style

DIY Straight Hair and Feather Extensions

Sometimes I get stuck in a rut.
Same ol’ routine, without even realizing that it might be time for a change.

Take my flat iron for example.
It’s about 6 years old.
And ghetto.
Cracks, mystery discoloration, and a melted cord.
But yet, every time I straighten my hair,
I faithfully bust out my hunk of junk
and attempt to tame my mane.
The result: straw like straight hair, I call it “crunchy hair”.
I have never quite gotten the “sleek-straight” look I am going for,
and I always thought it was because I was using the wrong technique.

And then…
Misikko sent me this brand new Hana flat iron,
and I was blown away at the difference it made.
My hair came out straight AND silky.
My hair never got stuck or tangled on the flat iron,
and I no longer looked like I had split ends.
Hallejuah!

This is how I flat iron my hair.

Hana Flat Iron c/o Misikko

1. Wet hair
2. I let it air dry for a bit so you can see all my crazy cowlicks and frizz.
3. I part my hair and blow dry the bottom half first.
4. Then,I blow dry the top half.  I try to dry the top half in an upwards motion to give it more volume. I part my hair again and flat iron the bottom half first, Then I flat iron the top half.  I use a large round brush to get a mini Snookie poof going in the back.

And now, a moment of pure honesty.
I like to think I hide my hair pulling VERY well.
I have my extensions to give the illusion that I have more hair.
Currently, I am pulling the majority of hair from the top of my head…
Hardest spot to hide a bald spot, let me tell you.
I use Joan Rivers hair powder to cover the bald spots on top of my head.
Here is before the powder:

And then after I finish flat ironing and filling in with powder:

Misikko also sent me a super rad feather extension for my hair.
The best part is that it is DIY, so all I needed was a pair of pliers and I was able to put it in myself.

Feather Hair Extension c/o Misikko

I prefer the subtle look with of a feather extension, so I put it under a large section of hair so it just peeks through.

And that’s the latest in my hair adventures.
Check out Misikko for literally every hair product and accessory you could ever imagine.

tarah
    August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

your hair looks fantastic! love the color and length!

Julie
    August 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Your hair looks great!! As always!

Love the new blog design!!

Heidi
    August 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

A- Your hair looks great! Then again I love your style so I’m pretty sure in my book I would never think you are having a bad fashion/ hair day.
    PS: My straightener is right up there with being ghetto fab. i have had my chi for about 7 years. It has broken on me twice. Good thing the hubs is an electrical enginerd as he has replaced it twice for me with… an extension cord! lol.

Heidi
    August 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I don’t know if I am alone here, but ever since your new blog switched over, I cannot see your pics either in reader OR on your actual blog! It is killing me because I love to see the pics! Dang! Do you know what it could possibly be??

Laura @ Meet Virginia
      August 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Same here!!!

kt
      August 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i can’t see the pics on reader since the switch either. but once i click over, they are here. i tried “unsubscribing” and re-subscribing and it didn’t help 🙁

Michelle Lanning
        August 16, 2011 at 4:22 am

I was just coming to post that very thing! Can’t see a thing!

Jenny
      August 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

The same thing happened to me!!! I am going crazy because I am addicited!!! LOL

Jenae
    August 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Oh goodness don’t get me started on how ghetto and huge my straight Iron is I think I got it around 8 years ago?…its still going strong!! but I might need to update soon 🙂 and I am loving the feather extension!

Megan @ Meg's Craft Creations
    August 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm

LOVE the extension! About a year ago, I replaced my ghetto flatiron and I was amazed at the difference! I know exactly what you mean by “crunchy” straight hair…i was “blessed” with it too! Yuck.

Summer Crosbie
    August 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I love that you share your life so openly! You are beautiful. 🙂

Shirley L
    August 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

It looks awesome!!!!

krista
    August 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

gosh– you look so pretty. i have no patience for flat irons…my hair never looks this nice after i use mine:). love, love the feather hair piece! it’s totally awesome!:)

xo

Leigh Anne
    August 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Super cute! Thanks for sharing 🙂 And yes, I agree a good flat iron is SOOO worth it!

katie
    August 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm

i thought i was alone, but i can’t see the pictures either. sad day.

Heather
    August 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I had an old flat iron like that too! Unfortunatly, one day mine split right in half! At the joint! So I had to get a new one. But I have had my blow dryer since I was 16! (and i am 28 now) Still works like a charm and it is SOOOO quiet!

I love your blog! You are such an inspiration for me! Thank you!

Shannon Staker
    August 15, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Love it Ashley!!! And just for those others interested! I have unbelievable deals on feathers at my shop! Why? Because I bought them wholesale so I could get some, and I’m selling the rest just at cost! You can check them out at http://www.shannonmakesstuff.blogspot.com! Thanks a ton! Keep rocking your gorgeous locks!

