grow

The Truck Phase

By our house there’s a park–a rather cool park.
And by this rather cool park is a fire station.
And for months, Lil W and I would walk right past that fire station for an afternoon of fun at the “cool” park.
No issues. No drama. Just a Mom and her boy, at the park.
Did I mention this park has shade?

But then, one day, something happened.
Something that I had heard about, but didn’t really believe until I saw it for myself..

The “truck” phase.
The phase of a boy toddlers years where any and every moment of life revolves around seeing, hearing and touching as many trucks as humanly possible. Β Yes, even if that means walking half way across the grocery store parking lot to get a good feel on the UPS delivery truck. Β And yes, especially if that means forgoing our daily park routine in favor of a visit to the fire station.

I’m certain the firemen think I’m “that lady”.
You know the one.
The lady who shamelessly uses her small child as an excuse to visit the station more often than any civilian should be allowed.

We walk past the station, on our way to the park, and I am literally wrestling with Lil W.
Using every ounce of persuasion possible to convince him to bypass the station for just one day.
Me: If we go straight to the park I’ll give you a lollipop! A new toy? A puppy?
W: Fire truck. Fire truck. FIRE TRUCK!!!!

Over and over and over, until I submit to his demands.
And so, I sheepishly walk into their garage with my overzealous toddler…
Me: Hi there, its us again. Β I couldn’t help but notice that your garage door was open about 2 feet, so we slid under to pay you a visit. We’re just here to touch the trucks. Hope you don’t mind…again.

Yeah, not creepy or pathetic at all.

I can picture them staring at me through the window inside.
“Oh, here she comes again. She just can’t get enough.”

Little do they know, I have had enough.
And this daily ritual is literally mortifying for me.
So much so, that I have opted for the park over a mile from our home.
The park without shade, mind you.
But also, the park without a fire station.

So while this new park may mean a bit more sweat,
it also means I get to keep my dignity,
and Lil W still gets to run off his energy.

Ohhh, but look at this face.

[email protected] by munchies mama
    June 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

Yeah right, you know they are all like….that hot mom is back again and then down they slide down the pole…shirtless if course

Danielle D.
    June 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

Bring them brownies, they wont mind you stopping by then.

Dani
    June 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Oh yes I remember the truck phase. Our Dad works at a Caterpillar dealer so we also went through the machinery phase , when we would ask our Jedi what sound a cat makes he would rumble his little lips together to make machine sounds.
    Mortifying yes but when he is married and you sit around the dinner table to reminisce this will be one of the highlights I am sure, because I know ours will be.

P.S. LOVE the Fireman Boots πŸ™‚

Kate
    June 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

His little face his too cute!! LOVE THE SMILE!

Lisa A.
    June 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

All I can say is BOYS! Lol. I’m not sure it’s a phase though. E loves anything that has wheels and moves and everywhere we go he points them out. It’s the most exciting part of his day haha. Those photos of lil W are so cute! Love his little rain boots lol. I’m sure the firemen don’t mind at all!

Krista Bolton
    June 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I agree with Danielle-take the firemen treats! I’m sure that they are totally entertained by your adorable little boy and you make their day by stopping in. My 2 year old son is in that stage now as well-I laughed when you said that you had to go halfway across the parking lot to touch a UPS truck-we’ve had to do the same with a semi-truck… πŸ™‚

Carolyn
    June 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Cute. I love the phases they go through and they pass all too fast. My daughter wore a Sleeping Beauty dress EVERY WHERE for a few months. Now it has stopped and I miss it.

Lindsay
    June 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm

awwww, and his boots! my son is in the exact same phase – i have to go the long way most days to work just so we can drive by the trash truck, sigh…

Brittany Davis
    June 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh how I miss that little face that is no longer little πŸ™ he is getting so big! I miss you guys! hope to see you soon…I am planning a trip in September! xoxo

[email protected]
    June 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Haha! We have been in the truck phase for a long time! I’m afraid it might never go away. (and you know those fireman are more than happy when you shimmy under their garage door with your royal cuteness. <3

Wendy Orme
    June 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

The boots are an adorable touch! You’ll miss this phase once it passes, I’m sure.

