love

Our Love Story: Part 4

{via}

Here’s the thing about this love story of ours. It’s long. And drawn out. And mushy gushy. And even a bit cheesy. But it’s true. And I’ve decided to take my time writing it, capturing all the special details of those moments I never want to forget. So if mushy-gushy, cheesy love stories aren’t your thing, I totally get that.  Just know that I’m writing this as a gift—to my family, and my children, and their children—and also, for Ben and me—so that on those days when the kids are screaming, the laundry is overflowing and the bills are rolling in…on those days when it all just seems so hard, we’ll have this to remind us of those first moments when we fell in love. And if sappy, detail ridden love stories are your thing, well then you’ve come to the right place. All previous chapters can be found here.

***

Friday Night:

Please call. Please call. Please call.
Only a few hours had passed since I wrote my number on his napkin,
and in that short time my phone had not left my side.

Rachel: So he finally asked you out?
Me: Yes, fiiiiiinally.

Rachel was my Summer time roommate. My best friend.
We had gone to high school together and shared nearly every single class.
But it wasn’t until our Senior year in high school and Freshman year of college that we created a real friendship.

The kind of friendship that had inside jokes.  The kind of friendship where you could go to the bathroom while talking on the phone with said friend.  The kind of friendship where you loved to see the other succeed, to see the other happy. Rachel was this kind of friend.

So naturally, I had been gushing all the details about the boy with dimples from day one.

Rachel: Do you know what you’re going to wear yet?
Me: I have noooo idea.
Rachel: Well, it all depends on where you guys are going and what you’ll be doing.  Did he say where he was taking you?
Me: He said something about… “putt putt”.
Rachel: What in the world is “putt putt”?
Me: I have no idea, but I guess I’ll find out.

***

Saturday:

Friday night ended with no call.
So I slept with my phone under my pillow–ya know, just in case.
Still no call.

The next morning I went on my daily 3 mile run with cell phone in hand {I was disciplined back then}.
Still, no call.

I had cereal and Swiss Miss for breakfast.
No call.

Rachel and I headed down to State Street for a little afternoon shopping and lunch.
After meandering through all our favorite shops, we sat down at out favorite place to grab a slice of pizza.

Rachel: Nothing yet, huh?
Me: Nope, nada.
Rachel: He’ll call.

***

When I was in high school,
and it was the day of a big dance–like Homecoming or Prom,
I remember blocking out nearly the entire day to primp.
Not that it took me a whole day to get ready…
But I liked taking my time,
enjoying the process,
perfecting every element of the outfit.

And much like my time consuming process for important high school dances,
I had similar plans for my preparation for this date.
So at 6:00 pm on Saturday night,
when he still hadn’t called,
I naturally assumed there would be no date.

My hair was unwashed from my early morning run.
I was wearing sweats.
And I had on 2 day old mascara.

It wasn’t pretty.

So, of course, my phone rang.
And when I saw that it was an unrecognized number my heart started to beat in my face.

I took a deep breath.
Be cool Ashley. I reminded myself.

Me: Hello.
Ugh. That came across so valley girl. Oh well.
Ben: Ashley?
Me: Yep.
Ben: It’s me, Ben.  I just wanted to see if you were busy later tonight. Maybe you wanted to hang out?

Okay, so he was one of those guys. The ones who doesn’t call until the last minute, and then doesn’t have intentions of starting the date until 9:00 at night.  Well, I certainly wasn’t one of those girls. I liked advanced notice, planning, organization, and an early start to my evening–but for him…I would make the exception.

Me: Uh, yeah, sure.
Ben: Woah, don’t get too excited.
Me: I meant yes, definitely. I just need to get showered.
Ben: Okay, then how about we meet in 30 minutes. Will that give you enough time?

Thirty minutes!
Was he kidding me?
I didn’t even know what I was going to wear, I tasted like salty sweat and I had a pony tail crease in my hair.

Me: Thirty minutes will be plenty of time.
The words left my mouth before I could stop myself.

Ben: Great, let’s meet at the coaches offices on campus in 30, and then we’ll go from there.
Me: Sounds great. See you then.
And then I hung up.

Me: RACHEL!!! Start laying out outfit options pronto!

***

My hair was damp and my make up was natural.  I wore my favorite Miss Sixty bell-bottom jeans with zippers in the back, a borrowed Abercrombie t-shirt from Rachel, a white Gap jean jacket, and my white platform Sketchers sneakers–an outfit I wouldn’t be caught dead in today.

Despite the rush, I was feeling pretty good about my attire that night.
I grabbed my American Eagle green canvas purse and headed for the door.

