eat

An Afternoon With Pioneer Woman

Dear Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Sheet Cake,
We cannot be friends.
I do not trust myself alone with you.
I knew you would be good, but I didn’t know you would be that good.
But I suppose a recipe that calls for four sticks of butter and a pound of powdered sugar is bound to be life altering.
I will never be able to enjoy a Costco chocolate cake again.
Thanks a lot.
Sincerely,
LMM

No worries, I washed my hands after I licked the bowl clean.

What’s that, MORE butter you say…

And a mountain of powdered sugar surrounded by a mote of boiling chocolate…Willy Wonka, eat your heart out.

I suggest immediately filling the bowl with water, as to prevent you from devouring every last drop of cake batter. Maybe throw in some dish soap just to be sure.

Then check on the baby to make sure he isn’t standing on the back of the couch. Yep, pants removed, just as I suspected.

Make these. You won’t be sorry.
Getting closer to checking #89 off my life list.
Off to make her Comfort Meatballs and Home Style Mashed Potatoes,
and then hop into a pair of pants with an elastic waistband.
__________________________________________
BTW: Did you know you can find me on facebook?
I fb about all sorts of totally riveting topics like what I ate for lunch and my favorite TV show quotes. You should visit, its good stuff.

april
    June 1, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Holy Moly! that looks good!! I am soooo going to make that one! Have you tried her Cherry Cake Pudding? amazing!

Pamela
    June 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Well, I just looked at the deliciousness of it all and my elastic snapped. That little snap of pain should have been enough for me to close your blog…oh no…it's just wanting me to run to the kitchen and drag out all the ingredients. 🙂

Drooling,
    Pamela

wildchild
    June 1, 2011 at 10:51 pm

yummmmmmmmm. i just drooled all up on my keyboard. i can't wait to make this. thanks 🙂

Nina @ Momma Go Round
    June 2, 2011 at 12:04 am

So we are coming over for dinner right?

{just.lovely.things}
    June 2, 2011 at 12:23 am

Dear Chocolate Sheet Cake,

Since Ashley no longer wants to be friends with you, I think we should hang..

I would treat you well.

Xoxo, Heather

Abbie
    June 2, 2011 at 12:26 am

I am a follower of the Pioneer Woman. I bought her cookbook. I have done a couple of her receipes. They were delish.

I haven't tried her chocolate sheet cake. It sure looks heavenly.

Continue to have fun with the next one.

Jenae @ Wildflower
    June 2, 2011 at 12:39 am

THAT.looks.so freaking yummy!! I think that is going to be my next book I buy!! mmmm Nom Nom Nom

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs
    June 2, 2011 at 1:04 am

my mouth literally just watered… YUM.

jamie @ kreyv
    June 2, 2011 at 1:06 am

LOL! You sound like me. I have no self-control around baked goods! That looks delish!

Mrs.J
    June 2, 2011 at 1:12 am

I have consumed so much butter since I found her site! I recommend her crash potatoes if you feel like something "light!"

Rachelle
    June 2, 2011 at 1:13 am

Girlfriend, knock it off.

I can't and will not lose this *ahem* baby weight (toddler weight) with posts like these.

Thanks in advance for knocking ..it ..off.

xo 😉

[email protected]
    June 2, 2011 at 1:44 am

I told you it was pure evil, lol! I made it again this past weekend. I HAD to, it was my baby's first birthday and he loved it too! 😉

Tara
    June 2, 2011 at 1:45 am

I made this on monday for a BBQ and everyone loved it. So yummy! I love her cookbook

Marianne
    June 2, 2011 at 2:55 am

Love the meatballs and mashed potatoes. I have made them both several times. Now I've got to try the cake. Love the cookbook, it is my favorite of all times.

Erica @ Acire Adventures
    June 2, 2011 at 4:12 am

I would try the recipe, but I would probably end up altering the scale in the opposite way that I would like to. Looks amazing!

ilene @ muchloveilly
    June 2, 2011 at 4:25 am

oh.em.gee. that looks INSANELY good!!!! can i come over and have a slice?!

ilene @ muchloveilly
    June 2, 2011 at 4:25 am

oh.em.gee. that looks INSANELY good!!!! can i come over and have a slice?!

