grow

Yep, I Saved the Goober Thingy

Sawyers icky belly button thingy fell off.
And I promptly sealed it up in a ziplock bag.

Yep, I’m the Momma who saves that kinda stuff.

I recall being about 10 years old and stumbling upon a plastic bag that contained my own shriveled up belly button thing,
and I remember being strangely excited at my discovery.
It was like I had found this tangible token of my birth day, my beginning.
So I figure, if my kiddos turn out even half as weird as me, then they too will appreciate a bag with a shriveled raison looking belly goober to represent the day they entered this world.
Right?

***

The other exciting thing about losing a belly goober,
is that it then becomes okay for you to give baby their first bath–which is how we spent our Sunday afternoon.
With Wesley, this milestone made Ben and I anxiety ridden.
We debated about the temperature of the water, the angle to place him in the tub, whether we should put water over his head or not, how to finagle his slippery body…
All the while, Lil W was screaming bloody murder and our hearts were racing a million miles an hour.
I’m not sure who was most relieved when that bath was over.

But there is something strangely calming about walking a path you have already been down before.
Something that tells you, it can only be easier the second time around.
And because Ben and I were so much calmer this go around,
I’m sure our disposition set the tone for Baby Sawyer.
Either that, or he is just a water baby.
The kind who will be a self taught swimmer at 6 months,
and a Michael Phelps contender in the future Olympics.
Because he loved his bath.
Stretched out his arms, relaxed, flashed us a dimple every now and then, and didn’t shed a single tear.
We’re proud of our lil guy, and we’ve even added a new patch to our little brown parenting vests.

Alicia
    July 23, 2012 at 5:41 am

Super cute pictures 🙂

What kind of baby tub is that!?! Where might I find one?

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma
      July 23, 2012 at 5:47 am

It’s a PUJ tub and it is soooo amazing! I love it! I got mine from Target online. But i bet you can find it at babies r us or amazon as well.

Melanie
        July 31, 2012 at 3:14 am

PUG tub is the best tub EVER!!!

Alissa Circle
    July 23, 2012 at 5:55 am

Such a precious moment for you and Ben. I kept our squishy things too. I hope you are having a wonderful time having Sawyer home. How does Lil W love his baby brother?

MJ @allthingsmumsnbubs
    July 23, 2012 at 5:56 am

Wow, Sawyer is a gorgeous baby!
    I LOVE the bathtub!!! I love that you don’t have to fill it with water. Looks very practical.
    I’ve been using a Flexibath (Danish design). It’s really cool, you can fold i away and store it when not in use, and then later use it for other purposes.

Cathy Kelemen
    July 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

You certainly have yourself another cute little man! So precious! Thanks for sharing!

Mandy
    July 23, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Sawyer is precious! Love that tub! Beautiful pics, too!!!

Lindsay
    July 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Sweet pictures. Landon was so calm in the bath also. Could of been because we were relaxed or he just liked it, either way bathing the 2nd kid was much easier than the first. Sawyer is so handsome, Hope life with two is going well.
    xo

mandy @ this girl's life
    July 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

He is precious and it looks like he really loved that bath. 🙂 I still clearly remember the first time we gave our boys a bath…they screamed their heads off but it was still fun. 🙂

Brittany Davis
    July 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm

he is precious….he has a lot of wes in him but is still his own look at the same time! Can’t wait to hold that little body in my arms! one more month! xoxo

Ashley
    July 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sawyer is the cutest baby ever!!

Brittney
    July 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

He is soooo cute!

Ann
    July 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Not sure I’ve ever posted a comment here — but wanted to say I’m always struck at just how stunning you’re little ones are. Every time I see Wes, I can’t believe how handsome he is! And now Sawyer…just so cute and perfect.

And p.s. – I love the honesty of your blog; you are courageous and a very special human being.