Rachel: Let me know how the first kiss goes.
Me: Rach, this is our first date…their won’t be a first kiss.

But I was wrong.

***

Thanks for reading Our Love Story so far.
I know I promised photos, but I was wrong–they are in the next post.
Stay tuned for Part 5…the first date.

Colleen
    November 15, 2011 at 3:56 am

Girl, how do you remember every detail?? So sweet, you need to write a YA novel 🙂

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma
      November 15, 2011 at 3:58 am

LOL, that is a great question! I actually kept detailed journals of the entire time we were dating! I ended up filling 4 thick notebooks declaring my love for this boy! oh man!

Caitlin
    November 15, 2011 at 3:58 am

I love reading these! It’s been five years since I met and started dating my husband and I wish I remembered all the little details!

kirtley a
    November 15, 2011 at 4:11 am

This is too cute. I’m so glad I found your blog. I love it. I can’t wait to read more.
    Xoxo

Jen
    November 15, 2011 at 4:15 am

I agree with commenter number one! I have been looking forward to these posts to see what happens next! You should definitely write a YA book, you would be a natural!

Edna
    November 15, 2011 at 4:16 am

My first kiss wasn’t until after a month with my boyfriend haha I was grounded our whole first month for talking so late on the phone with him.

nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma
    November 15, 2011 at 4:20 am

yup. YA is your calling, Ashley. You’d already have a built in audience. Time to find an agent… 🙂

Great story. That outfit with the flared jeans brings me back to the late 90s. Gah.

Stephanie
    November 15, 2011 at 4:22 am

OH MY GOSH ASHLEY! I am LOVING this story! The wait in between each post is killing me. I am still in the dating years of my life, so each post just gets me so excited! Thanks for sharing it!

Kayla Lawrence
    November 15, 2011 at 4:24 am

BAHHH! You can’t stop there. Too much suspense, haha.

misty
    November 15, 2011 at 4:27 am

So exciting!! I love this story!! xoxo

Trisha
    November 15, 2011 at 4:38 am

I find it amazing that you remember exactly what you wore – every detail!! You definitely have a gift for story telling! 🙂

Melanie Cantelmo
    November 15, 2011 at 4:41 am

Oh my goodness, I remember those miss sixty jeans!!! ha! That is so funny. I used to do that too, bring my phone with me everywhere waiting for the call. Why do guys wait so long to call? It used to drive me nuts. So glad I am married now and don;t have to deal with that anymore 🙂

Megan
    November 15, 2011 at 4:43 am

This is a great story! Forget the love part. Def a YA best seller… Great job… Keeping me excited for the next post.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life
    November 15, 2011 at 5:17 am

This story keeps getting better and better! Keep it coming and coming!

Chelsea
    November 15, 2011 at 5:18 am

I’m cracking up about “put put,” that’s what I call it and I never thought about how silly it sounds to people who call it something else like mini-golf hahaha 🙂

Jodi Hall
    November 15, 2011 at 5:32 am

you do remember every detail.. i am the same about my husband i remember every second of our first date 🙂

Emma
    November 15, 2011 at 6:03 am

Okay, I really cannot remember how I found your cute blog but I just have to say that I love reading your love story. It really makes me want to write one for my husband and I. Please write more! I am dying to find out how the rest of the story goes!

Sabrina
    November 15, 2011 at 6:15 am

Why am I so excited to read these posts?!? We all know how it ends!! That’s what makes this blog so good…..great writing!

Kim
    November 15, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love your beautiful story. I feel like I’m there every step of the way. Thank you for sharing such an intimate part of your life and for letting others be apart of your journey.
    You are an amazing human being. And I am so glad to know you. I love you Little Miss Momma.

Siobhan
    November 15, 2011 at 6:34 am

Is that state street the one in Redlands? And is the fav pizza place the gourmet pizza place? If so I love that place too. We just moved from there and we still drive back to eat there.

Aileen Billdt
    November 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

Girl! I am on vacation in Hawaii but I love reading this story so much I keep checking’ your blog for the new posts! You are so cute and so real- the way you act about waiting on Ben really brings me back to my boy crazy days. K-now waitin on part 5 😉

Lauren @ Me&Mine
    November 15, 2011 at 6:55 am

well I have to hand it to ya, you know how to keep us on the edge of our seat. I am glad you are writing this all down in detail for little W this is a GREAT story!

