craft

Circus Tent Tutorial

I’m lucky enough to have a super talented, hilarious, beautiful and generous real life friend who just started an incredibly exciting blog.  Her blog is all about crafting through the seasons–through all of the years fun celebrations. And today she is here to share a tutorial that nearly knocked my socks off.  Meet Gillian Greding (pronounced Jillian Greeting).  She’s just about the craftiest person I know…so get ready for her blog–Seasons Gredings!

Say hello to Gillian’s
Circus Tent Tutorial

And take a moment to soak in how adorable her baby Wednesday Jones is. Those boots, that romper, those eyes–I can hardly take it!

So if you’ve been following my blog lately, you’ll know I’ve been seriously crushing on county fairs. I’ve been making county fair picnic blankets, cooking county fair food and now I’ve decided to top it off with a circus tent canopy or playhouse for Wednesday Jones (our youngest) and the one most likely to run off someday and join a circus.

The beauty of this circus tent is that there is NO SEWING involved

and

it took me 43 MINUTES, start to finish, to make it!!!

C’mon! That is sooooooooo do-able!

This is what you’re going to need to make it:

Cut six 66 inch lengths of ribbon

Fold each length of ribbon in half, wrap the central fold around the hoola hoop and loop the ribbon’s ends through it

Arrange the ribbons so that they are evenly spread around the hoop

Gather the ends in the middle of the hoop, fold them over, then knot them, leaving a loop for hanging the canopy

Lay the tulle over the hoola hoop with the hoop in the center

Cut a hole in the center of the tulle and pull the ribbons through

Repeat with another length of the same colored tulle

Cut a slit in the tulle and pull the ribbon through

Repeat process with the next two lengths of tulle

Trim the uneven bottom of the canopy with scissors

Mine isn’t trimmed perfectly, as you can see. Don’t fret over this!

Unfold the felt piece and cut the biggest circle you can out of it. I used a piece of ribbon and a Sharpie as a compass like device. Again, you could easily get caught up in making this perfect, but DON’T! You will never notice.

Now place the circle of felt on top of the other piece of felt and cut out another circle

Okay, so this next part is the most “tricky” part of the whole project and I use the word “tricky” loosely.

Cut 4 triangles (trapezoids, actually) out of the top felt.

BE SURE TO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY TO THE MIDDLE!!!

Cut out the first triangle and then use that triangle as your guide for the other 3 cuts.

It will not look great at this point. In fact, I thought I’d blown the whole project because my cuts were so uneven looking. Hang in there!

After it’s cut, cut a hole in the center, through both layers of felt.

Now throw the felt over the hula hoop.

DO NOT SEPERATE THE FELT LAYERS!!! KEEP THEM TOGETHER WHILE PUTTING THEM ON THE HOOP.

Okay, look how uneven and lame it looks.

I think I possibly threw myself to the ground and cried at this point.

Now take the scissors and trim the edge of the felt to the length you want it.

See… see! So much better!

This is the point I possibly threw myself to the ground and cried with joy.

After trimming you can leave it or add some spots of glue to it to hold the layers together and in place.

I left it.

I’m lazy like that.

I’m sure I’ll regret it.

I then took some ribbon and tied open two sides to make a tent opening.

Now go and hang your circus tent canopy from a shady tree and pop up some popcorn and lay down for a spell with your little one and imagine you’re at your very own circus– for two.

Check out this other amazing and simple tutorial from Seasons Gredings:
Penant Banner Picnic Blanket Tutorial

Follow Seasons Gredings on:
Facebook  /  Twitter  /  Pinterest

Whitney Abuzeid
    July 30, 2012 at 2:53 am

Wow! So adorable! and SO simple! I’m having a “party in the park” for my son’s first birthday in a few weeks and these will DEFINITELY be making an appearance! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

July 30, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Hi Whitney! Your party in the park sounds completely adorable. You HAVE to do this, for sure!!! Thanks for the kind words! -gillian

Social
    July 30, 2012 at 2:55 am

Cutest thing ever! I have to pin it!!!

July 30, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hi Social! Thanks so much for pinning my tent! So sweet of you!

My Circus Tent Canopy is Featured on LITTLE MISS MOMMA!!! - SeasonsGredings
    July 30, 2012 at 4:20 am

[…] on over to Ashley’s site to see how to make this fun circus tent canopy! Filed Under: Sewing- Summer, […]

Julia
    July 30, 2012 at 4:21 am

Amazing! And I love no sewing!! And I never think to put those fun colors together. But they always look so good when I see them. Excellent idea. And excellent blog!!

