celebrate

carnivalsign

wescone

Neon Shorts: Target.  Captain Adorable top c/o: The Printed Palette
15% OFF with the code: LMM15

wesouchie

carnival

Hat: Anthropolgie // Glasses: TOMS // Shirt: F21 // Pants: Old Navy last season //
Shoes: Target  // Watch: Nordstrom

carnival1

jump

saw

Even in 90 degree weather,
there really isn’t anything better than a weekend carnival happening in your own neighborhood.

There were dunk tanks,
and cupcakes,
and bounce houses,
and sweaty toddlers,
and drippy snow cones,
and of course my personal favorite–kettle corn.

I’m pretty sure I could have gotten away with telling Wesley that this was his birthday celebration and he would have been perfectly happy. At one point, for the briefest of seconds, I felt like I was living that alternate “small-town” life I always dreamed about–you know, those towns from Gilmore Girls, Dawsons Creek and every Nicholas Spark novel.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
And if you do live in that small-town Gilmore Girls fairytale,
please leave a comment telling me all about it so I can swoon and dream.

Pidg
    May 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

On a ranch in Wyoming, growing our own food and living off the love of family. Near a small town would be nice just so I could say “I’m going into town to get a few things.” Your boys look so much alike they’re just growing like little “man” flowers!

Candice williams
    May 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm

If I could live anywhere in the world it would be right where I am- Orange County California. My favorite place.

Those cupcakes in the ice cream comes are so cute. I’ve always wanted to make those myself!

Margaret
    May 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Given your 90 degree weather I would have to say California, because here in England the sun has forgotten how to shine. Every day is grey! Please send us some sunshine. Alternatively, I would like to live in a Hollywood musical because there is always a happy ending . Your weekend looks like so much fun 🙂

Tiffany
    May 22, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Oh my gosh yes, Stars Hollow!!! I would move there in a heart beat. 🙂 One coffee place…the theater with the one red couch. Skip in shorts delivering the mail. The feeling of family in and among your friends! 🙂 Let’s go now! 🙂

Mindy
    May 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm

#2 is not even a year old, you look amazing!

Becca
    May 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

At the moment I am definitely living in a small community where everyone knows each other and the sun is shining all the time….quite literally. I am living in the high Arctic at the most northernly continuously habited spot in the world. The temperature isn’t quite comparable to yours in California, we’re just starting to inch above -10C (14F). Thank you for the post.

Alicia
    May 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I live in a small town in British Columbia called Powell River. 1200 is the population.
    It’s part of the sunshine coast, which means our town is built beside the ocean. We have a tiny Walmart, and only two fast food restaurants. The rest are all local.

The only way to reach our town is by ferry or plane since one side of our toown is ocean, and the other side is mountains and forest.

My neighbors are a farm with horses and sheep. And some nights bears wander into my yard. The whole downtown is one street with little local art shops, and a bowling alley.

Sandy T
    May 22, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I’m in a small town in South Carolina currently. From the Washington, DC area, and MUCH prefer the small town feel…other than the limited shopping (perfect excuse to go home). I love small town festivals and am headed to one this weekend. This is the season for them, and I love it! Love your blog, thanks for being so honest!

michelle
    May 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Wes looks like he had a blast. Sawyer is just the cutest baby ever! xoxo

Jackie
    May 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I grew up in a small Tennessee town (still live a few miles from it :).). Growing up our entertainment was cruising “the strip”, football games, county fairs, and catching lightening bugs. Hot summer nights making homemade ice cream with the neighbors. Wonderful memories! I wouldn’t want to live or raise my children anywhere else.

Love reading your blog!

Jen
    May 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Love Wesley’s outfit! I also love your sandals, I’ve been looking for some. I think I may have to stop by Target.

Sabrina
    May 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks so much for always trying to post where your outfits come from! Next internet stop…..Target.com for those sandals!

P.S. My favorite fictional town that I wish I lived in is also Stars Hollow. Every town needs a Babette and Ms. Patty. 😀

Mandy
    May 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I live in a relatively small midwest town, where everyone gathers in mid-June for our annual “Steamboat Days”. A week filled with carnival rides, fried foods, art booths, car shows, boat races, concerts, beer tents and everything in between. It’s located between the Mississippi and to small lakes, all surrounded by bluffs, making it feel much more quaint than it probably is. Every year, it makes me feel like I’m right where I belong:)

Tara
    May 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I’m addicted to searching big old homes in small towns like the ones in Nicholas Spark’s novels, I dream of convincing my husband to practice in one after residency… I want it all, the little festivals, the weekend parties, main street, no chain restaurants… Swoon! Your babies are so tan- gorgeous!

