celebrate

Gourmet Club: Italian Dinner Party

It was our groups turn to host Gourmet Club this month.  For those who have been wondering about Gourmet Club, you can check out these posts about past dinners we’ve hosted.  And you can click here to read how gourmet club works.

This month we chose an Italian theme.  For the tablescape, we used 12 different plates and 12 different napkins–I was going for an eclectic and whimsical look. To create each place setting, I used a set of 6 unique plates that I already owned, then I borrowed a few plates from friend’s sets and picked up three new plates from Home Goods. We set up in my backyard on a 10 foot picnic table, which allowed enough room for everyone to sit comfortably. If you’re considering hosting a dinner party with multiple courses, I suggest checking out the “catering” section of World Market. I have a set of 12 glass goblets, 12 salad plates and 12 dessert bowls.  I pull them out for holidays and dinner parties, and then I package them back up in their box when I’m not using them and store them in the garage.  They are pretty affordable and super convenient. Here are some photos of the evening (scroll down for the dinner menu):

dinnerboost3

dinner12

dinner21

dinner15

dinner14

menu
Appetizer: Pizza Margherita, Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto
Starter: Italian Herbs & Green Salad (tip: use Meyer lemons in this recipe)
Main Course: Baked Sole Fillets With Herbs and Bread Crumbs, Ragu Alla Bolognese, Pan-Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Butter
Dessert: Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato, Pavlova with Fresh Fruit
Note: several of these recipes are from Cooks Illustrated which require membership to view–I linked to them anyway in case you have a membership or were interested.

dinner13

dinner30

dinner27

dinner26

dinner31

dinner32

Sheets of pasta before they were cut.

dinner34

These meal was so much more beautiful than this photo demonstrates–I just can’t take a “night-time” photo for the life of me.

dinner38

pavlova

For those who were wondering what the world’s yummiest dessert is…it’s Pavlova–hands down!

dinner40

dinnerafter

And that’s a wrap. Any ideas for a theme for our next turn? Our past themes have been Farmers Market (where we picked everything we cooked), and Steakhouse (where our menu was made up of items you would find at your favorite fancy steakhouse).

Kat G.
    April 27, 2013 at 5:23 am

A mexican food fiesta theme dinner would be super cute (and yummy!).

Abbey
    April 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm

How fun! I would love to do something like this in Ohio!

[email protected]
    April 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm

LOOKS DARLING ASH! I ALWAYS LOVE THE WAY YOU SET THINGS AND PARTIES UP! SO TALENTED!

Brandi
    April 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This looks amazing! I need to start one of these myself.

Where did you get that amazing picnic table?

Lisa
    April 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Definitely a fiesta night. This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your lovely evening.

Michelle
    April 27, 2013 at 5:25 pm

how about a Spanish themed tapas night with homemade sangria ! Yum ! Love your table settings by the way – and the sunflowers and herb centerpieces !

Rena
    April 28, 2013 at 3:01 am

Beautiful
    Great job! You could do chinese…or Japanese….or a certain spice/food that’s in each dish like cinnamon or chocolate.

Jay {at} Purple Eggplant
    April 28, 2013 at 3:13 am

Beautiful table decor … Before AND after !

suburbsmama
    April 28, 2013 at 5:07 am

This is stunning! I want to join your dinner club! Such a great idea! I may need to start my own club. If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-link-party-5.html

Claudia
    April 28, 2013 at 8:41 am

Ashley, you did an amazing job! I am Italian and your food and tablescape were awesome! Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog for a few months but never stopped to say hi! I love your blog, it’s full of love, colors and inspiration 🙂 Take care and enjoy your Sunday!

Mary
    April 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Wow Ashley, you have me drooling over here! As an Italian, this has me wanting to replicate this meal! I actually just sent my husband this link and told home that we have to make all of these this summer! Great job on it! Thanks for also linking where your items came from, I have been looking for a beverage dispenser like a giant mason jar. The reviews on WM mentioned some leaking issues, did yours leak?

Michelle
    April 28, 2013 at 11:03 pm

What is the recipe for your salad? Looks delicious

Caroline
    April 29, 2013 at 4:30 pm

The table setting looked beautiful and the food looked delish! You should try a Mexican theme next time. 🙂

Jessie
    April 30, 2013 at 2:40 am

Your photos look gorgeous and this looks like so much fun! My fave…the striped straws in the wine glasses. It’s all in the details, right? Hmmm…as for a theme…this is by means original, but brunch is my fave, so I have to stay true to that:)

Jessie @PossibleMary

Sarah F.
    April 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm

How cute! I LOVE pavlova, my mom always made it when I was younger. I just featured a grilled cheese bar on my blog, which is a great idea for a dinner party (and totally interactive!).
    –Sarah
    parallelfoodiverse.wordpress.com

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss
    May 4, 2013 at 4:30 am

Ok, how do I join?? 😉

Sarah M.
    May 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

Ahhh…so cute!! How do you have so many different dishes? Also, where did that drink dispenser come from? LOVE it!

Sarah M.
    May 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

I think you should do a fiesta themed one!

Rylee
    February 26, 2014 at 4:51 am

Ashley,

Did you make, or buy this picnic table? We are looking for one for our first house, with out first backyard, eek! I’m wanting to host a billion dinner parties this summer, and realllly need a lovely picnic table.

xo