craft

Dollar Store DIY Boys Room Wall Art

I’m in the middle of giving Lil W’s room a bit of a “big boy” makeover.  Aside from his red race car bed, we still have all of his light blue and brown nursery decor in the room–and it just looks mismatched.  And considering he is obsessed with all things related to cars and trucks, we’ll be going in this direction for our theme.

I made this wall art using frames from the Dollar Tree.  It was super easy.

Supplies:
6 4×6 plastic frames from the Dollar Tree
Spray paint
Hot glue gun (and E 600 glue)
3 sheets of colored card stock
3 sheets of white card stock
glue stick

First I removed the backing and glass from the frames. Then glue them together using hot glue. The backside will look pretty messy, but the front will be perfect.

Then I spray painted the front. I found out that in some places the plastic frames didn’t take to the spray paint that well. So I touched up the frames with acrylic paint.

While the frame was drying I used my Silhouette to cut out these cute truck shapes. Then I glued them down on six pieces of 4×6 white cardstock.

Then I put them in the frames. I left out the glass just so that it would be a little safer in Lil W’s room.

IN HINDSIGHT: The hot glue is probably not the best to use, because over time the frames will fall apart. Once the hot glue dried, I actually went over the whole frame with E 6000 glue.  Also, I think the project would be easier with wood frames–I just couldn’t pass up these cute ones for only a $1.

Lindsey S
    September 10, 2011 at 12:16 am

Cute! I keep wanting to check out my dollar stores (we actually have 4, which is weird cuz I live in a tiny little town!) I just need to work up the courage to go in with both boys! (one is 2 1/2 the other is 7 mo)

irene
    September 10, 2011 at 12:28 am

OMG its cute! i love your DIY.

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Love Simple Green

Megan
    September 10, 2011 at 12:31 am

What a cute project! I am looking into buying a silhouette. Any recommendations on where to buy at a good price?

Heidi
    September 10, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love this idea! I need some art in my daughters room and this is a great way to save some money. I would suggest taking a light sandpaper to the frames right before spraying them with paint, it will help it to adhere better. great job!

Stefani
    September 10, 2011 at 12:34 am

Cute project. Perfect for a little boys room. 🙂

Mindy Harris
    September 10, 2011 at 12:40 am

ashley you are so good at coming up with novel ideas! i love this, especially because it’s inexpensive. since i don’t have a silhouette, what do u recommend?

Tracy
    September 10, 2011 at 12:52 am

Ohhh I like it ! The yellow is awesome ! I don’t have a silhouette, so I was even thinking dollar store flash cards !!!!

cassie
    September 10, 2011 at 1:49 am

Very cute!

Mariah
    September 10, 2011 at 2:32 am

Very sweet! There’s so many options, so many variations for this! I Love the grouping of the photo frames. Great idea.

Shelley
    September 10, 2011 at 2:54 am

This is so perfect! Love the fun shapes of the cars and especially love the bright yellow frames. I’m sure he’ll love it Ashley 😀

Kari - Ucreate
    September 10, 2011 at 5:52 am

Love that you made something so cute out of $1 frames!! Inexpensive and fun!

Brittany Davis
    September 10, 2011 at 6:58 am

It turned out perfect!!! I LOVE the bright colors with the yellow…..glad you went with that over the gray 🙂 Now I just need to see it in PERSON!

Stephanie @ 4eighteen.com
    September 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

Great idea, I don’t know that I would have come up with the idea to glue frames together. I’ll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for a great idea!

Lindsay
    September 10, 2011 at 7:09 am

Those are so cute! I would love to make those for my son’s room. He looooves cars and trucks!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape
    September 10, 2011 at 11:21 am

These turned out super cute! I love the yellow.

Caitlin
    September 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm

look at you girlfriend! when i went to pinterest today the picture of the frame was on the front page!!! awesome!

Jamie
    September 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Very cute! I love simple and colorful decorations! :o)

Jenna, SAS Interiors
    September 11, 2011 at 12:39 am

Just found your site and I LOVE this idea! Will be sharing on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/sasinteriors) and I just liked it on Stumble Upon! Awesome!

~Jenna

Jackie
    September 11, 2011 at 12:51 am

what a cute idea! you could do this for anything too, not just a baby room. thanks 🙂

Janet
    September 11, 2011 at 2:52 am

Love this! Your big boy wall art is so fun and bright and I love the price tag!

Lindsay
    September 11, 2011 at 4:24 am

ADORABLE! I cant wait to see what else you do with his room. He’s so lucky to have such a crafty momma!

Lacy
    September 11, 2011 at 4:45 am

This is a super cute idea! My 2 yr old LOVES cars and trucks as well. You probably already have bedding, but I just got the cutest truck sheets and quilt at Target and they just clearanced it out too, even better:) Can’t wait to see the finished room:)

Melissa
    September 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

We are going to do a truck and car theme for my little guy too. This is super cute!

Amanda {at} DAES of Our Lives
    September 12, 2011 at 12:56 am

That’s a great idea!! I’m about to be decorating for THREE boys – I will definitely keep this in mind!

Summer @ Made By Munchie's Mama
    September 12, 2011 at 6:40 am

These are soooo cute! I am doing transportation in Gav’s big boy room and after painting the walls and getting the bedding I totally stalled…I did have a baby so I have a bit of an excuse, but this gives me inspiration to get back to work! Thanks!

Caitlin
    September 30, 2011 at 4:20 am

this is my inspiration to redo my 2 year olds room. can we have another photo update of lil ws room please!!

How to Make a Fabric Memo Board - Little Miss Momma
    October 4, 2011 at 6:02 am

[…] project in my goal towards a new look for Lil W’s room–a fabric memo board. Click here to see the DIY truck wall art project. And click here to see the DIY Children’s Artwork […]

Boy's car and truck room: little miss momma - Little Miss Momma
    October 16, 2011 at 12:11 am

[…] You may remember this yellow frame project. And while it turned out cute, it didn’t stand the test of time. By the time I was ready to hang it, the glue had decided to come apart, so I need to do some repair work before I get it up.  But you can still see the tutorial here. […]

kimbowest
    October 17, 2011 at 5:07 am

featured this today on my blog.

Tiffany
    March 18, 2012 at 2:59 am

Love this idea!! 🙂
    This week I had a post with some things that were giving me inspiration for the play area I’m trying to set up for my son, and included this. He LOVES cars and something like this would be so perfect for him.

13 Easy, Beautiful Dollar Store DIY Projects » According to Jen | Lifestyle Blog
    May 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

[…] 10. Multiple Photos Picture Frame […]

25 Pretty DIY Wall Art Ideas To Decorate Walls | Its Jello!
    July 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm

[…] Tutorial here. […]

Teri c
    February 24, 2015 at 10:05 am

i adore this project, and appreciate the warning about the glue. What I would like to know tho, is where did you find those images? I have a playroom for my grandchildren, and this would make a great addition! Thank you for any leads! ☺️