craft

DIY Embroidered Wall Decor: Kojo Designs

Hello Little Miss Momma friends! I am Kirstin, half of the sister team that blogs at kojodesigns, and I’m thrilled to be here today.

You and I already have a lot in common- you’re here, so you love Ashley. Coincidentally, I love Ashley and her blog (don’t you just want to be her BFF and come to her awesome dinner parties?). You and I, we should be friends!

And to start off our friendship right, I’m here to share a little home decor tutorial with you. This embroidered HomeSweetHome wall art is a great way to highlight the places that are special to you!

It’s simple, fun, and easily personalized, makes a great House Warming gift (or Christmas present). Even better, it matches pretty much any decor style. And it’s perfect for the geography buffs (or frequent movers) on your list.

Ready to make one? You’ll need:
-a frame with several openings (the number of openings should match your number of locations)
-cardstock (I used Crane’s lettra cotton paper)
-embroidery thread (match the recipients existing decor if you want)
-tapestry needle
-small felt hearts

Using the size of your openings as your guide (mine were each 6″x6″), print outlines of your states, provinces, or countries (I used the font ‘dingmaps‘).

With a needle, poke holes along the outline.

Using a tapestry needle (they have large ‘eyes’), “embroider” through your already-poked holes. It was easiest for me to go around the perimeter twice (the first time, I covered every other space and then filled in the gaps on the second round).

Finish embroidering all of your places. Mark the specific cities or towns with little felt hearts.

Place each embroidered place in a frame opening and you’re finished! This little gem is equally at home sitting on a shelf (or mantle!), hanging on a wall, sitting on a chair or wrapped up to give as a gift!

Thanks for having us over today, Ashley!

And Little Miss Momma friends, come on by and say hi at kojodesigns anytime (a few recommendations of where to start your visit? Our Anthropologie Inspired Grove necklace [or vintage lace anthro knock-off bracelet], Piper Jane’s vintage glam nursery reveal, or our latest baby shower- Elephants on Parade)!

post signature

_________________________________________________________________

Isn’t Kirsten the coolest!
Kojo Designs is one of my favorite craft blogs. Check out all their amazing tutorials here and super fun parties here.
This party might be my favorite. And Piper’s nursery makes me ache for a baby girl.

Erika @ Oops! I Craft My Pants
    October 20, 2011 at 4:48 am

Super cute! I’m going to make one asap.

Megan
    October 20, 2011 at 5:29 am

What a great idea! I can’t believe how simple and easy this is.
    You guys are making it too easy to do a “homemade” Christmas!!
    Loves all around!!!

Amy
    October 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm

That is such a great idea. I have a bridal shower in a couple of weeks and think that is perfect for her gift!

Jamie
    October 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm

What a sweet idea, I love it! Going to check out Kojo designs!

Lizzy
    October 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

oh my goodness! i checked out her site and she has the cutest tutorials! …and i totally feel you about wanting a baby girl after checking them out! for now i will have to figure out ways to work these projects into my 1-yr-old son’s room! 🙂
    you ladies are so creative!

Michelle
    October 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love this!!! I can’t wait to make my mom one for Christmas! Perfect for the 4 states we’ve lived in.

beth @ dot...in the city
    October 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh, I love this idea and it would certainly make s great gift for my family members. I’m so excited to try it 🙂

Anya
    October 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I LOVE this! Just pinned it on Pinterest for all to see 🙂

Alisa
    October 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I ♥ this!! Do you know where we can buy the cotton paper you mentioned?? Thanks!

kirstin @ kojodesigns
      October 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Hey Alisa! I order the Crane’s paper online, but I think you can find it anywhere where there’s scrapbook paper. And regular old cardstock would probably work just fine as well. 🙂

ana {bluebirdkisses}
    October 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

beautiful!

Alisa I saw cotton paper at Michaels just the other day.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life
    October 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Such a unique idea and a great gift! It’s so awesome to be able to give someone a gift that you KNOW they don’t already have – and that they’ll love :).

I am LOVD
    October 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

How lucky to have such a crafty BFF! Thanks for starting the introductions!

Andrea
    October 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm

what a seriously cute idea! i love this. we’ve moved a few times and i think this is a great way to hi light the places you’ve been or where you’re from.

elise
    October 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

K, these are adorable and so simple! I love it.

karla @ bluegrass jewelry designs
    October 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Love it. I’m definitely going to have to make one.

melanie
    October 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

I have never thought to do anything like that. But I love it! Need to get on it

Make and Do Girl
    October 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

perfect. especially for those of us who have ping ponged across the country. i smell a great christmas gift!

