eat

Healthy Stuffed Peppers Recipe

Stuffed peppers recipe title

stuffed peppers recipe

2-photo copy 7

This Stuffed Peppers Recipe is easy and healthy.
And I make it almost every week.
A bunch of you requested the scoop.
So here you have it, the recipe.

A thanks to my bud, Brittney for introducing me to this recipe way back when.
From Healthy Cooks illustrated Family Cookbook.

Stuffed Peppers Healthy Style

4 medium red, yellow or orange bell peppers, 1/2 inch trimmed off tops, cores and seeds discarded
1/2 cup long grain brown rice (I used wild rice from trader joes)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
1 medium onion, minced
2 teaspoons tomato paste
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
8 ounces ground beef or turkey
2 tomatoes (about 12 oz.), cored, seeded, and chopped medium
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup shredded 50 percent light Cheddar (I use regular not light–I don’t mess around when it comes to cheese)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and bell peppers.
  3. Cook until peppers just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
  4. Using slotted spoon, remove peppers from pot, drain off excess water and place peppers cut side up on paper towels.
  5. Return water to boil; add rice and boil until tender, about 25-30 minutes.
  6. Drain rice and transfer to large bowl; set aside.
  7. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F.
  8. Meanwhile, heat 12 inch heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes; add oil and swirl to coat.
  9. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  10. Add ground beef and cook, breaking beef into small pieces with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
  11. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down, 1 to 2 minutes.
  12. Stir the warm beef mixture, 3/4 cup of the cheddar, parsley , and lemon juice into the rice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  13. Pat the inside of the peppers dry with paper towels, then place the peppers in an 8″ square baking dish. Divide the filling evenly among the peppers and top with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake until the cheese is browned and the filling is heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve.
    If you make ahead, stuffed peppers can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Let the peppers sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then bake as directed.

Yum!

Farmers-Market-Party-640x400

Lindsay Roberts
    February 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Ok I am super excited you posted this. Cant wait to try xoxoxo

Whitney
    February 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

We loved stuffed peppers over here too! I’m totally going to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Aimee @like mother like daughter
    February 10, 2013 at 12:41 am

mmm i love stuffed peppers and a healthier version sounds amazing!

Kate
    February 11, 2013 at 1:01 am

I am loving that hydrangea in the mason jar!

xx,
    Kate

Ummmnowwhat.blogspot.com

Sandra R
    February 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I have made this recipe before (from the same cookbook) and it’s a favorite of mine!
    I actually don’t boil the peppers, I cut them in half (lengthwise) and fill them that way so the peppers are still very crunchy and it’s easier to eat.
    Seriously, now I’m craving this and must go to the produce market to buy my ingredients for tonight 🙂

misty
    February 11, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Yum!! I am so gonna try this!

Jess
    February 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Hi, Ashley. I am One of your hubby’s many first cousins (dads side). Anyway, this recipe looks awesome, can’t wait to test it out on the family tonight.

Sarah
    February 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Made these tonight & LOVED them! Healthy can be delicious folks! 😉

Morgan
    February 28, 2013 at 1:15 am

I made the peppers tonight for my husband and I. Ooo La La scrumptious! Thanks for the easy to follow directions.

stronger
    March 12, 2014 at 9:00 am

About three teams of 10-15 representatives for lower calf waves.
    If you want to lose weight and obtain rid of stretch marks on arms fast, do both at the same time.
    And switch the exercises for other ones another week.

microfiche scanning services
    April 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Research indicates Vitex works on receptors
    in your brain which normally help you deal with discomfort,
    but which switch off just before menstruation. “Vital – VMH is a multivitamin health supplement with natural extracts for everyday health and wellbeing”, says Doug.
    Alternative approaches, like a careful gardener, work to remove
    infections, reverse precancerous changes, and increase the health of the woman and her cervix with as little disruption as possible.
    Where your foods come from plays a big role in your health.

Use these four tips to get your life back into focus, to get all the chores and extracurricular duties completed, and
    to carve out a little me time at the end of the day.

Leah
    September 16, 2014 at 5:15 am

I cannot find ‘print icon’ I can’t copy and paste to my MS Word (new computer, and needed to get MS office soon). So please add ‘print’ icon so that we can print it…

My 13 years old son requested me to make it, so I am gonna try that tonight….

Thanks

Leah
    September 16, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Im posting this again but different comments 🙂

I made that last night, and I love the FILLINGS! OMG! I added pepper jack cheese in it…soooo good! I am not crazy about bell peppers. I did not boil it, I left it the way it is. My husband loves it! My youngest, no 🙁 It is a lot of work but def make it again. I used food processor to chop the onions and carrots. Life saver!

I did not add cheese with the mixture but I put Munster cheese on top. It came out fine. 🙂 Next time I’ll be sure to have extra cheese in the filling.

Maybe next time I’ll chop up the bell peppers and mix with filling. It’ll be as like casserole instead of stuffed pepper.

Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! It is a keeper!

Leah

Morgan
      October 2, 2014 at 12:07 am

Leah – I actually make it in kind of a goulash way. I chop up the peppers but only use 3 instead of 4. I also add extra stock so it’s a little more saucy since it’s not in the peppers. My family loves it that way! Plus, I’m too impatient to wait for the peppers to cook in the oven, lol!

HERVE LEGER
    March 21, 2020 at 10:45 am

“I love the idea of movement, but this White Bandage Dress can be especially difficult to achieve with a knit because they’re all