Our kitchen has been transformed! And, I’m pretty excited about it! You can read about the beginning of our kitchen remodel adventure here (I will include link to previous post). When I learned about an opportunity to work with Sherwin-Williams to create a kitchen that reflected our personal style (just using paint and a few accessories), I knew I had to jump on it. I couldn’t be happier with the results! The room is now light and bright and happy. Here is a breakdown of the colors we selected and the paint we used: For all the colors, we selected Duration Home® (read the description and you’ll know why): With Duration Home Interior Acrylic Latex paint, you’ll enjoy superior durability and washability for your active home. It is ideal for high use areas like kitchens, hallways, and bathrooms. Preferred by parents with young children due to its durability and washability. Living Room Walls: Light French Gray, satin finish Kitchen Walls: Light French Gray, semi-gloss finish Kitchen Ceiling: Snowfall, semi-gloss finish Kitchen Cabinets: Multi-Purpose Zero VOC Latex Primer Kitchen Cabinets: Snowbound, semi-gloss finish We went with the semi-gloss finish in the kitchen to make it easier to wipe down the cabinets from inevitable food ickiness and kid fingerprints. Here are our results:
We purposely didn’t paint the ceiling the exact same color as the cabinets because we didn’t want them to blend together. But I also didn’t want a ceiling that stood out more than my cabinets–so we decided on Sherwin-Williams Snowfall, which is a very very very light shade of gray (making the ceiling ever-so-slightly different from the cabinets and walls).
This photo helps capture the contrast of the Snowbound white cabinets with the Light French Gray Walls. We used the Snowbound color on all the baseboards as well.
We also switched out our hardware with these brushed nickel pieces.
And then I added fun accessories to give the room a POP of color.
Now, a bit more detail about the project:
1. All the cabinet faces and hardware were removed. 2. Cabinets were sanded down. 3. Cabinets were painted with a coat of Sherwin-Williams Multi-Purpose Zero VOC Latex Primer. 4. Cabinets were painted with two coats of Sherwin-Williams Duration Home paint in Snowbound. 5. Once paint had dried, imperfections were sanded out and painted over. 6. Cabinets were re-installed and new hardware was applied.
Because we wanted a pristine, finished look with no brush strokes, a paint sprayer was used rather than a roller or brush. I believe, the key to this successful project was in the prep work. While the faces of our cabinets are wood, the insides (where our dishes live) are some form of manufactured wood. Repainting the manufactured wood would have been a disaster so we ended up leaving them as they were. This meant that every individual cupboard had to be taped off to protect the inside. A lot of extra work, but it made for a flawless finish. I was so pleased with how smooth the Sherwin-Williams paint went on. Not to mention it dried incredibly fast with little to no residual fumes, which allowed us to continue sleeping in our house during the project.
Because a paint sprayer was used, the entire kitchen was tarped off to prevent the spread of paint residue to other rooms.
We were repainting the adjoining room anyway, so it became the workplace for spraying all the cabinet doors.
This picture helps show the contrast of the Sherwin-Williams Light French Gray to the previous “warmer” color.
Overall, this was an amazing experience. I’m so pumped that I was able to create a completely new look and feel for my home just by painting it. It can feel overwhelming picking the “perfect” paint color for your home or furniture–but I can honestly tell you that using the Sherwin-Williams color selection tools (Chip It!™ and ColorSnap Studio™ for iPad) took the stress out of my decision and made it fun.
For a chance to win a $100 Sherwin-Williams gift card, share in the comments below what room you would like to makeover in your home?
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 5/20/2013-6/10/2013.
Be sure to visit the Sherwin-Williams brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ reviews and find more chances to win!
Latest posts by Ashley Stock (see all)
- Wellness Kitchen: BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe - October 13, 2015
- Master Bedroom Decor Inspiration - October 6, 2015
- Classic, Comfortable, Everyday Denim (and a giveaway) - October 1, 2015