live

Did I Mention I’m Sicker Than a Dog?

Have we ever talked about how I don’t know how to be sick?
Like how I don’t know how to be productive when I’m sick…
Or how I think I can still do everything on my calender when I’m sick…
Or how I forget what day of the week it is when I’m sick…
Or how {unlike most sickies who lose their appetite}
I eat fast food three times a day when I’m sick…
Or how I look like a gargoyle when I’m sick…
Or how I fail at all my “wifely duties” when I’m sick…
No, I haven’t mentioned that before?

My house becomes chaos when I’m sick.
And right now I AM SICK.
And so is the hubby,
and so is the baby.

And this is what our house looks like when its sick:

This is on top of my dresser.

This is my nightstand–that’s my Jumbo Diet Pepsi with a shot of Dr. Pepper, and yes, those are my used tissues.

Here is one of many laundry piles that can be found in every room of the house.

Here is another {how about the irony of the pillow, huh}.

And here is another–except these are clean, because that’s how I put away the hubby’s clean clothes when I’m sick {or even when I’m not sick, oops}.

Here is the closest my bed has gotten to being made all week.

Here is what our unmade bed looks like today.

Check out the elephant humidifier on the night stand–a must when sick.

My kitchen table with greasy leftover chips from another fast food meal–because fast food always helps you overcome being sick, right?

And we have officially run out of toilet paper,
and are using baby wipes instead…which makes me think:
 why don’t I use baby wipes every day?
They are oh-so-soft with just the right amount of cucumber fragrance.

And this is where our poopy diapers live–because when I am sick, the trash can is just too far away.

And still no pedicure.

But I did make time for ONE worthwhile activity yesterday.
I packed up Baby W and walked to our local Trader Joe’s to get all the fixins for a healthy meal.
I loaded them up in my new
Burlap Market Tote from All Things Vintage,
and I walked home with good intentions of cooking some soup.

And then we had Taco Bell for dinner,
{Mexican pizza, no meat, add lettuce x 2}
instead of the soup,
which I never cooked.

hotpants™
    February 11, 2011 at 2:06 am

The diaper pic kills me. We throw ours right outside the kitchen door into the garage when we're feeling lazy and/or it's late at night. I'm usually the one who grabs them all in the morning and takes them to the trash can since it's a few feet from my car. We do this when we're perfectly healthy so I feel ya.

Bethany
    February 11, 2011 at 2:08 am

You are pitiful! =) Get better soon!
    Love the place for the diapers!! lol!

Suzi Q
    February 11, 2011 at 2:12 am

Oh you! I just love your sicky face. We have the exact same humidifier and her name is Ethel. My house looks like this pretty often so….yeah…

Audrey Crisp
    February 11, 2011 at 2:15 am

You are hilarious! Hope you get feeling better pronto! I am the same way when I'm sick… I just watch TV and sleep all day! Although messy, I really enjoyed the little house tour! Too cute!

1ne Proud Mama
    February 11, 2011 at 2:18 am

Oh no! Being sick sucks! I hope you all get better soon.
    Um…but can i say that the poopy diapers on the patio crack me up!

Oh ya…and my toensils look like that ALL the time! Its very unfortunate!

Dawn
    February 11, 2011 at 2:22 am

hope you feel better soon! my bed and laundry and toenails look like that even when i'm not sick-lol! get lots of rest!

Mindie Hilton
    February 11, 2011 at 2:37 am

Hope you feel better. I had one of those, not feeling energetic enough to get out of my pjs kind of day too.

Heidi Ferguson
    February 11, 2011 at 2:37 am

I have been so sick all week too! And actually this is like the fourth illness I've had this YEAR (yes, 2011!) I'm just SICK of being SICK. I am all too familiar with the used tissues, running out of TP, and buying healthy food that doesn't get cooked. Sigh. Guess I'll never lose those last 10 baby weight pounds. Crap.

Here's to getting better!

Kari
    February 11, 2011 at 2:39 am

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for you to look like a gargoyle. Every picture I've ever seen of you, you look PERFECT!! 🙂

Get well, soon! Drink lots of orange juice (that's what my mom always tells me when I'm sick!)

Lee Ann
    February 11, 2011 at 2:40 am

Really hope you feel better soon!! It's no fun being sick, even though you write about it in a way that makes us smile!

Jill
    February 11, 2011 at 2:45 am

Yay to the winner!!
    and you get better fast!

oh, you ever wonder where that saying sicker than a dog came from? That was my first thought when I saw your post today 🙂

here's a link I found on yahoo answers…someone answered that question.

Jayna Rae
    February 11, 2011 at 2:47 am

Feel better!!! That was our house last week. It ends. I promise.

Jenna
    February 11, 2011 at 2:53 am

I'm sorry you guys are sick! I hope everyone feels better soon.

I love that you posted this. It's nice to see someone being really REAL.

