craft

Pop of Red

I have about the opposite of a green thumb.
Would that be a black thumb?
Anyway, this hasn’t stopped me from wanting a bit of “green” and “life” growing inside my home.
So after asking some family and friends, the feedback seemed overwhelmingly in favor of succulents as the plant I would be least likely to kill.
Now I just needed something perfect to house them.

After being inspired by my friend’s centerpiece I knew my dining table needed a similar “pop” of color.  Now, Brooke’s find is oh-so-much cooler than mine (I’m still on the hunt for the perfect piece) but for now, this quick DIY is doing the trick.

4-04-DSC_0507

I found an unfinished 30-inch solid wood window planter box at Home Depot. Then I picked up a fun paint color in a small “sample” size. Followed by a quick drying clear wood finish to give it a semi gloss look.  The fun part is that I can repaint this box through the seasons. This color is Lipstick by Behr. I picked up these succulents from Ikea–there are 4 small plants in the planter box.
Recently Updated62-03-DSC_0511

1-DSC_0520

2-DSC_0518

1-02-DSC_0517

On another note, I just scored this mid-century modern buffet from Craigslist. Seriously the only half-decent find I’ve ever had on Craiglist. But now, what color to paint it…thoughts?

buffet

Jennifer
    February 11, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I think you should paint the buffet black. It would be a nice contrast to your dining table and bright accessories would really pop.

Keri-Anne
    February 11, 2013 at 8:58 pm

What a lovely idea. We are re-doing out garden in March and i would love to try these planters x

Christine
    February 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I say paint it a bright, popping color! 🙂 Maybe a nice mustard yellow or bright white.

Krystle
    February 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I’d say mustard yellow too! Or if tourquiose goes with your decor???
    Did you move? Looks like your living room is different than your house tour showed(from past posts) i am following you on Instagram.

Caroline
    February 11, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I think turquoise would be lovely!

Laura Smith
    February 11, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Sorry I’m off topic here… Are your shoes/boots the Toms Desert wedges? If so, they’re super cute, and I’m going to go copy you now.

Lissy
    February 11, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love turquoise furniture! I have painted a couple of old pieces of my furniture turqoise and I love how they pop!

School Sparks Renee
    February 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

I like the wood grain that shows though on the buffet. I would vote to not cover that up! Renee

jamie
    February 12, 2013 at 3:19 am

I’d stain it darker (like the floors?) but I love the wood grain, as another commenter said. Or maybe even distressed white to coordinate with the trim. Please no turquoise or yellow. I have a feeling those fad colors are fading.

Lindsey
    February 12, 2013 at 3:21 am

Love the red! And I love succulents! Great combo. 🙂

rebecca lopez
    February 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Either bring in a bold color that would accent that awesome planter, like turquoise or you could do something neutral like gray or white. Either way it’s a total score. Those floors are to dye for, are they real wood or laminate? I’m looking to redo ours soon.

amy s (OH)
    February 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I vote for a royal blue.

misty
    February 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Love the planter box color!!! I would paint the buffet table….white or grey.

Emily Kazmierski
    February 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Bright yellow or mint. Or maybe bright white.

Erin @ Axell's Kitchen
    February 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I don’t think you should paint it! I like the natural wood, but if anything maybe just stain it a darker color.

Danielle
    February 15, 2013 at 12:44 am

I don’t think you should paint it. It looks nice and vintage as is…if it ain’t broke…

[email protected]
    February 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Love that piece! what a find!! I have that same planter box sitting in my garage not knowing where to put it… for some reason I never thought about painting it! duh! I am going to do that and put it out! Thanks love!

Aneta
    March 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I would paint it a glossy white or black. Then you can add pretty accessories in bright colours. Can’t wait to see it!

Haley
    March 11, 2013 at 1:55 am

I have a farmhouse-style table too, and I was just saying the other day how I wanted a long skinny wooden box to sit in the center of it (a planter box like yours or one of those long wooden antique toolboxes). I’d have to opt for fake plants because I have a black thumb too. I’m not kidding. I’ve killed a bamboo and an aloe plant, both of which are very hardy and resilient.

Oh. And I probably would have chosen that color red based simply on the name. Lipstick. Adorable.

Haley
    March 11, 2013 at 1:58 am

And Awesome craigslist find. I paint just about everything turquoise, but right now I’m dreaming about painting furniture a dark blue color somewhere between navy and royal blue. I think that buffet would look awesome in navy.

Tracy
    March 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Turquoise is my favorite color so i’m a fan of that BUT grey and yellow Chevron would also be lovely. I am redoing something very similar for a friend. She has had it in the family for over 50 years and it is serious need of revamping.

I am actually thinking about getting some succulents for the house too. My daughter is 3.5 and she is ALL about growing plants this year. I have a really good green thumb and grow veggies and fruits in a big planter box outside but I figured that she could have a plant of her own. I am going to get a few succulents for her as like you said they tend to hold up better.

majece majece
    April 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

On https://homework-writer.com/blog/maria-montessori you can read more about Montessori education. I had such experience recently