live

I Get Brown in the Summer and Drink Salsa Like It’s Diet Cherry Pepsi

I’m Mexican.
Well not completely.
You see, my Dad is half Mexican {although he looks 100%},
so I guess that makes me a quarter.
Which is why I get brown in the summer,
have hot salsa running through my veins,
and will forever have a soft spot in my heart and in my tummy
for my Grandma’s crunchy chicken tacos and albondigas soup.
So when the Padre came over for dinner tonight,
I decided to cook up some Mexican goodness.
{that’s a Kobe Bryant Lakers shirt, in case you were wondering}.
And Baby W wanted to help.

While I was busy cutting up this…

for this…

and prepping these…

{Pioneer Woman Enchilladas}

Baby W was helping in his own way.

And because he has a little brown in him too (1/8th to be exact),
he enjoyed his spicy Pioneer Woman salsa
without batting an eye.

That’s my boy!

What did you eat for dinner, and who did you eat it with?

Lisa
    May 24, 2011 at 6:18 am

MMmmm. Looks delish! We had Taco Soup, salad, roasted broccoli, and fresh pineapple. That was delish, too!

Can you share your recipe puh-lease?!?!

[email protected] the ink hotel
    May 24, 2011 at 6:20 am

Looks good! I had chicken alfredo with broccoli and panna cotta for dessert. It was pretty good if I do say so.
    I love my Pioneer Woman cookbook.

Free Pretty Things For You
    May 24, 2011 at 6:22 am

would have never guess you had some Hispanic in you my love!
    People cant believe i was born in El Salvador either! πŸ˜‰

I am SO excited to see baby W eating more!! Ariel Still wont eat!! just milk πŸ™

Free Pretty Things For You
    May 24, 2011 at 6:22 am

would have never guess you had some Hispanic in you my love!
    People cant believe i was born in El Salvador either! πŸ˜‰

Yuri
    May 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

Wow.. the food looks delish!!..

I had NO idea you were even a little mexican!!! lol.. Thats totally awesome!

Shannon
    May 24, 2011 at 6:30 am

Fooled me! I had no idea you had mexican in you!!! I'd love to hear your story! I assumed your dad wasn't around being you had a single momma that raised you!!! You've thwon me for a loop!!!

Cori
    May 24, 2011 at 7:32 am

So I'm pretty sure baby W is way more hard-core with the spicy food than me. Sad day. And no wonder you are always so tan. Jealous. My arms and face tan easily, but for some (hideous) reason my legs take for-ev-er.

Lea
    May 24, 2011 at 9:20 am

Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce is the best kind! I see it in the pictures!! haha

Jennifer
    May 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

Looks delish! I think you should post the recipe!

Heather
    May 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

That looks great! I'll have to make PW's enchiladas sometime. That's great that your little guy likes the salsa. My toddler will eat medium heat salsa so I think that's a good amount of heat for a toddler.
    And, now thanks for talking about Diet Cherry Coke and having it in one of the pics because now I'm craving it so I'll have to get some today! πŸ™‚

Kristi
    May 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ha! We actually had the same thing that you did last night for supper:))) I love her recipe it was so yummy..ive been making it for awhile now and its good every time!!!

Lindsay
    May 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm

The more I get to know you, the more I swear we are sisters in another life…can you believe Im half mexican too? NO, not really, BUT my grandpa is 100% mexican (my dads step dad, who raised him)….So I claim it πŸ™‚ HAHA I LOVE hearing about your dad….OH and you have the BEST LIGHTING EVER In your house, I am jealous!

Lovely Light
    May 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm

We had chicken fajita burritos. I made the tortillas! You kinda have to where I live- South Africa! It's hard to find the right ingredients for Mexican food here, I'm hoping someone I know from Arizona will bring some mild red chile powder with her. I really want some enchiladas! I'll ahve to make my own corn tortillas too. Here is my post about making my first Mexican dinner in SA: http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com/2011/04/mexican-dinner.html

When are you doing another I SPY?
    I can't wait!!

jamie @ kreyv
    May 24, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yum. Is it bad that all of that food looks so good, and it's not even 8AM, yet?! We, too, had enchiladas last night. I tried a new recipe for honey lime enchiladas. It was just me, Stella, and the hubs! (Jealous of your beautiful, brown skin!)

Katy
    May 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The 3 of us love mexican food. That is my go to recipe for beef enchilada's. I make a variation of that salsa too. And my little girl loves chips & salsa. I'm always surprised at the spice she can handle. It's only 9 am and I'm already in the mood for Mexican (I could eat it every day). Good thing it's "taco tuesday."

The Balch Bunch
    May 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm

OH MY GOSH… that looks so good! I could eat mexican food everyday! Seriously love it… and drinking salsa, could totally do it :).

Karri
    May 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Mnnnn…Mexican – my favorite!!! We had it last night, too. Three bean burritos. Yum.
    I have one child who will eat a vat of salsa and another who can (and has) eat his weight in guacamole. The spicier, the better!