Aunt Debbie
    June 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm

AND THOSE SO CUTE FIREMAN BOOTS!!! I would take him there everyday too. Look at that ear to ear
    grin. So cute, cute, cute. Can’t wait to see him soon, fireman boots and all. Love you lots!!!

Lindsay Lee
    June 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oh ash I am laughing at this because I can hear you telling me this story. I miss you! Really! I need to see that belly and hug Wes. Date this week? xo

Liz
    June 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

You’re not the only “mom” like that. http://www.accordingtol.com/2012/05/we-have-great-fortune-that-both-of-my.html

Amber
    June 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Aw, he looks so excited. Too cute!

Anna @ IHOD
    June 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm

My son is still in the train phase. Its borderline obssessive but impossible to resist his pleas to see, watch, and hear them. I know I will miss them someday.
    Your little guy is such a cutie!

Trisha @ 3 Four and Under
    June 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm

You should totally take him to Touch a truck here in Thousand oaks this saturday. We have been before and the boys love it. There are different trucks for them to get on and touch! It’s from 10am-2pm at the Thousand Oaks Community center. It’s free admission. It’s usually really busy, so we try to get there right at 10 or a little early. It’s a great Father’s Day weekend event!

Becca {While You Were Napping}
    June 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Friday is trash collection day in our neighborhood and we followed our poor garbage collector all around because Cruz kept hearing the truck and ran down the street to find it. Poor man had to wave to us no less than six times as we stood around watching him work. I’m sure there’s nothing like working in front of an (absolutely adoring) audience.

Karin - The F Girl
    June 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Haha, yep, I know this phase. I am on the other side of the world, but the boys are just the same here. And I agree with everyone else: Those fireman probably love watching you crawl inside from under that door. Haha!

Maria
    June 11, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I have a son who was the EXACT same way at that age. I feel you πŸ™‚
    LilMissQueenie.blogspot.com

Lindsey
    June 11, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Bwahahahahahahahaha! I’m laughing because I feel your pain. We’re in the truck phase too. It sucks. It’s so awkward. And my little one thinks buses count as trucks too so he’s constantly trying to bolt into the street to touch a city bus. Fun times πŸ™‚

Renee
    June 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm

So cute. I love his little fireman boots.

Sera
    June 13, 2012 at 2:04 am

My hubby is a firefighter and trust me they love it when little kids stop by! I’m sure they don’t mind a bit, its probably the highlight of their day to see Lil W’s excitement. And yes, they do like receiving food πŸ™‚

Joni Ennis
    June 13, 2012 at 2:56 am

My nephew was just like that at his age. We called him Fireman Fred. Well, he grew up and is now a Firefighter for the Visalia Fire Department. He’s a great guy, just saying:)

Jennifer
    June 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

My little boy is almost 2 two years old and has been obsessed with trucks from birth it seems like. I guess it is a boy thing. What is it with the tires? My little man LOVES to touch the tires on ANY truck. So glad to know we aren’t the only ones. πŸ™‚

Rachael
    June 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

My hubby is a firefighter. They LOVE to get visitors! It makes their day, when little ones come to visit. And I’ve NEVER seen them happier, than when someone brings them food.

I have 2 little boys, and I can totally relate! When my hubby is working, they beg me to take them to visit. Even with daddy being a fireman, they still adore going to see the trucks. And the dog! We’ve also been known, to walk across parking lots to see more trucks. πŸ™‚

Cait
    June 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m married to a fireman…and I know they love nothing more than for children (especially those little boys) to come and be in awe of their trucks, their gear, their boots and helmets. πŸ™‚ The guys at our station LOVE children so hopefully yours has that same tone. And there is nothing quite like seeing a man (especially a fireman!) melt over your own child. I love it and I’m lucky to be married to that type of man.

I’m sure they don’t mind the momma that is coming along with Lil W too! ; )

flinria
    April 8, 2019 at 10:59 pm

What about getting useful info about using essay rhetorical devices? On https://order-essay-online.net/blog/essay-rhetorical-devices you can find more info about it…

HERVE LEGER
    March 23, 2020 at 1:50 pm

As a signature French fashion brand, Black Bandage Dress has proven its worth in the fashion industry for catering nothing but high quality line of bandage dress.