craft

How to Make Leather Feather Earrings

Eye SPY: Handmade Edition

Show me all things handmade.
Be creative.
Crafts you have been working on,
gifts, home decor, etsy finds.
So long as its handmade,
it’s perfect for this link party.

Also, note that I keep the link party open for a week
so you have plenty of time to take your pictures and link up.

Click HERE, to get caught up on I SPY.

And here are my handmades.

I SPY my latest “handmade” project,
Leather Feather Earrings
{say that 3 times fast}
And for those of you who want to know how to make these bad boys for yourself, here is a little tutorial.

1) Leather scraps, available at Joann’s
2) Fabric scissors
3) Fish hook earrings, available at Joann’s
4) 4 jump rings, available at Joann’s
5) Large, thick sewing needle
6) Needle nose pliers
1) Cut out two feather shapes from the leather scraps.
2) Poke an extra large and thick needle through the top of each feather
3) Wriggle and twist the needle to be sure the hole stays open
4) See hole
5) Use the pliers to open one of the jump rings.
6) Slip the earring on the jump ring.
7) Use the pliers to open a second jump ring and put it through the hole in the leather.
8) Now attache the two jump rings together and close with the pliers.

9) Use your fabric scissors to cut VERY thin slits at an angle all the way up the sides of the feather.
10) Then go back and cute a second very thin slit right along side the first cut.
11) Pull out the extra fabric.
12) Admire your new feather leather earrings.

I {heart} these and I may wear them every day.

I will link these feathers up to my favorite link parties found HERE.

And now, I SPY some other handmade loves of mine.

From left to right.
Photo Star: made for me by Love Stitched.
Trim lined vases that hold my knob collection.
My Favorite Things blocks, with spots for future babes.

My latest Silhouette project, my all-time favorite Scripture.
Yeah, I know, I know, I’m still working on having a steady hand.
My homemade salsa using the Pioneer Woman’s recipe.

My “in process” newly covered couch–handmade by my very talented Grandma.  I will reveal the whole thing once my Grandma finishes.

My favorite painting, done by a young teenage artist at my Church.
I love this girl, and when I saw this painting, I knew I had to have it.
It reminds me of Baby W.
Now, time to show me your handmade goodies!

MyDearJenn
    May 11, 2011 at 7:46 am

Very pretty earrings! I really want to do this. Thanks so much!

Erin
    May 11, 2011 at 7:52 am

I adore those earrings! They seem simple enough to make too; although, I don't quite trust my ability to free-hand cut a passable feather shape. Question, where did you get/how did you make the My Favorite Things Blocks? I love them!
    -Erin
    A Little Miss Momma fanatic/your birthday twin 🙂

Free Pretty Things For You
    May 11, 2011 at 7:53 am

i really really REALLY Love this DIY Ash!!!!!

Free Pretty Things For You
    May 11, 2011 at 7:53 am

i really really REALLY Love this DIY Ash!!!!!

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot!
    May 11, 2011 at 8:02 am

I love all things handmade or DIY! The earrings are so fun! I recently opened an ETSY shop so I linked it up! Thanks for offering this fun linky party!

What Sadie Did
    May 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

I am loving those earrings – super easy and super cute!!

I'm linked up to this one as I actually just posted a handmade DIY today – awesome timing!! 😀

Sadie xx

Jessica
    May 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love all of your eye spy items! Especially your knob collection! So pretty! Oh and I really love the couch too! I linked up! 🙂

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch
    May 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Okay, loving so much on this post…the earrings, the knob collection, the "My Favorite Things" blocks, the new fabric for your sofa…I could go on. 🙂

About your steady hand for transferring your vinyl, use transfer paper or contact paper. It will change your life. You can bring over lots of letters at one time…straight off your mat. It's awesome!

CAW
    May 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I love your knob collection- and the jars your mom made for treasures-love love love my favorite things blocks- gosh i have no creative diy bone in my body good thing i like to shop!!
    makes me wanna go to lowes, target, joanns and hobby lobby all in one day. i like to start a project and never finish.
    im that girl. boo
    where did you get your jewlery pie plate? i have no idea what you call it?? so that was my best shot.

Lindsay
    May 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Okay hands down FAVORITE diy of yours so far!! I love reusing leather!! I am totally gonna do this! Yes I know I overuse exclamation marks but I am super excited haha!!

Leanne
    May 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Those earrings are darling!

Drvance19
    May 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm

OMG, I am so in love with that salsa. As soon as I saw that recipe on PW, a couple of months ago, I was in heaven and I love it. Could make it all the time.

ilene @ muchloveilly
    May 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

i'm currently obsessed with feather earrings so i totally dig this DIY!

ilene @ muchloveilly
    May 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

i'm currently obsessed with feather earrings so i totally dig this DIY!

Kari
    May 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I don't have my ears pierced, but I think I NEED to make those…they'd be PERFECT gifts. Seriously, so cute! 🙂

Also, does the girl who painted Christ holding the little child's hand have an Etsy shop? If not, she SHOULD! She's very talented. I would buy a painting from her!

Rissy
    May 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm

mmmm that salsa looks so delicious!!! yummies

How did you ever think to make those earrings?! so creative and cute

CarissaExplainsItAll

Mindie Hilton
    May 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I love the earrings I think I will have to try them too. I was going to share a bracelet and scarf I just made but can't get the linky to work for me.

Have a great day beautiful.

Jayna Rae
    May 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Cn your grandma come and do my couch too? I have the material. I just can't seem to find the time. It is looking great. I love your new earrings and all of the other crafty goodness too.

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs
    May 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I LOVE those earrings! Im gonna have to try to make some for myself, since Im totally on a jewelry making kick lately! 🙂

I love the "My favorite things" blocks! So cute.
    And that painting is amazing. How sweet. That girl from your church must be ultra talented!

