These are literally the best muffins I have ever made (or tasted). Bananas, cinnamon sugar, chocolate chips and walnuts served with melted butter, I mean! I shared this top secret recipe with you guys years ago. But since then, I have adapted it with some yummy new additions and tips. This was the very first thing I ever baked for Ben after we were married and I’m afraid I set the bar too high because I’m not sure I’ve ever been able to top them. They could probably even be taken to a whole new level with the frosting from this recipe added. Happy baking friends!
A few table spoons of cinnamon sugar to taste
Add the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, salt and vanilla and mix until blended. Add chocolate chips and pecans and stir until well mixed.
This is my girlfriends new and glorious all white kitchen–it’s basically a dream to bake in. Also, note that because of my extreme height disadvantage, I’ve learned that it is way easier to bake while standing on a stool. Other shorties out there should try it!
Spoon into paper muffin cups and place in a muffin pan. Fill each muffin about 3/4 full. Generously sprinkle cinnamon sugar to the tops of each muffin prior to baking. This will make the tops of each muffin sugary and crisp. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Watch them baking closely because I’ve noticed that every oven cooks these at very different rates. If you have a vintage oven (like I have many times before), you will have to be sure to keep an eye on your muffins to be sure they don’t burn. Perhaps even lower your temperature to 350 degrees.
Shirt found here.
Now here’s the SECRET. Squeeze open a warm muffin, add a slice of butter and let it melt. Then enjoy. I promise it will blow you’re mind. They are best served warm, so go ahead and pop them in the microwave for about 9-12 seconds to reheat later on.
- ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 or 3 RIPE bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ to ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ½ to ¾ pecans or walnuts (I used walnuts this time)
- Your muffins will be all the more fabulous if your bananas are super ripe.
- Beat the SOFTENED butter and white sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and mashed bananas and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, salt and vanilla and mix until blended. Add chocolate chips and pecans and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon into paper muffin cups and place in a muffin pan. Fill each muffin about ¾ full.
- Give a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar to the tops of each muffin before baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 more minutes then remove and place on a cooling rack to cool for an additional 10 minutes. Then enjoy their awesomeness.
- Then enjoy their awesomeness. Yields about 16 muffins.