July 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Hi Julia! Thanks for the super nice comment! You’re awesome. Yes, those colors are really fantastic.

Meg
    July 30, 2012 at 5:09 am

Wow! So adorable! What an amazing tutorial. The photography is stunning too! I can’t wait to check out her other ideas. This chick is talented!

July 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hi Meg! You are soooooo nice. Seriously, thank you for commenting. It means a lot to me! hugs

Michelle {the Momma Bird}
    July 30, 2012 at 6:51 am

Oh my goodness!!! That is ADORABLE!!! How cute would that be in a little girl’s room for a play area?! Or even a toy room. oh the ideas – thanks so much for sharing!!
    xoxo

July 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hi Michelle! Your ideas are so awesome! SO fun for a little reading nook! Thanks for commenting!!!

Jess @ The Colorful Ones
    July 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

What fun!!! This would make a great photo prop, or just a fun play spot for any little kiddo! 🙂 Thanks for sharing; I think we might try one in pinks and purples to make it more of a princess tent… hmm… you’ve got the hamsters in my head running on their little wheel! 🙂

July 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hi Jess! I’m SO excited to know I’ve got your hamsters roaring! 😉 The possibilities really are endless. Thank you so much for commenting. So sweet of you!

Jen Currier
    July 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Okay. The ONLY kind of crafting I ever do is the no-sew kind. (It’s pretty funny that I don’t consider myself a “crafter” even though I own and run an event design business!! But it’s true. Not a lot of love for crafts coming from me.) However, this is one of the most adorable things I have seen and I love how clear and easy your pictures and directions were!! Love it!!!

July 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hi Jen! Thanks so much for stopping by! So glad you like the little tent. I hope to see it appear at a party or two in your future! 😉 hugs

Monsterscircus
    July 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Wow that ame and cute, and what a circus princess! Pretty cool DIY!!!

July 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much, Monsters Circus! Great name, btw!

amy johnston
    July 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I love me some Gillian!!!! She just gets better & better.

Dan Greding
    July 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Ashley, thanks for featuring on your amazing site! We are so excited.

Bzeedik
    July 30, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love this and her!

July 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Brit! Thank you for stopping by and commenting. You are honestly so thoughtful. much love

TonyaB71
    July 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

This is such a great post!!! I can’t believe how easy this looks because the finished product is so magical!!! Love the photos and ecspecially your sweet lil gal. Both my girls gasped when they saw this on my computer screen. Nice job Gillian! 🙂
    PS – Loving your blog soooo much!!!!

July 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Oh my gosh, Tonya… you are seriously the best. Thank you so much for all your support with my blog. You and “the girls” have been amazing. love you!

July 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Ashley!- How can I even begin to thank you???? You have been extraordinary to me through all of this. From all the hours, to all the advice, to all the laughter– you and Ben have just been amazing. Love you guys so much!!!

PS– you kinda have A LOT of followers. Were you aware? lol My blog thanks you!!! 😉

Julie C
    July 31, 2012 at 1:19 am

Who knew hula hoops and fabric could be transformed into a whimsical play space? I adore this project!!! Gillian you have an abundance of creativity and I’m so excited that you will be sharing your ideas with us on your new blog. I love checking it everyday to see what you have posted:) Thank you for keeping us non-sewing girls in mind!

August 1, 2012 at 4:54 am

Hi Julie! Wow!!! What nice things you had to say. SOOOOOOO nice of you! And yes- I will keep you non-sewing girls in mind a lot. hugs
      -gillian

Jennifer Dawn
    July 31, 2012 at 11:03 am

This turned out so cute! I will have to pin this.

August 1, 2012 at 4:56 am

Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for the pin! I totally appreciate it. 🙂

Carla
    August 4, 2012 at 5:04 am

Felicitaciones!! Espectacular!
    Gracias!!

August 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

WOW! That the most awesome sounding comment EVER!!!! I’m sure it means fantastic things. 😉

-gillian

Jessica
    August 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This is amazing! I love it!

Circus Tent: Homemade Christmas Gifts
    October 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

[…] Kids love playing in tents.  This circus tent would make a great gift.  You can find instructions at Little Miss Momma. […]

Patty
    December 7, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hii! Absolutely love this canopy tent! Great tutorial and easy to follow instructions and pics! It was funny too 🙂 Love the blanket too! How big is the blanket? I want to try making it as a tablecloth. Any suggestions/comments that might help making it as a tablecloth to fit a 6ft rectangular table would be great! Thanks!

Colleen
    February 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! I have been searching for an easy but amazing DIY for a princess inspired canopy. This circus tent is the BEST design! I can’t wait to make this in hot pink for my daughter! Thanks so much!

