live

Hawaii Part 2

Read part 1 here.

hawaii 72In my last post I talked all about our experience at the Disney Aulani.  Because there was so much to do, we only spent 2 of the 8 days off the resort. The first day we spent checking out the North Shore and the surrounding area. Then because we had so much fun, we went back a second time a few days later.  hawaii 70

hawaii 24

Beautiful peacock that followed us around Waimea.

hawaii 34

Trying to decide on my new Hawaii trucker hat.

hawaii 25 We did a quick hike to Waimea Falls. This was the perfect hike for families with small children because the entire path is paved.  Normally you are even able to swim in the falls, but because of recent rain it wasn’t safe (and it was super muddy).  We didn’t have the greatest experience on this hike because the kids got tired and were then frustrated that they couldn’t go in the water.  The majestic beauty was lost on them.  Also, it was a bit pricey for a quick hike ($15 per person–probably would have been worth it if we could have gone swimming).  hawaii 69
Then we stuck out like a sore thumb as the only tourists checking out the local surf spot. I have never seen water conditions that were so intense. No amount of convincing could have gotten me in that water. But it was absolutely beautiful and we even were graced with a rainbow. hawaii 49 hawaii 47 hawaii 44hat and coverup details herehawaii 41 hawaii 40Then, there I was, minding my own business, standing at the edge of the beach taking pictures of Ben wrangling the kiddos off in the distance, when I turn to my right to see someone I positively recognize. It couldn’t be…oh, but it was. JACK JOHNSON! Ya know, just hitting up his local surf spot like it ain’t no thang.  I was star struck.  It’s something extra rad to see a celebrity that you LOVE. But I kept my distance (aside from this creepy, stalker photo I took). jack johnsonWe headed into town to hit up some food trucks and local vendors.  No, we didn’t try any of the shrimp trucks that y’all recommended and I’m super bummed about it. But we did try the crepes, fish tacos, fresh coconut and a crazy/amazing hotdog wrapped in a french roll. Best. Food. Ever.  hawaii 35hawaii 36hawaii 30 hawaii 37 hawaii 39 hawaii 27 hawaii 26hawaii 31hawaii 23photoWes needed a little alone time with Momma, so we went to Cholos to get his favorite–chips and guacamole.

On the way home from the North Shore, we stopped to visit the Laie Hawaii LDS temple.  Absolutely stunning a serene.  There’s something so special about being able to introduce our children to new temples throughout the world. hawaii 22 hawaii 21hawaii 19
And that’s our trip in a nut shell you guys. I know there was so much more to see on the island so I can’t wait to go back. Aloha!

Kristine Foley
    March 1, 2014 at 1:08 am

We swam under Waimea Falls when we were visiting that island a few years back! SO fun! Boo on the mud. Zoom lenses are totally perfect for creepy stalker photos 🙂

Sabrina
    March 1, 2014 at 1:08 am

Trucker/Baseball at on a grown woman = MOM, haha! Is it because we don’t have time to brush our hair?

Looks like a fun trip!

Lisa
    March 1, 2014 at 1:42 am

Oh I’m so jealous! I used to live in Laie and miss the sun and beach so much. Alas, I will relive it through your beautiful photography.

Noelle
    March 1, 2014 at 1:45 am

Love it! We were just on the North Shore in December and already want to go back! Bummer you couldn’t get int he water at Waimea – we were able to in December! The Laie temple is one of the most serene temples I have been to! North Shore is so amazing!

Sarah
    March 1, 2014 at 3:11 am

This looks like such an amazing trip!! I hope we can go there soon! Was the resort super expensive?

Aimee
    March 1, 2014 at 7:21 am

JACK JOHNSON!!! I can’t believe you spotted him!! So crazy! I don’t know if I could have stayed away.

Shirley
    March 1, 2014 at 11:37 am

So jealous but happy you all had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless!

Caitlin @ {walker whimsy}
    March 2, 2014 at 3:38 am

This a breath of fresh salty ocean air to my poor frozen nose hairs (yes, that really does happen). Our Colorado winter has been LONG indeed. Thanks for sharing the beauty and joy!

Caitlin

Justine
    March 2, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Hi Little Miss Momma! I have been reading for a few years. Thank you for this post! I was wondering if you would be willing to share your swimsuit? The coral one?

Thanks!
    Justine
    Simplyjustbricks.com

Family Vacations | Theo & Lily
    March 3, 2014 at 3:37 pm

[…] mine unfortunately but check out this family trip to Hawaii blog post by little miss momma , awww the pics look so nice, wanna […]

Carly Ragragola
    March 4, 2014 at 2:45 am

You should have said hi to Jack. Seriously, one of the nicest, most down to earth person there is. Love your HI pics.

Katie Albury
    March 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Ah this trip looks amazing! Gorgeous family moments!

Katie x

Charmaine
    March 5, 2014 at 12:43 am

Looks like y’all had a blast these photos are precious!

Erica Graham
    March 5, 2014 at 1:17 am

I can’t believe you saw Jack Johnson! My 5 year old son would have lost his mind, we love Jack! The trip looks so beautiful, Hawaii is the best place in the world!

MoscowMama
    March 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Hi Ashley….(love your name…it’s my oldest daughters’ name :-))…just a quick question:

I am on the short side too – 5’2—can you recommend some cute bathing suits for us shorter mamas?

Thanks!

Brittney
    March 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I mean… soooo pretty! That surf beach is unreal! Everything looks amazing. How fun!!!!!!!!!

capturing joy with kristen duke
    March 11, 2014 at 12:21 pm

love going to new temples around the world, too. special, indeed.

Alexa
    May 18, 2014 at 1:26 am

I am absolutely in love with Hawaii. I’ve been to a lot of places but something always draws me back to the Hawaiian Islands. Plus you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. Most of the parks, trails, and beaches are free so if, like us, you prefer the trails and the reef over a nice pool and hotel bar it can be quite affordable.

I love that you did Disney Aulani. When we have kids and they start asking about Disney World that is what we plan on doing too!

Take a look at some of my Hawaiian posts in the link below

Lynda Knight
    November 12, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Hawaii is my favorite place on earth. I can`t remember a time when I was there and I don`t spent my vacation fantastic! Thank you for sharing your post!
    Best regards!