I come from a popcorn and caramel apple loving family–especially in the Fall. So it only seemed natural that I should find a way to combine the two into one delicious treat. I began experimenting with a simple caramel recipe that hardens into a toffee consistency once poured over the popcorn and apples. The sweet, salty and crisp combination is absolutely divine! It is seriously the most incredible combination of flavors. It was a hit with the kids and my husband’s co-workers and I’m thinking it will make the perfect snack for my family and friends this fall season.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup Crunchies apples
- 1 cup pecans
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lay parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out popped popcorn evenly on top.
- Sprinkle whole pecans evenly over the top of the popcorn.
- Sprinkle Crunchies apples evenly over the popcorn.
- Make cinnamon sugar by combining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar evenly over the popcorn.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the brown sugar, butter, salt and light corn syrup. Microwave for approximately 45 seconds, or just until butter is melted. Stir until combined. Microwave again for two minutes and then stir. Microwave one last time for 90 seconds and stir. Be careful, because the caramel mixture will be extremely hot.
- Add in the vanilla and baking soda and quickly combine. Pour evenly over the popcorn mixture and toss with spoons until ingredients are coated with the caramel.
- Allow mixture to cool before sprinkling on the chocolate chips (otherwise they melt and get messy).
Lay parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread out popped popcorn evenly on top.
Sprinkle the whole pecans evenly.
Spread the Crunchies apples evenly.
Make you cinnamon sugar using 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the popcorn.
Get started on the caramel mixture my combining the brown sugar, butter, salt and light corn syrup.
Microwave for approximately 45 seconds, until the butter is melted. And then stir to combine.
Microwave for an additional 2 minutes. Be careful, the bowl will be super hot.
Stir to combine and then microwave one more time for 90 seconds and stir again.
Combine the baking soda and vanilla. Here is the tricky part. The caramel begins to harden super fast. You will need to quickly pour the caramel evenly over the popcorn mixture and toss with spoons until ingredients are coated. Allow the popcorn to cool before adding the chocolate chips (or else they will melt and be messy). You can sprinkle with additional sea salt to taste. Be sure to store in a air tight container or ziplock bag.
This post sponsored by Crunchies food. I had a blast using their delicious freeze dried fruits to create so many fun recipes. Thank you for supporting the brands that help support our family.
You can follow Crunchies over on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for more delicious recipes, snack ideas and nutrition tips.