20 DIY Carnival Theme Wedding Ideas | Confetti Daydreams
    April 9, 2013 at 2:52 pm

[…] 8. (Above Left) DIY Carnival Refrigerator Box Ticket Booth – From Buckets of Grace, learn how to create your vey own ticket booth! {DIY Tip} If you don’t have a large enough box lying around, contact your local appliance stores and ask for an empty refrigerator box that can once wrapped or painted in red and white stripes, can be decorated with little flags, bunting or even multicolored colored lights. Get the DIY here. 9. (Above) DIY Circus Tent – From Little Miss Momma, create this no-sew circus tent canopy that can be hung from a lovely shady tree. Provide your guests with some treats to enjoy while they take refuge inside! Get the DIY here. […]

Kara
    April 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

May we share this photo of the circus tent in our magazine with Little Miss Momma link to the tutorial?
    Thanks so much, please contact me at [email protected]
    My Carolina Town magazine.

thank you!

Sondrea
    August 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I have been totally stressing about how to make a princess tent for my little friend’s birthday party tomorrow (she’s turning 3!). I bought tulle and a hula hoop and have been trying to figure out how to attach the tulle without it bunching up, falling off, etc. Using ribbon as a skeleton and as a hanger never occurred to me. You have just saved my life, sanity, and the birthday party (in reverse order of importance)!! Thank you so, SO much!!! 🙂

Dawn
    October 17, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love this little carnival tent. My children both have November birthdays. So while they are young I still do parties together. This is perfect for the their party. My sister and I will be putting this together in the next week or two. So excited!! I think we will throw in the ticket booth as well.

Cheri
    February 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Really awesome job. My crafty lifestyle has recently started so I’m sorry if this is a silly question. Regarding the tulle, how wide is it? 4 1/2 feet long and how wide? Thanks.

Nia
    May 16, 2014 at 7:51 pm

This is just what I was looking for! I’m having a carnival themed party for my soon to be 5 year old daughter. I’m going to use this to cover the food!! Thank you!!!

OLIVIA’S VINTAGE CIRCUS BIRTHDAY PARTY | this little company
    July 1, 2014 at 4:03 pm

[…] circus tent/photo booth. It was super easy to make. I found the instructions at littlemissmomma.com. I got a vintage suitcase and filled it with clown accessories. The kids loved […]

Esperanza
    October 9, 2014 at 1:09 am

How much did it cost to make this

custom tarpaulins manufacturer
    October 21, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Oh!Mountain.com

Oh!Mountain custom manufacturer leader.
    Customized all kinds of tents,awnings,shelters,canopies,
    tarpaulins,sun shade,gazebo,bags & packs other sewing
    products for global customers.

custom tents manufacturer,custom awnings manufacturer,
    custom shelters manufacturer,custom canopies manufacturer,
    custom tarpaulins manufacturer,custom sun shade manufacturer,
    custom gazebo manufacturer,custom bags & packs manufacturer,
    custom canvas tents manufacturer,custom military tents
    manufacturer,
    custom tents manufacturer,custom tents manufacturer,

Representatives of product Line:

1,Awnings:

Custom Retractable Patio Awnings,
    Custom Patio Sun Shade,
    Custom Patio canvas awnings,

2,Canopies:

Custom pop up canopies,Custom canopies,
    Custom screen house,Custom gazebo,

3,Shelter:

Custom shelters,Custom Outdoor Shelter,
    Custom Ultralight Backpacking Tarp,Custom
    sil shelters,

4,Tents:

Custom tents,Custom camping tents,
    Custom family tents,Custom backpacking tents,
    Custom trekking tents,Custom Mountaineering tent,
    Custom hunter tents,Custom fishing tents,
    Custom beach tents,Custom outdoor tents,
    Custom trailer tents,Custom auto tents,
    Custom automatic tents,Custom instant tents,
    Custom relief tents,Custom canvas tents manufacturer,
    Custom military tents,Custom Marine tents,
    Custom Combat Tent,Custom soilder tents,

5,Tarpaulins;

Custom Tarpaulins,Custom Tarp,
    Custom canvas tarpaulins,Custom camping,
    Custom outdoor tarpaulin,Custom boat tarpaulin,

Horizontal Blog
    June 22, 2016 at 10:21 am

Graduation Stripes Photo Banner 36 X104 Outdoor Slit

[…] ld personally use and think are a good fit for my readers. Thank you for support […]

Photo Blog
    October 23, 2016 at 6:36 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 18 X54 Outdoor Slit