Kasey McCoy
    May 23, 2013 at 12:23 am

Whenever I think of or see a Carnival it makes me want a funnel cake. 🙂

Laura
    May 23, 2013 at 1:16 am

I have always wanted to live in the Gilmore Girls town. When I first discovered the show I Googled to see if the town did in fact exist. I was saddened to see it did not. And I must know if there truly is a town out there that resembles it, because if so, pack up the family, we’re moving!

siobhan
    May 23, 2013 at 1:21 am

Currently my family is stuck, as in would move in a heart beat if I could without looking back, in Los Angeles,Ca. I don’t do big cities and living here for the past 3yrs has proven that even more to me. Before LA we lived in a mid-sized town of 60,000 people called Redlands and it was big on community. It also has old Victorian houses, community plays in an amplithitor where everyone brings blankets to sit on and picnic. We just went back this last weekend to attend an old time car show and chili cook off, and watch my sons friend compete in the regional Pinewood Derby Race. I loved walking down a neighborhood street, smelling the fresh cut grass and the neighbors all said hi. It’s only an hour away from LA, but feels like a hole new world.

annie
    May 23, 2013 at 4:44 am

looks so fun =) I totally know what you mean with “in every Nicolas Sparks movie.” I would love to live in any of those cute, small, by the ocean towns! But Alexandria, Virginia will always have my heart! I would love to live there!

Danielle
    May 23, 2013 at 2:53 pm

If I could live anywhere, it would be in my hometown(s) of South Bay, Ca! I’m talking about the real South Bay, outside of Los Angeles county 🙂 Right now I live in Plymouth, Mass. It is a large town but it definitely has a small town feel. I live in the downtown section so we can walk to pretty much everything, which is nice and there are plenty of parks and historical monuments for my family to play with 🙂

Rachael @ Tiny Snowflakes
    May 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm

That looks so fun! Don’t get me started on how much I would have loved to live in Stars Hollow, pretty much my ideal town right there! But if I had to choose an actual place to live it would be in a house overlooking the ocean. That’s all I need.

Stephanie
    May 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I love our life in the Lancaster ,PA area, and it is pretty “small town,” but my aunt lives in Sunnybank, Va and it is EXACTLY the kind of small town you are talking about. They literally know everyone and there are always garden tours and parades and all kinds of awesomeness. But they also have to drive over an hour to get to a Walmart and you can just forget about Target. Give and take, I guess. Your carnival looks awesome.

michelle
    May 24, 2013 at 12:22 am

Right where I currently live. Carnation, Washington is a typical small town. Parades, pancake breakfasts, Sr. Center Dinners and more. we have a wonderful trail system, a beautiful river and best of all, close sense of community. We are only 20 – 30 minutes of major shopping (Trader Joes, Target and Costco) and we even have a Starbucks right here in our lil town. If I won the Lottery, I would tear down our existing house and put up my dream home right here!

Michelle
    May 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

So I hate you just a little bit bc you can wear white pants and totally look awesome. lol Kidding, but you do look awesome! Looks like you guys had a blast 🙂

Sarah
    May 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Any small town in North Carolina is actually like those Nicholas Sparks stories. I’ve lived here my entire life and it’s all true 😉 Come visit!! Vaca to east coast!

Staci
    May 29, 2013 at 4:52 am

We live in Kamas, Utah. 20 minutes from Park City. I can not dream of living anywhere else! I change my tune every March when the winter hangs on just a little too long, but quickly fall back in love with it in May. We finally have two stop lights and the best hand cut fries and shakes at the local pharmacy. I can still get my cafe rio & shopping fix quickly, but drop back into my valley and thank the heavens above that I get to raise my babies here.

Amy
    May 29, 2013 at 5:40 am

I would love to live in Tofino British Columbia or the place the Weasley’s in Harry potter live!

Lauren
    June 2, 2013 at 2:37 am

I am living in one of those Nicholas Sparks novels…he is my neighbor,I literally can be at his house in 1 minute.
    New Bern, NC it’s a sweet,small town and I couldn’t be happier!

Sarah
    June 18, 2013 at 2:29 am

I do live in one of those small towns right out of Gilmore Girls.

We have festivals for everything. Everything.

We walk down the street and say hello to 20 different people.

When we get ice cream from the towns ice cream shop, they only take cash. But a smile will suffice if you’re a little short.

It’s a tiny little town that I did not want to move to. I fought my husband every step of the way.

And now that I’m here? I love it.