Debbie
    August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I feel so much better about my ghetto fabulous straightener lol. On top of it taking me over an hour to do my hair, yep, it’s crunchy. *sigh* you may have just made me want through it outside in a rainstorm so I can get a new one lol. Love the feathers, something I should look into!!!

Lindsey S
    August 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

You look beautiful Miss Ashley! Will you please come to my house and do my hair too? Wish I could afford extensions….my hair is super fine to begin with, and after baby #3, seems like its gotten so much worse! Luv ya! =0)

Jill
    August 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I am also having the same problem of not being able to see pictures when it is delivered to my e-mail. Love the hair!

Mindie
    August 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm

My hairs naturally thin and I have been kick-en around trying that powder, glad to know you like it. I can see the pics just fine on my end using windows Internet explorer. 🙂

Kara
    August 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I have a chi straightener that I LOVE and is one of my bestest friends 🙂 I also have feathers in my hair that my friend/hair stylist did for me. I LOVE that you DIYed yours…and thanks for showing us how!

Gabriela - Living La Vida Normal
    August 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I barely flat iron my hair or blow dry it for that matter, mainly because I’m not very good at it. It’s hard to get my arms to contort in the ways necessary to get my hair to look right. I love the feather extension.

PS – I couldn’t see your pics in my Google Reader but was able to see them when I clicked over to your blog.

james @ a girl called james
    August 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm

i love it. i think i’m going to have to get an better flat iron. i got a cheap one that doesnt work. i’m never able to get my hair completely straight.

Tiffany
    August 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm

And I totally want that flat iron. Putting it on my wish list. your hair looks fab.

Amy
    August 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info on flat ironing. I need all the help I can get. I really stink at it, so your tips were helpful!
    LOVE the feather ext. too!
    You’re Beautiful Babe!

ilene
    August 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

i got the same straightner from them and it’s uh-mazing! you look beautiful, friend!

Shona
    August 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Wow! What a great gift to get! I have the same problem with straighterners – pulling my hair, making it look stiff and not smoothing the ends. I have tried so many! Your hair looks beautiful and I love the feather…..seems to fit your personality! 🙂

Linda O'Neil
    August 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm

love your honesty. inspiring. <3

Isabel Shaw
    August 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Love your hair!!! I wish I had the patience to straighten my hair the “right” way. After reading a couple of your hair posts, I am now considering getting extensions because I have such thin hair. How long do they usually last? Do you wash your hair every day or every other day? I may have to buy some of the powder as well. when I pull my hair back you can sometimes see my scalp :/

PS. I cant see the pictures anymore either when I get your blog post email. I can see them when I click on the post to get to your blog.

Sammie
    August 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm

You look beautiful! I have been going back and forth on feather extensions, one moment I really want them then the next I don’t. This has put me back in the really wanting them rink.

Lindsay
    August 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hmm I to have a JUNKY straight iron that rips out my hair every time… Maybe I need to invest in this one 🙂

Lindsay
    August 15, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Your hair is beautiful. I may just have to take your picture to my stylist and say, “I want hair like hers”. I don’t straighten my hair much anymore, those days are saved up for speical moments like holidays and date nights but I do have a blowdryer with a “straightener” on it. Its the con air Infiniti and I love that thing straightens it enough without the hassle of using a straightener.

Mrs V
    August 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm

First off I love the new blog <3

I saw a few others mentioned about not being able to see pics, I have this problem as well but not all the time..

Thank you thank you for posting about the hair powder! I didn't know this existed! I wish I had known before my wedding (I have a very thin spot and ppl always manage to get pics of it). Can you buy this in stores as well or just online cause I def need to try it! 🙂

Salena Lee
    August 16, 2011 at 12:53 am

You are so funny! I love this post. I too pull out my hunk of junk 6 yr old CHI flat iron that makes my hair look less than fabulous. lol. I need a new one, I will check this out. Thanks for sharing. =)

Becky H.
    August 16, 2011 at 1:28 am

The final look is awesome! Makes me wanna go do my hair, ASAP. =) I like the subtle feather thing… looks better when it’s not all out there…gives your hair a nice bit of pizazz without being too over-the-top.

Amanda @ little b
    August 16, 2011 at 2:01 am

Beautiful hair! Love the extensions too, thanks for sharing! I have had the same straightener since I was 12 (I’m 24 now) I think I’m scared of change because I can’t seem to buy a new one!