Michelle Life Buy The Beach
    February 11, 2011 at 2:54 am

I can't believe you have no new pedi yet. Angelo says we have the same feet. His exact words. WOW that looks like your foot only smaller.

Congrats winners and Hey I might have to get that bag for my farmers market shopping at the beach!

While My Sailors Aweigh
    February 11, 2011 at 2:54 am

Hilarious!! I love this post!! Hope you all start feeling better soon!! [:

chinamommy
    February 11, 2011 at 2:54 am

2 words: NETI POT!! Got rid of my nasty cold in 4, yes, FOUR DAYS!!! I should be their spokesperson, google it!
    That diaper pic CRACKED ME UP, I had to look twice to see what it was!
    Get well momma!!

Free Pretty Things For You
    February 11, 2011 at 3:01 am

all those other things you forget dont matter when your sick my love!!
    at least you dont forget your hilariousness when your sick!!
    Prayers coming your way!!!!!

Free Pretty Things For You
    February 11, 2011 at 3:01 am

all those other things you forget dont matter when your sick my love!!
    at least you dont forget your hilariousness when your sick!!
    Prayers coming your way!!!!!

Shaeroe
    February 11, 2011 at 3:12 am

I have been reading your blog for a while now, and just finally became a follower! This burlap bag is absolutely to die for. Hope you all feel better!

Blessed Mommy of 2
    February 11, 2011 at 3:18 am

I hope you and the fam feel better soon! You forgot to mention you are even funny when you are sick :o)

Carly
    February 11, 2011 at 3:31 am

omgee, i love the diapers.

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch
    February 11, 2011 at 3:40 am

Bless your sweet little heart! It's no fun being a sick momma! 🙁 Hope you all start to feeling better soon and ALL of our houses look like that when we are sick…diapers and all. 🙂

AshleyMarie
    February 11, 2011 at 3:58 am

I HATE being sick so I feel for you!! Hope you all get better soon. I love the pictures of your home, because even when you are sick your home still looks clean, I swear!!

readyornot
    February 11, 2011 at 4:01 am

This post makes me feel so much better about myself, except for the fact that I do almost all these things when I am not sick….and your house is 10 times cleaner than mine. :-/ Not feeling so good about myself.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top
    February 11, 2011 at 4:12 am

Poopy diapers get wrapped in plastic grocery bags and tossed out the back door until I put them in the big trash can. You'd think since I'm grandma I wouldn't have to do this but somehow it's become my job. Hmmm. Haha. Anyway…..feel better soon! It stinks when momma's sick! Nothing gets done.

Jessica Rae
    February 11, 2011 at 4:12 am

Hiiii!! I said I would write about it once I received the mustache necklace, so here it is!

Hope you feel better! (P.S. Trader Joe's = Love)

Kyle-Michelle-Kaylie
    February 11, 2011 at 4:17 am

HAHAH! i love that you said you look like a gargoyle, who says that? haha. died laughing at the diapers pic, i even had to show my husband this post, just too funny. I have clean laundry piling up in the laundry room because I just have NOT been in the mood to fold or hang.
    Love to see posts like this to show that even you are not perfect.

Jennie
    February 11, 2011 at 4:17 am

Whenever I am sick, basically I consider myself practically dead and then I don't do anything. And I meander about my house in leggings and an old basketball T-Shirt and kinda give mouth-breathing, dead-eye zombie looks to anyone who even attempts to communicate with me. It's adorable.

A.B.
    February 11, 2011 at 4:23 am

I have a deep deep deep desire for all things white in my house. I'm impressed by how clean everything looks even while sick. Our bed doesn't look that ncie when NOT sick. And, that is also how I put away the hubs clean duds.

I think I pretend to be sick to get me out of my duties.

MELANIE
    February 11, 2011 at 4:41 am

Omg girl I love you! You are so freakin cute! I thought I was the only one who throws diapers out the sliders. My garbage cans are like 30 feet away too. I love that you are so REAL with us ….that's a big thing for me. Get well soon…big hugs your way!

[email protected]
    February 11, 2011 at 5:06 am

Feel better soon. I always crave fast food when I am sick. My hubby thinks I am crazy. I think its cause when I am sick I sit in front of that tv all day and see all the yummy KFC and pizza ads. My appetite is definately not gone when I am sick.

Jamie
    February 11, 2011 at 6:02 am

That picture of the diapers out on your porch is hilarious. I'd love to do that, but my dogs would think they were snacks. I know that's gross, but…so are my dogs.

Ashley
    February 11, 2011 at 6:17 am

Hi I am fairly new follower climbing out or the LURKY waters and commenting, haha! You are so cute! I love the diapers they are my favorite part of your sick house tour. Keepin it real, nothing like it..makes you so relatable cause girl, we are ALL like that. Heck I have days when I am not even sick and feel like the house gets like that..whew! Love your blog and all your great tips! I think our little men might be similar in age, Ashton is 13 months..I haven't been here long enough to see how old your lil guy is…but i heart bed head too!!