I tried several times to link up my post and for some reason it wont connect. 🙁 I will prolly try again later or maybe tomorrow.

Until then, here is my post: http://agapelovedesigns.blogspot.com/2011/05/feel-love-surprise-20-off-my-boutique.html

~Maria-Isabel

larissa
    May 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Your knob collection is fantastic! Where did you find such pretty door knobs? I have a DIY project in mind but I can't find any vintage or colorful OR really any knobs that I like.

And I love those earrings! I just might have to make myself some. =]

The New Witty's
    May 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm

hey your linky link isn't working and some thumbnails aren't showing up. I wanted to link up my blog! hehe.

Meagan at Fairly Fabulous Blog dot com
    May 11, 2011 at 5:26 pm

OH my goodness- those leather feather earrings are FABULOUS! I love, love, love your star, vases full of knobs, and wooden blocks. Ugh- so, so gorgeous!

Jami
    May 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

cute earrings! and now I want chip & salsa… I'll try to link up again later 😉

The Clarks
    May 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I absolutely LOVE those earrings! They are going on my to do list for this weekend!

Christal
    May 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

You are so talented and so cute! Cute earrings ! Got my package today thank you thank you! Love it i always get compliments on what I wear from you! Thank you!

Laura
    May 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm

You are so creative. They look super easy to make, and I may try that! I used to love making jewelry on a much smaller scale a few years ago. It's relaxing, and duh, you get something great from it that you can say, "I made that!" to. 🙂

Maeve Rachel
    May 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Love the painting! The earrings are very cute too, I would defo make them if I found a good alternative to the leather (I don't wear leather)! =)

Ami w/AliLilly
    May 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE those earrings!! I can't wait to make some! Thanks for sharing and hosting! 🙂

Kate
    May 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

How do you make your favorite things blocks?? LOVE THEM!

Maria Matter
    May 11, 2011 at 11:50 pm

FABULOUS earrings!!!

Jamie
    May 12, 2011 at 12:16 am

Great earrings! Sorry I accidentally linked my project twice, didn't think it worked the first time!! sorry!

Tutus & Tea Parties
    May 12, 2011 at 1:23 am

I am loving those earrings! I can't wait to try them out!

Tutus & Tea Parties
    May 12, 2011 at 1:23 am

I am loving those earrings! I can't wait to try them out!

Briana
    May 12, 2011 at 2:34 am

I really dig your knob collection! Very cool!

prototypemama
    May 12, 2011 at 3:47 am

This is def. my next little project– I love earrings! Thanks for tutorial

barneyn
    May 12, 2011 at 4:56 am

wow! this is great! i was SOOO sad! i love love your jewelry holder from Pottery Bran, tried to find in on line – no luck. Gave them a call- they don't sell these anymore!! 🙁

lori
    May 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

LOVE this 'i spy' theme! i JUST finished making cupcake toppers and a diaper cake yesterday- perfect timing!! i will link it up after the shower this weekend!! 🙂

Kari
    May 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ashley, your feather earrings rock!! I need to give this a try!!

Michelle L.
    May 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The aerrings are the coolest – so classy and easy! Great tutorial and pics!

Ranae Broadhead
    May 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm

hey we tried making your leather feather earrings. and they turned out great! except one thing, how do you get them to stay forward and not turn to the side (since the earring hook is connected from the side) does that make sense at all?? haha

melissa
    May 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

So cute! Too bad I don't have my ears pierced. Could be used for one of those super cute and long charm looking necklaces yes??

Hayley
    June 8, 2011 at 3:57 am

Thanks for this inspiration! I just made these myself and blogged all about it. I posted a photo with a link back to you crediting you for the idea! Thanks again.

Sharon
    June 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

z, którym onegdaj płynęła strumień,
    srebrzył się drgającymi rybami, weaned (Sharon) chwytającymi atmosfera spazmatycznymi ruchami skrzeli.

Wcześniejszy tam karaski, leszcze,
    jazie, chociażby kilka jesiotrów jak i również zabłą.

Five Feathered DIY | Ariela Designs
    June 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm

[…] Leather feather earrings (because they are easy to make and fun to […]

Dena
    June 12, 2013 at 8:29 am

sakwa złota pieszo nie bankieren – Dena –
    kroczy, wolno naciułać. Niewiele prześcignął biskupa, owego,
    kto obiecał, iż ustąpią miasto na krzyż nikogo nie
    niepokojeni. – Za spowodowanie zagrożenia.

Kolor Zwcad
    October 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm

W gruncie rzeczy w związku z tym jest groźba
    dla Cię głęboko.

Wprawdzie jeśliby zaznaczysz kreatywność przypadkiem zobaczyć intellicad download, że mnóstwo programistów eksploruje owo biblioteka na rzecz własnych
    najbliższych kariery aplikacji jak ów przekaz przechwytywania znajduje się odpieczętowany spośród adobe photoshop cs5 żywości jak i również kreatywności.

W związku z tym bibliooteka może przynieśćskrupulatne wyniki niżeli różnych bibliotek, które są do kupienia
    w dziedzinie cad download free. No wolno polegać na wytworach uzyskanych
    spośród tegoż klucza zaś zupełnie nie będziesz zrezygnowany wobec tego.

Ford Gt Supercar
    August 1, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widfets
    I could add to my blog that autmatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite sme time and wass hoping maybe you woould have some experience with something like this.
    Pleas let me know iff you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

HERVE LEGER
    March 30, 2020 at 11:35 am

“You can see the techniques of the knit on this style; Bandage Dress one day we will videotape the process of how our pieces are made.