Yep, Ben and I jumped on the bandwagon of this whole “raw food”, juicing, smoothie craze that’s going on. And you know what, it’s been the most amazing bandwagon to be on. It’s been three weeks since we started drinking two of these green drinks a day. I’m anemic and Ben has psoriasis. So between my exhaustion and his dry skin, we have been looking for some form of “natural” relief.
We’ve tried vitamins and prescriptions without noticeable results. And after only 4 weeks of Green Drinks, Ben and I can feel a huge difference. We both feel a spike in our morning energy levels, our “bathroom” sessions have become regular and consistent (sorry if TMI), and Ben’s psoriasis has already started to subside–no joke!
In addition, Ben and I have started to include more protein and raw fruits and vegetables into our diet (a diet that has previously been jam packed with processed sugars and resturaunt food). But here’s the thing. Neither of us is in a place right now to change everything overnight. We still eat carbs–we just don’t binge. We still enjoy desserts and cookies. And I still haven’t kicked my diet soda habit (shame on me).
BUT…adding so many nutrients into our diet through these smoothies has lessened my cravings big time. The goal is to ween myself off the diet soda completely in 6 more weeks. I’m just not in a “cold-turkey” phase of life right now, so I’m making the little changes now that will lead to the BIG lifestyle changes in the near future.
Our first “health” goal was to gain more energy and feel less bloated.
Goal achieved–thanks to these green drinks.
For us, this has been the perfect kick start we needed to get our healthy lifestyle back on track.
- 1.5 cups spinach
- 1.5 cups kale
- ½ a zucchini
- ⅓ cucumber
- ½ bunch parsley
- 4-8 mint leaves (to taste)
- 8-12 grapes
- 2 carrots (or 8 baby carrots)
- 1 lemon (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 orange (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 pear (cored, leave peel)
- Additional Suggestions: pomegranate seeds, blueberries, apples, lime, kiwi, etc.
- Combine all ingredients in your blender (I use a Vitamix Creation II).
- If using a Vitamix, set to Variable and gradually increase the speed until you reach 10. Blend until liquid.
- Turn off blender, then add 1 cup of ice. Blend ice until completely smooth. This will not make the drink slushy, but will help to chill it before drinking (which makes it taste much yummier).
- Pour over ice and enjoy!
I do my best to use only organic ingredients in these drinks.
I add the mint because I love the fresh flavor it adds. The pear, grapes and orange help sweeten it up a bit.
This photo shows the water level. Note that the ingredients are still above the water line. Start with less water because you can always add more.
I like to add a cup of ice and blend until all ice chunks are gone–this helps to chill the drink before I pour it on ice.
The first three days of Green Drinking it, I had an upset stomach–clearly my body wasn’t used to the nutrient overload. But after those initial three days I adjusted and now I can’t go a day without one. Also, we have tried a bunch of different cups and these Bubba thermoses are the BEST! They keep the drink super cold, the ice doesn’t melt and there is no condensation. Plus they come with a travel lid and rubber straw making it easy to take them on the go. I send Ben to work with one every morning–it’s the least I can do since I’m not a “lunch-making” kind of wife.
I try to have a pitcher filled in the fridge at all times. That way if I am having a huge craving for something salty and sugary and chocolatey, I have this drink on hand to help subside my craving (it works about half the time).
I would LOVE to hear what you put in your Green Drink–we need some new variations over here.
Next up with my Vitamix: baby food making, appetizers, soups and desserts–wahoo!
*I was given the Vitamix Creation II to review. As always, all opinions are my own and I am completely head over heels in love with my Vitamix.
Latest posts by Ashley Stock (see all)
- Easy Beef and Vegetable Rainy Day Soup Recipe - February 3, 2016
- Current Favorite Books and a Barn Owl Primitives Giveaway - January 13, 2016
- First Look at Spring 2016 Collection and Your Questions Answered Honestly. - January 12, 2016