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs
    May 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

How funny, I made enchiladas too last night! I am 75% mexican (haha I use percentages when I tell people LOL) You can not tell I am mexican.. well mexicans can tell… I always get stopped in parking lots by Mexicans coming up to me speaking spanish.. and they always look so confused when I say Im sorry I dont speak spanish! I can just tell they are thinking.. 'I was sure she was mexican!' BAHAHA ANYWAYS… Yeah my dad is full 100% mexican, my mom %50 Mexican… they both spoke english AND spanish…did they teach us kids? Um no! πŸ™ Sheesh…

ANYWAYS… I made enchiladas, refried beans, corn and homemade tortilla chips.. well what I call homemade, I cut up corn tortillas and stuck them in a deep fryer.. then added salt. But hey.. people cant seem to get enough of them! πŸ™‚

I love the fact that you have some mexican in you. I never would have guessed.

Malinda Q
    May 24, 2011 at 2:18 pm

This explains why you have the most gorgeous skin! So jealous!!!
    Sadly, we had McDonalds for dinner. I had a bridal shower to go to and didn't have time to cook so my boys wanted a Happy Meal. I know what I'll be having for dinner tonight though! It's only 8 AM, but I'm already craving Mexican food after reading this! Those recipes look delicious! I've already printed the out and plan on giving them a try! Thanks!!!

pakosta
    May 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love Pioneer WOman, every recipe I makes is a favorite around here!!!
    those look YUMMY!!!
    I made cheesey chicken enchiladas for my girls and hubby. I had a banana w/ pita chips and hummus. I needed to go workout and when I got home it was 9pm so no dinner for me! oh well! I have lost 17lbs so far and need to lose 22 more!
    I am going to make those for my family!
    thanks for the post!
    I LOVE salsa, I mean like love so much I could live on it LOL! and I am not mexican AT all! HAAA!
    tara

Amber
    May 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

My son had Chick Fil A and the hubby and I had Taco Time! I was too lazy to cook after work. I usually try and make a menu and post the recipes on my food blog. Check it out! ambersnook.blogspot.com

MellyB
    May 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Suddenly my Kix/Special K dinner sounds pretty lame. Although I'm sure the 32 seconds it took to prepare dinner was a teeny bit shorter than your prep time.

[email protected]
    May 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I'm drooling! This all looks so yummy! And, of course, anything recipe from PW is sure to be a winner!

The New Witty's
    May 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm

that's funny. we also ate enchiladas and I happen to be 1/2 Mexican…haha, so my kids are 1/4 mexicanos! ajua!

Tiffany
    May 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Yummy! And btw..I am half mexican…although if you were to look at me you would never guess it. I look totally white. Ha!

Mexican food is my favorite.

Laura
    May 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Yum! Mexican food is the best! And guess what, I made enchiladas too, honey lime chicken. Mmm, can't wait for leftovers at lunch!!

Kaylin
    May 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I looooove Pioneer Woman!! Your meal looks wonderful!! I love when my family comes over for dinner. We are all super super southern so it is a chance to break away from my health nut self and cook some fried chicken, beer battered cat-fish, and collard greens!!! I do love it so do my boys! Last night however…it was just us three. I made ginger soy salmon with rice and garlic baked asparagus!! Each of us with a tall glass of homemade Pomegranate kiefer!!

Sierra
    May 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Oh man, half mexi here too! Can I come over for dinner??? I, too make my mama's albondigas soup and salsa runs thru my veins in the summer! So yummy!!

Erin
    May 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I had curried coconut chicken served over brown rice and cauliflower. YUM! I ate it with my 3 yo and 19 mo old. I am going to be eating leftovers for a few days and I am okay with that.

Here is the awesome recipe.

Jayna Rae
    May 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I am loving our blonde Latino babies. My husband is Cuban, so my boys are 1/2ers. I love how Baby W helps. That is a great idea for entertaining while cooking. I will be stealing it, if you don't mind that is.

Party Box Design
    May 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm

yum

TerinAleah
    May 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I gave you an award! πŸ™‚

Andrea
    May 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Looks delish!! Sounds like a great night to me! I lived with a Mexican family during my internship years ago, they are like second parents, and I love to pretend I am Mexican as well! πŸ™‚

Jess
    May 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That looked so fab! Recipe sharing?!? πŸ™‚

Alexandra C
    May 24, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh wow, this just made me hungry, I <3 mexican food and this looks yummy!
    Darn, I only have cereal in my cupboard for dinner πŸ™

Lil Mama Stuart
    May 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm

gotta love p dub. her web deliciousness series seriously has me drooling every. time.