Laura Mason
    October 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I LOVE this craft! I have been wanting to do something like this so bad, and I love this idea a lot, so easy! I ESP love her example because she had Idaho on it and even had the heart right where I would put it, over Coeur d’Alene! I wonder if we lived there at the same time, that is where my husband and I grew up! I would then have San Diego, Twentynine Palms, and now Bakersfield Ca, so it would be funny to have three Calis in my but the heart would move haha (I dont know if I would want to put a heart over Bakersfield though haha)

Tricia
    November 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I feel like I should comment, being the recipient of this awesome present from Kojo (they’re my sister-in-laws. Lucky, lucky, me!!) It was SUCH a fun present to get. Being married for just under 3 years and living in 3 of the 4 places together, it’s such a fun present to display all the places and people from those places who mean everything to us:) Thanks Kojo, and thanks Ashley (I love your blog too, and have loved reading about your love story!).

Amy
    November 15, 2011 at 3:21 am

I love this and I am planning to make one for my sister for Christmas! Can you tell me where you found the frame that you used? I have been hunting everywhere for one like it and I am stumped.

Betsy
    November 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

How do you get the dingmaps font to just make an outline? When I try to use it the whole state is colored in.

Thanks!

Heidi
    December 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

This is such an adorable idea. I found you through Pinterest, but you now have a new follower 🙂

Great blog!

Rachel
    February 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

When I use the font the whole state is filled in; how did you make just an outline with the font?

Elizabeth
      December 25, 2014 at 4:10 am

I am making this right now for my cousin. So cute! As for the DingMap states being filled in, I ran into this same thing. I just printed out states I needed in the sizes that best fit my 4 X 6 openings. Then I cut out the” filled in” states and traced around them on to the card stock with a pencil. (I put a little loop of tap on the back of the state while I was tracing to keep it in place). It seems like a pain but was pretty quick and easy. Hope that helps anyone looking.

10 Quick DIY Home Projects « Aimee Steckowski « FancyLittleThings.com
    August 27, 2012 at 4:50 am

[…] State Wall Decor // Ruffled Throw […]

Pinned: In the past | Drunk on Discounts
    November 28, 2012 at 7:45 pm

[…] yes, another art project that I keep forgetting to do. Little Miss Momma has a great tutorial for this one. Now if only I can remember to pick up some […]

Steph Roman
    December 2, 2012 at 5:08 am

Amazing and super cute idea–wow!
    Definitely going to be doing this; My fiance and I were born in different states and met in Pennsylvania, so it makes for a need-to-be project! Thanks so much for sharing!

15 Handmade Christmas Gifts to Start Making Now - HoneyBear Lane
    July 31, 2013 at 4:38 am

[…] Embroidered State Art–what a cute way to show where they’ve lived! Or do all the states where the children were born. […]

Frankie’s Anniversary Gift | Eighth Rising
    October 4, 2013 at 5:37 pm

[…] to say, that board doesn’t get looked at much ).  I came across an adorable little project (click here for step by step instructions) for embroidered wall decor.  I wanted to incorporate a memento from our wedding for his gift, so […]

Amy
    October 26, 2013 at 11:28 am

Where did you get that awesome white globe?

Frankie’s Anniversary Gift |
    November 9, 2013 at 6:24 am

Frankie’s Anniversary Gift | Eighth Rising
    November 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

Frankie’s Anniversary Gift
    December 9, 2013 at 5:04 am

Awkward and Awesome Thursday! | Elaine Nicole
    June 20, 2014 at 5:30 am

[…] DIY Embroidered Wall Decor: Kojo Designs – craft – Little Miss Momma […]

My Embroidered States Project! | Elaine Nicole
    June 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

[…] DIY Embroidered Wall Decor: Kojo Designs – craft – Little Miss Momma […]

sktmapo1.dothome.co.kr
    September 13, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website?

My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would really benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks!

facebook marketing company
    September 24, 2014 at 11:09 am

Buy a Facebook page from another person.

DIY Christmas Gifts - My Life and Kids
    November 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm

[…] Embroidered State Wall Decor from Little Miss […]

Allayna
    December 23, 2014 at 9:51 am

Where do you get the frame?

harga besi cnp 100 x 50
    March 22, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Super cute! I’m going to make one asap.