Comeca Jones
    February 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hope you are well soon. What a big job Moms and wives have and we sure are reminded of that when she is too ill to keep organized.Fell better!

xx B
    February 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

Hey there 🙂
    I'm just starting to emerge from the shadows of blogland and just had to leave a comment to let you know that your blog is awesome! It's so real, so fresh and soo easy to relate. Would love you to pop over and visit my blog "eleventhirtyish.blogspot"
    Rest up and get better!
    Thanks a bunch xx

Scribble Scrabble
    February 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

I love all the honesty you show about being sick. It's amazing what happens to a house when there is something off.
    PS- I love the bit about fast food. There's nothing some McDonalds French Fries can't make happy!

I hope you and your family feel better for the weekend!

Katie
    February 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Ummm…. Your sick house is cleaner than my well house 😉

The Dayleys
    February 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I'm grateful to know I'm not the only one whose home looks like this when sick {minus the diapers lol} Thanks for sharing!! Being sick is the worst!!

Jess (hellowifeonline.com)
    February 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Being sick is the worst… and is made worse by the knowledge that you'll have a whole house to clean when you're well again. That's why I always milk it as long as possible… 🙂

Stephanie D
    February 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm

It stinks when your sick and have to take care of a baby! I can relate to the diapers on the back porch. I'm too lazy to walk around the corner to the trash cans so Koopers poop diapers pile up a little on the back porch, until my older boys are playing outside and I make them put them in the trash.

the momma (aka Shannon)
    February 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm

elephant humidifiers are not only a necessity when sick…but an absolute MUST when one is suffering from "pregnancy nose".
    i laughed so hard when i saw your humidifier…i just did a post last week showing my elephant sitting prominently on my bedside table. 🙂
    glad to know i'm not the only one out there sportin' a pachyderm and proud of it.

Life with the Websters!
    February 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Poor girl! The clean design of your house makes it appear clean anyways, so you have nothing to worry about! And I love the bag that your groceries are in!! ADORABLE! 🙂

nicole.
    February 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm

This was hilarious – but what my excuse if this stuff goes on why everyone in the house is HEALTHY.

Alison
    February 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

loved this post!! I would love to know you in real life.. I think we would be great friends :)… hope you guys get better soon. Isnt it such a bummer when everyone is sick at once! I hate it! oh and that is so wierd.. the girl who made the tote and has that blog is a friend of mine.. it's a small world 🙂

LilBuckarooDesigns
    February 11, 2011 at 5:05 pm

When I grow up I want to learn how to let my guard down more and realize it's okay to not be perfect and always have everything under control ( I never do- just always want people to think I do!) I want to be omay with keeping it real because your honesty is so refreshing and so real life! I really am trying to learn from you Ashley!! Feel better soon!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely
    February 11, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Here's hoping you feel better soon!! The sickly photos were entertaining in the meantime though! 😉

Candace
    February 11, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Not going to lie – you make a dirty house look good with those photography skills. 🙂

Aimee K.
    February 12, 2011 at 1:47 am

I'm so sorry you're all sick:( Hope you feel better soon!

I wanted to let you know I gave you a blog award on my blog: http://ajcrazies.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-awards.html. Go check it out!

Jodi
    February 12, 2011 at 2:44 am

It's always rough when the Mommy gets sick! I hope you feel better! And by the way, that's what our house looks like too when we are sick minus the poopy diaper picture, my daughter is 13! 🙂

Take care.

jodi

Ani
    February 12, 2011 at 3:05 am

hope you guys feel better soon!!! xoxo
    The husbands laundry in the chair made me feel like im not the only that does that!! lol… thanks

Jamie K.
    February 12, 2011 at 3:32 am

Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does… sent me your way!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too
    February 12, 2011 at 4:25 am

I hope you all feel better soon!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too
    February 12, 2011 at 4:25 am

I hope you all feel better soon!

Tahnie
    February 12, 2011 at 5:26 am

How is it that even when you are sick your house still looks amazing? Ha, I love it!

Sookie also has that elephant humidifier. 🙂

kerrykatiecakeskeb43
    February 13, 2011 at 5:51 am

You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon – that soup really would help, you know! lol
    Hugs,
    Kerry

Chrissy @ Boerman Ramblings
    February 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I am in the same boat as you…this cold is kicking my butt! hope you feel better soon.
    also when are you going to do a photo tour of your house. I love the snippets we get. Is everything in every room white?

HERVE LEGER
    March 31, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Herve Leger, Oktoberfest outfit people tend to wear our collections together, as one piece. But I like them as separates; it’s almost cooler,” she says. “I would put this jacket with a pair of jeans or a work skirt. And of course it all but if you’re in L.A.