

condyline pills purchase now online
    February 21, 2017 at 7:06 pm

What’s up to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this blog;
    this webpage carries amazing and actually fine information in support of readers.

Jane
    February 25, 2017 at 6:50 am

Thanks in favor of sharing such a good opinion, post is nice, thats why i have read it completely

generic co-amoxiclav
    February 25, 2017 at 5:34 pm

I’m more than happy to uncover this page. I need to to thank
    you for your time for this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed
    every little bit of it and I have you book marked to check out new information on your blog.

Bruno Araujo
    December 6, 2019 at 5:41 pm

I love to read such a stories:0 They make me feel alive such as this https://essaywriters.site/best-speech-writer blog!

HERVE LEGER
    March 24, 2020 at 2:34 pm

As a signature French fashion brand, Black Bandage Dress has proven its worth in the fashion industry for catering nothing but high quality line of bandage dress.

Taglio capelli uomo
    October 20, 2020 at 3:42 pm

I appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Cool.