Liz @ Blue Eyed Owl
    July 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

He is perfect 🙂

I saved my daughter’s too…and then my dog ate it. Protect that thing!

allison
    July 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

oh my gosh where did you get that bathtub! i have been looking for something like that!

Emily
    July 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Aww, he’s precious!

Jennifer
    July 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

What a cute post and what a PRECIOUS baby! He is adorable.

Stephanie Holden
    July 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

That’s hilarious! I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. I still have the straw that I nervously chewed on while on my very first date with my husband….26 years ago! And btw….Sawyer is a cutie pie just the rest of his family. 🙂

tiffany
    July 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm

My mom saved that stuff and I made fun of her…LOL. I really like that little tub! Where did you get that? How big can your baby and it still hold him? And he can look at himself in the mirror…how fun! Having your baby like the bath makes things so much easier, Em cried a lot when she was born but she ALWAYS loved the bath…phew 🙂

Tara
    July 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

So precious. At first all I saw in Sawyer was Wesley. But now, he’s just completely YOU Ash! It’s incredible. I totally see your eyes in his face and it’s so cool!
    Enjoy everything about him and thank you for sharing your awesomeness. 😉

Social
    July 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

He is absolutely adorable!! Just beautiful! Congratulations!!!

Misty
    July 23, 2012 at 11:31 pm

He is such a doll! He looks so cozy and at peace in his lil bath. My LO first bath was much like Lil W first bath. LOL!!

Shirley
    July 24, 2012 at 2:06 am

He is a cutie pie. If I ever wanted a baby, You and Ben would be the ones I would like to make me a baby. (Ha Ha) The two of you make beautiful children. Don’t worry I will not ask you to do the baby thing since I am almost 70. But all and all I just wanted to let you know I am so happy for you.

Liz
    July 24, 2012 at 3:12 am

Welcome to #2 – you’d love my First vs Second post. No less love, just less anxiety and panic if you’re doing OK. http://www.accordingtol.com/2012/07/first-vs-second.html

LB

Michelle {the Momma Bird}
    July 24, 2012 at 7:01 am

oh my goodness – so sweet. that picture of you looking down at him after his bath – MELT MY HEART!!! he looks so much like his big brother too! That’s so funny you kept the cord – if I ever kept them I think my husband would puke all over the place. lol.

Jess @ The Colorful Ones
    July 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh my goodness he is absolutely PRECIOUS!!! What great memories you are already making!!! Oh, and for the record, I saved the goober thing from our little one as well! 🙂

[email protected]
    July 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Congrats Stock family; baby Sawyer is adorable! I would save the goober thingy too, for sure. 😉

Gillian
    July 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

1- he’s to die for.
    2- i’m a little scared about the belly button thingie- I must confess. 😉 I think you’re keeping it to clone him quite frankly!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely
    July 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh my goodness!!! What a little cutie pie!!! This is just feeding my baby fever thank you very much! And I had no idea about waiting for the first bath!! Thanks for that little token of parenting wisdom!

Audrey Crisp
    July 25, 2012 at 9:02 pm

He’s so cute!

Lisa
    July 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Would you look at that little face! Gorgeous! Pure perfection! Congratulations!

Brittani
    July 26, 2012 at 5:21 am

I love that you have a PUJ tub! I got one when I was pregnant with my little boy and we loved it! All my friends thought I was silly but I think it’s the best baby invention ever!

Congrats on your little man, he is a cutie pie!

Becky
    August 3, 2012 at 5:55 pm

What. A. Cutie!!!!

Haleigh Barrett
    August 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm

these are the absolutely sweetest photos ever. he is SO adorable! I’m glad the bath went well. good luck! 🙂

Angela
    September 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I am so happy to hear that other people save the belly buttons too! My daughter is almost 5 and I still have hers in a ziplock bag in her memory box! I plan to do the same when our newest addition arrives! I just found your blog and I’m loving it. I can relate to so many of your posts! I would love for you to stop by my blog and tell me what you think!