Kristal Jones
    August 16, 2011 at 3:07 am

Your hair looks so great! Healthy and happy. I can relate to busting out the old straightener day after day so I may just need to check this Hana you speak of. I have been curling my hair more because it make it fuller. For me, straightener = FLAT. I like volume so this causes a problem. Anyway I love your blog and your new found fabulous hair tool!

bzeedik
    August 16, 2011 at 3:41 am

You’re gorgeous Ash!
    I am soooo glad you got rid of a cracked flat iron! The thought of it is giving me the chills (in a bad way ;))
    xoxo

Helen
    August 16, 2011 at 4:09 am

LOVE your hair! I also love how open you are about the tric! I had it growing up, and had MAJOR bald spots all over. I’ve actually never talked to anyone else who had/has it! I honestly didn’t even know there was an official name for it, I just thought I pulled out my hair/eyebrows when I was stressed! Thanks for being so open about it, and it’s good to know I’m not the only one who struggled with it! Even though I don’t pull it out anymore, to this day I still twirl and play with my hair when I get stressed. I’m having my first baby next week (if she comes on time) and totally love this blog! Keep it up, I’m an avid follower!

Mindy Harris
    August 16, 2011 at 4:56 am

u r gorgeous!

Deidra Traylor
    August 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

Great post, Thank you so much for sharing. I can’t wait to try some of these styles out!

DJ
    August 16, 2011 at 9:01 am

I think you’re incredibly brave to be so open about your hair-pulling and the effect is has on your life. It shows a fearless lack of vanity which is rare, especially in the blogging world. Keep up the good work, I’m an avid reader! My hair has been beat down through years of bleach abuse. Without extensive conditioning and serum-applying, my hair looks like a big poofy ball of cotton candy, but you’ve prompted me to think my straighteners could be part of the problem – time to get some new straighteners, I think!!!

Stephanie @ 4eighteen
    August 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Very nice, I’m always looking for a good flat iron too but of course never actually buy one. I hate when my hair gets stuck in it!

On another note, my cousin was telling me that fishing stores have feathers, I think maybe for fly fishing? Anyway, they can be used just the same as the feathers being sold for hair. I haven’t tried to purchase myself but I was told that they are getting very expensive AND they are sold out for long periods of time because they are so popular. So if you ever decide to go feather happy, take a trip to your local fishing store.

Have a great day!

cheryl rodda
    August 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Love it! Just had one of those extensions put in my daughters hair yesterday…. she loves it… I think the girls got it a little far back… so I might take her back and get her another one…. not a bad thing for $6.00….

lila cassini
    August 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Ficou lindo! Bem discreto , mas sensual. lil

lila cassini
    August 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Ficou lindo! Bem discreto , mas sensual.

ana {bluebirdkisses}
    August 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Looks great! I love the feather extension idea. I must try it!! http://www.bluebirdkisses.com

Liz
    August 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm

LOVE the look of the new blog! Good work!

Lauren
    August 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm

WOAH you look like the olson triplet in one of those pictures

cammie
    August 17, 2011 at 3:33 am

You have beautiful hair, Thanks for posting about diy feather extension, I didn’t like the feathers at first but the more I’ve seen it the more I love it! I am so going to try this next week.

Kristen Duke Photography
    August 17, 2011 at 5:34 am

Wow, that was enlightening;)

Jamie
    August 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Love the feather extension! They are so fun I want to get some. You should wave your hair with your flat iron. I think it would look beautiful. I have a tutorial on how to do it.

Krystle
    August 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love that someone else has “hair adventures”! I find all your posts so encouraging ….keep it up!!!

MaryAsk
    August 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for the tips! I got easy clips extensions and I love how my hair looks! now i can try so different hairstyles. I straighten my hair with the Karmin G3 Salon Pro flat iron with tourmaline ceramic plates, are better for hair and avoid damages. It works very good because it heats up really quick and it only takes me a very short amount of time to get my hair completely straight. Plus I have no problems with frizz. I bought it at safrons. http://www.safrons.com/karmin-g3-salon-pro-professional-100-pure-tourmaline-ceramic-flat-iron.html

Hollie
    August 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for sharing this!! My daughters got feathers and one of theirs fell out the next day – ugh! So, I’m glad to know I can buy the products and just do it myself!! ♥

Kristin
    August 26, 2011 at 1:25 am

I love Joan Rivers Hair Powder! I go through bouts of alopecia where I have golf-ball sized bald spots and Joan’s Powder is a life saver. It’s a miracle worker! Anytime I see someone with thin hair, I want to tell them about it, but don’t want to offend.

Edwina
    July 27, 2013 at 1:24 am

It does appear, however, that hypnosis can help
    a person achieve his or her weight loss goals. Authorities inside the area will need to have
    an intensive understanding of laboratory and labeling techniques, infection security precautions, appropriate blood attract approaches to the elderly and for
    infants and even more. Many people don’t have the time to weight themselves every day, but checking the scale on a regular basis can definitely help when you’re working
    to lose weight and keep it off.

Brandi
    August 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Appreciation to my father who stated to me on the topic of this weblog, this weblog is actually
    amazing.

Mallory
    June 29, 2017 at 12:25 am

How do u keep extensions from feeling like straw and snarling?