[…] oo – I often mention it here. I am also a member of affiliate programs. This mea […]

Attach Blog
    November 8, 2016 at 6:28 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 24 X72 Attach

[…] rograms. This means if you purchase an item from a link I provide to those shops […]

Cejed Blog
    December 17, 2016 at 8:32 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 72 X202 Horizontal Vinyl Banner

[…] various companies. I never commit to sharing a positive review, but if I like th […]

Vinyl Blog
    December 30, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Hole In One Personalized Banner 72×202 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] ion. I only share products and services that I would personally use and think ar […]

Photo Blog
    January 24, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 24 X72

Vertical Blog
    January 31, 2017 at 10:18 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 72 X202 Horizontal Vinyl Banner

[…] and think are a good fit for my readers. Thank you for supporting the sponsors […]

Football Blog
    February 4, 2017 at 10:38 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 24 X72 Horizontal Vinyl

[…] a member of affiliate programs. This means if you purchase an item from a link […]

Homecoming Blog
    February 5, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 72×202

[…] receive products/services compliments of various companies. I never commit to sh […]

bite spit
    February 16, 2017 at 5:40 am

Our group of professionals hire years of experience to bring clients one of the most
    ideal goods in transit insurance.

aide musician
    February 16, 2017 at 12:57 pm

As pointed out above, all plans and costs are different by insurance provider and also could not offer cover that you might presume they will.

Homecoming Blog
    February 18, 2017 at 10:06 am

Personalized Football Vertical Banner 82×30 Vertical Outdoor

[…] and think my readers will too – I often mention it here. I am also a member of a […]

Football Blog
    February 25, 2017 at 8:04 am

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 24 X72 Horizontal Vinyl Banner

[…] ften mention it here. I am also a member of affiliate programs. This means if yo […]

Football Blog
    February 26, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Personalized Homecoming Banner 48 X134 Outdoor Slit

[…] a commission. I only share products and services that I would personally use an […]

Paula
    February 27, 2017 at 11:09 am

The Los Angeles City board concurred recently to reserve $27
    million in a walkway repair work fund, yet details of exactly
    how the cash will be spent still need to be established.

Horizontal Blog
    February 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Homecoming Week Banner 30 X82 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] readers will too – I often mention it here. I am also a member of affiliate prog […]

Sondra
    February 28, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Nonetheless, crushed rock sides are sharp, so gravel is
    frequently used together with pavers.

Fermin
    March 12, 2017 at 1:50 am

On the internet simulated trials are made use of by lawyers and reps to obtain a feel for their case as well
    as how an actual court may react to their situation.

Antonia
    March 13, 2017 at 9:52 am

With the assistance of Houston florists, we could obtain your order when you
    require it and even provide same-day delivery when orders
    are positioned by a certain time.

Volleyball Blog
    March 15, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Ice Cream Banner 48 X134 Horizontal Vinyl

[…] ices compliments of various companies. I never commit to sharing a positive revi […]

March 27, 2017 at 5:31 am

At this time, GSA Online search engine Ranker is offered at $99 one
    time payment with complimentary update for lifetime usage.

Basketball Blog
    April 9, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Personalized Homecoming Banner 48 X134 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] ive products/services compliments of various companies. I never commit to sharin […]

Homecoming Blog
    April 16, 2017 at 2:58 am

Personalized Football Pattern Banner 72×202 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] sitive review, but if I like the product and think my readers will too – I often […]

Football Blog
    May 12, 2017 at 2:41 am

Homecoming Week Banner 48 X134 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] I receive products/services compliments of various companies. I never commit to […]

Homecoming Blog
    May 27, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Carnival Ticket Personalized Banner 72×202 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] I would personally use and think are a good fit for my readers. Thank you for su […]

Attach Blog
    May 31, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Pink Birthday Personalized Banner 36 X104 Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] that I would personally use and think are a good fit for my readers. Thank you […]

Football Blog
    June 30, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Carnival Popcorn Personalized Banner 30 X82 Outdoor Slit

[…] aders will too – I often mention it here. I am also a member of affiliate progra […]

Football Blog
    October 8, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Personalized Big Soccer Vertical Banner 134 X48 Vertical Outdoor Slit Banner

[…] rious companies. I never commit to sharing a positive review, but if I like the […]

Ilyas Alamsyah
    February 23, 2018 at 2:57 pm

At this moment I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming again
    to read additional news.

kadın sayfası
    April 19, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Very good website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals that share the
    same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks!

Carrie
    May 6, 2018 at 9:27 am

Do you have pictures to go along to get a visual of what your trying to say or what the finish product looks like ?