Aleisha McD
    November 15, 2011 at 7:09 am

HOORAY!!! I’ve read every part! I’m hooked. SO SO SO DREAMY! Your cliff hangers are killing me!!!!! UGH! Guess I’ll have to occupy myself with new cinnamon M&Ms while I wait for the next installment. (Have you tried those things?! Yum.)

Summer @ Made By Munchie's Mama
    November 15, 2011 at 7:22 am

Oh my gosh! Platform sneakers…I so rocked those! It’s so funny to look back and see what we used to wear! Looking forward to reading part 5…I’m totally hanging on every word.

kathy h.
    November 15, 2011 at 7:35 am

You are killing me! I WANT MORE!! 🙂

Pamela S
    November 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

What a great story so far. I read them all in 1 sitting just now. My intention was to read the first one and come back later because I need to start work but I couldn’t stop. I’m hanging on every word. It’s so sweet!

Jennifer
    November 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I found out on the first date with my now husband that he was one of those last minute callers with intentions of 9:00 dates. lol

Michelle Parrott
    November 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

it sounds perfect so far 🙂 loving this.

Jamie
    November 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oh this is such an exciting story; you leave me hanging at the end of each part! I laughed out loud at the 30 minutes part! hahaha I used to block out all day and enjoy the ‘getting dressed up for dances’ process too in HS. :o)

I can’t wait to hear about your first date. Every time I read about your love story I want to start blogging out my own, but I think I’m going to wait until the anniversary of when we met – in May.

I’m staying tuned,

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

Shanna
    November 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

LOVE this story! Keep ’em coming. I feel sorta like when I read Pioneer Woman’s love story – I can’t get enough fast enough! 🙂

Jenna
    November 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I am LOVING these posts way too much!! I get so excited when you post a new one, I really want to do this for me and my husbands love story (so I might totally take your idea on this…hope you don’t mind)!

Michelle
    November 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

oh girl, bell-bottom jeans, Abercrombie tee and white platform Sketchers… I’m pretty sure I rocked that same outfit! 😉 {shakes head in shame} hahaha! 🙂

lori
    November 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

love this!! im impressed you got ready (shower and all!) for a first date in 30 mins!! 🙂 looking forward to reading more… and starting my love story before i forget all the details 😉

Ally
    November 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love reading your story and even though I already know how it ends, I just can’t wait until you write a new part!! 🙂

ilene
    November 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

so sweet! totally going back to the beginning of this series. 🙂

laura~eye candy event details
    November 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm

loving these stories – it’s like reading a romance novel. lol But I love that you are doing this as your kids will CHERISH this when they get older. Very cool.

Leigh Anne
    November 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

My first comment on your love story, but I wanted you to know that I hav really been lovin it!! The suspense is killing me! I also really love all the little details. Cant wait for the next part!!

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art Keepsakes
    November 15, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Goodness, your love story is so much fun to read! ♥ thanks for sharing..it’s “brilliant”.

♥tejae

Kelsey
    November 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Wow! You, Ashley, have a immense natural talent for storytelling. Not everyone can bring emotion out in their readers because of the true emotion in their written words. 🙂

karla @ bluegrass jewelry designs
    November 16, 2011 at 12:42 am

Lovin’ the story.

talmage ellis-sherinian
    November 16, 2011 at 12:52 am

Ashley,
    You are so adorable! I have been following your blog for about 7 months! I was always curious to your love story because I know you are a convert to the church. I am also LDS and I am going on a mission to Brazil in January. I am going to miss reading your blog the most and pintrest of corse! 🙂 But I am looking forward to reading the rest of your love story! Your a phenomenal woman and mother! Such a great example to others in this big world! Know that your appreciated and you have many talents that don’t go unnoticed! Take care.

Sincerely,
    Talmage

Allison
    November 16, 2011 at 1:50 am

You are so talented! I have loved your little cliff hangers and detail to your love story. You really should write a novel, this reminds me of a book I’d be indulging in as a 16 year old girl.

Hannah
    November 16, 2011 at 1:58 am

I did a happy dance when I saw you had added another part to your love story! Can’t wait for part 5!

[email protected]
    November 16, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Yay! Another love story post! Seriosuly, write a dang novel already. I will be your first customer! 🙂

Aleyta
    November 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Totally need a photo of THAT outfit!!! 🙂

Lacie
    November 17, 2011 at 4:01 am

I absolutely love this! Its the cutest thing in the world!! 😀 you two are an adorable couple. I wish I would have kept journals through my high school years…all those awesome memories I could account for every detail….oh well its ok. Thats what blogging is for right??