Shannon
    May 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Mexican is my forte- and my favorite. Last night I was treated to a girls dinner with a few friends- breaded lemon and basil chicken, cooscoos salad, and capris. All of which I can take no credit for making πŸ™‚

Drvance19
    May 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

How annoying blogger just ate my comment…
    How cute is your dad! I'm uber jealous that you get brown that has never been me. I'm pastey white all winter and then come summer I'm more eggshell and with a hubs who is part Italian it just makes me look all the more bright white.
    I've mentioned in another comment how much I love P-Dub's salsa and it's so easy just throw it all in the blender. Did you cook? It's so much better than take-out, but I'm right there with you on the daily "what's for dinner". Homemade is tasty but not sure if it beats all the convenience of take-out. All the prep, the actual cooking and then the dreaded clean-up. I have all the fixin's in the house for making salsa for the weekend.

M.O.T.B
    May 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Yummy!

retrohipmama
    May 24, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I too have a Mexican Padre!!! He has never lived in Mexico, they are all from New Mexico but his accent is fun and I too could live off Mexican food…every meal…for reals.

Tonight I am driving an hour to pick up Mexican food from our favorite restaurant…but it's awesome that you cooked it up for your daddy!

Hope you're having a great week!

TCahal
    May 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm

NOM NOM NOM!! I LOVE Mexican food…so jealous that I can't have any right now…trying to be good so I can loose some much needed weight; lost 23 so far in 6 weeks I think πŸ™‚

Tara
    May 25, 2011 at 12:13 am

Hey, I'm a 1/4th Mexican too and so my kids are all an 1/8th and they tan so well, just like their mama. My dad was adopeted though, so we don't know his biological family or what his other roots are, we just know that his mom was Mexican. Your foods look sooo yummy!!

Mrs. G.I. Joe
    May 25, 2011 at 12:22 am

Impressive!!! My tot is one of the pickiest eaters on the planet.

And after looking at this I'm starving!

Katy
    May 25, 2011 at 12:57 am

Hey! I am fairly new to reading your blog (and I love it:) but I am also 1/4 mexican and my daughter is 1/8 (obivously :p) but I am not brown:( I have blonde hair and blue eyes and fair skin, so most people are very surpirsed to hear that I am mexican. And my family and I ate turkey tacos tonight! Just thought it was too ironic not to comment!

p.s. I love your writing and your honesty about motherhood and its not so awesome moments its refreshing to read about other people and not feel so alone!

Madison
    May 25, 2011 at 1:52 am

oooh yum. Homemade salsa is the BEST!

I'm one of the yearbook editors for my school and we had banquet tonight. Yummy yummy italian food! πŸ™‚

Suzy @ Joy Is At Home
    May 25, 2011 at 1:54 am

oh my goodness HOW is that your dad?! I had no idea you were mexican and you look nothing like him (that i can tell from this picture!) So fun though! I'm jealous of those dark tannable genes! πŸ™‚ looks like a delish meal!

Annie Sue
    May 25, 2011 at 2:56 am

I have been a follower for a while and I LOVE your blog! A side from my older sisters blog yours might be my favorite! I love your stories about Baby W! And I think I have tried just about every hair accessory tutorial you have!

The Girly Tomboy
    May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I loved this post except that your dad was wearing a Laker's shirt. eww

GO JAZZ!

ps-you do have amazing skin

christa @ enSTYLEpedia
    May 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm

i'm a 1/4 mexican too- twinners! my dad is also half too.
    and my super blond, blue eyed, daughter is a fan of my pico and doesn't even bat an eye at the hotness. seriously, twinners.

An Irish Italian Blessing
    May 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

How on earth did Baby W eat chips and salsa and not spill anything on his shirt? I'm 29 and pretty sure I spill every time I eat chips and salsa.

Dana
    May 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm

okay so now I am totally addicted to your blog πŸ˜€ can u just come on over and teach me how to be girly, use a camera properly, and how to get fit?? I am so bad at all of those things!! UGG!!!

Alyssa
    May 26, 2011 at 1:12 am

So yummy! We had Buca di Beppo inspired Pasta Carbonara…mmmm!

Katania
    May 26, 2011 at 1:51 am

OMG! You are a girl after my own heart! We could be sisters! I absolutely love mexican food. The spicier the better and what better to pair it with than Diet Cherry Pepsi. Hurray to the Diet Cherry Pepsi girls! I think it tastes sooooo much better than Diet Coke! Everything you made looks absolutely delish. I just wish my little man would eat it. He is so picky. Oh well more for me πŸ™‚

hotpantsβ„’
    May 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Mmm, it all looks so yummy!

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy
    June 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I love mexican food! So good!! I'm from New Mexico originally and man, that food down there is so good! I miss it!

–Sandy

harga besi beton ulir 16mm
    March 22, 2016 at 6:51 pm

MMmmm. Looks delish!

majece majece
    November 4, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Information from https://celltrackingapps.com/spy-app-iphone/ will help you to get info about iPhone Spy Apps. It’s really useful to know in modern world