Make and Do Girl
    November 17, 2011 at 6:10 am

Who knew white platform Sketcher were the way to a man’s heart? I have so many journals from the years I was dating my husband too. I’ve thought about photocopying a few pages and framing them as a gift. He’d either love it or be convinced I was completely nuts.

JYag
    November 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Ahh!! I cannot wait to read the rest!

Justine
    November 18, 2011 at 7:15 am

Ashley! AH! I can’t wait to read more! This was such a teaser….. you are such a lucky girl. I hope all the single ladies meet someone with this type of anticipation 🙂

Traci
    November 19, 2011 at 4:33 am

Oh, my goodness! You’ve left me hanging!!! You’re an incredible writer! Can’t wait to hear about the date! =)

Hilary
    December 2, 2011 at 3:43 am

I heart your blog!! I am loving the love story. I’m inspired to write my own now. I want my kids to have the details and emotions documented. Can’t wait for part 5! I’m checking back every day for it!

ANI
    December 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

i cant wait to ready part 5!!!

Treasure
    December 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Please oh please post part 5. I’m waiting ever so anxiously!

Nicole S.
    December 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Wow! Okay so I can’t wait for #5. It’s like a book I can’t put down. You know when you are reading a good novel and you can picture it very vividly- yea this is it! You are such an amazing writer. I have enjoyed going through and reading bits of your blog today!

Erika
    December 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I can NOT wait till your next installment!!:) Hope you get to feeling better soon. I know it is hard to blog when you are feeling so sick:(

Carley
    December 14, 2011 at 2:46 am

This makes me melt.
    Hurry up and post Part 5,
    i’m DYING to hear about the first date!:))

chelseyadele
    December 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Part 5 please! i’ve been trying to be patient! haha

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims
    December 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I’m so excited for the next part to come out!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂

Ginger
    December 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

O wow! I love your story so much! This stuff is priceless!

I’m currently in the midst of a long and nuanced story of my own and I feel like you’ve inspired me to start keeping a journal again…

Rebecca N.Z
    December 20, 2011 at 9:38 pm

So beautiful! What an awesome story!! I think I need to start keeping journals for the years to come to look back on and remember the small details, because they really do make the story!
    cant wait to read the rest

congrats on your pregnancy as well

Megan
    December 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Love story part 5—HOW MANY EVER IT TAKES

Hi Ashley,

I just found your blog and was reading your love story. I read part 4 and then went through the archives looking for Part 5. YOU MUST FINISH!!! It’s like reading a Nicolas Sparks book. I’m HOOKED!!!

Megan

Thalia
    December 30, 2011 at 6:01 am

What just happened? I could have sworn I was just reading a novel. This was my first time on your site and I came across these love story posts– I just have to know what happens next!

Caitlin
    December 30, 2011 at 6:08 am

we need more!

Victoria
    December 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I just came across your blog and fell in love. I needed to know more about you and started reading the love story before realizing it was unfinished. When I got to the end of part 3 and you hadn’t even been on your first date I was a bit worried about how you could wrap up the entire story in one more part but kept reading.

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed to not be able to finish it. Can’t wait until you have a chance to post more. You’re a great storyteller!

Karly
    January 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Can you please finish your love story??!!

Hilary @ Lambieblog
    January 12, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I heart colored denim jean jackets. White, tangerine, and green all live in my closet! I can’t wait for the next part of this LoveStory series! I love how you add pics and Pinterest quotes. Your kids will love this one day if you print and make it a little book gift for them on one anniversary.

Treasure
    January 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Where’s part 5????

Tiffany
    January 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Oh my goodness! I just found your blog and I already love you and your husband! Ha ha! Your story is so sweet and I can’t wait to hear the rest!!

Kari Lynn
    January 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Yes, I agree with others – please finish the story! 🙂

Megan
    January 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I can’t wait for you to start feeling better so we can see pictures and read part 5!! 🙂

Jilyn
    January 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’m hooked on your love story. Can’t wait to read part 5 😀

Our Love Story: Part 5, The First Date - Little Miss Momma
    February 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

[…] Our Love Story: Part 5, The First Date February 21, 2012 By Ashley @ Little Miss Momma * 1 Comment Read the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 here. […]

Our Love Story: Part 6, After the Kiss - Love Story, Real Life - Little Miss Momma
    June 8, 2012 at 12:58 am

[…] the prologue here. Read part 1 here. Read part 2 here. Read part 3 here. Read part 4 here. Read part 5 here. Photo taken in my college apartment just after our second […]

witchycrazymommy
    February 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm

gushing here 🙂

harga besi cnp
    March 22, 2016 at 7:12 pm

So sweet, you need to write a YA novel