Natalia Lynn
    June 2, 2011 at 4:51 am

This looks incredible. I need to make this now. And I need that cookbook!

Zsa Zsa
    June 2, 2011 at 5:22 am

Gosh Ashley, now look at what you've done…I cannot get this out of my head and I'm craving chocolate like crazy! haha Thanks for sharing the recipe though. A-mazing!

Ami w/AliLilly
    June 2, 2011 at 6:50 am

I seriously would leave my hubby for the Pioneer Woman! Ok, maybe for just a day!! I love her and this cake!! OH MY HEAVENS!! I JUST made one too! Not this one but another one!! See! http://alililly.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-made-pioneer-womans-pig-cake.html

gin
    June 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

I ask my mom for chocolate sheet cake every year for my birthday; it's my favorite ever cake. Plus, it's a sheet cake so you can eat a lot of it without feeling guilty. Right?

Casey Martinez
    June 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

omg that cake def. looks deadly delicious!!! Yum!

[email protected] Wants This
    June 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh my. Is it wrong that I really want to lick my screen?

Joy
    June 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love this cake! I've been making it for years. As matter of fact, when I first got married, it was one of the only things I knew how to bake from "scratch"! Now, my daughter requests it as her birthday cake every year and it's so easy to take to outings!

Laura
    June 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I LOVE this cake (and I'm not a real chocolate person). Whenever I make these, I always have leftovers so I cut them into squares, wrap them individually w/plastic wrap then put them in a freezer bag and into the freezer. Then I can eat one at a time and feel less guilty and I don't feel like I waisted a whole sheet cake when I get mad at myself for eating half the pan and throw it away.

Nance Mommy
    June 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Ashley! I am warning you…the comfort meatballs will change your life. They take forever to cook and they are so worth it! You will never want another meatball again…I'm not joking!!!!

Ariel
    June 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Ohhh my goodness these look so incredibly good! I must try them! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Sourkraut
    June 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

What a wonderful life list you linked to! Uh, and I agree with you on every count about that recipe. Even though the one time I was able to sorta justify making it my pan was too shallow and my oven uneven so the frosting ran over the side and all over my kitchen I was still in love with that amazing cake. I couldn't hold an extra 30 minutes of cleanup against a cake that awesome. I love love love that cookbook and gave it as gifts to all my friends. Now they love it too!

Nicole
    June 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

LOL! My sister and I made it twice this week! Once for our dad's birthday party and we LOVED it so much we decided that my 6 month old needed a 1/2 birthday cake. It is seriously life altering!! 🙂

Carolyn
    June 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Sinfully good!

Marcella
    June 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm

recipe sounds yummy! i make a killer texas sheet cake and it is very similar!

-Marcella

Hope
    June 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I have made this cake recipe several times. Always amazes me how good it is!!!!

Erin A
    June 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Yum yum yum! Even the dish soap might not have kept me away.

I was just writing up your intro for Lemon Tree, including some links to favorite posts, and saw that your "I have a secret" post was a year ago today! Crazy! Has it been a liberating year for you getting that out in the open and getting so much support from your readers? I hope so! We applaud you for it!

Keep up the good work!!

XO

Erin

Courtney
    June 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Those meatballs are a hit with my kids, not so much the husband, but who cares! He and I can eat sushi while the kids eat meatballs 🙂

Anonymous
    June 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm

this choc cake is too die for..My kids and husband all ask for PW choc cake for their birthdays. Mmmmm, Mmmmm GOOD! You need to try Marlboro Man sandwich, we added provalone 🙂

Sarah
    June 3, 2011 at 1:00 am

Yum!! Thanks for sharing. :o)

Amanda
    June 3, 2011 at 1:19 am

I am gonna hafta try this!
    Pioneer woman is amazing. We make her spaghetti and meatballs, cajun chicken pasta, pizza dough recipe, spinach and cheese quesos,and have never ever been disappointed!!

Lady goo goo gaga
    June 3, 2011 at 3:49 am

Omg u even made the pile of ingredients on the counter look delightful!!

The Zeediks
    June 3, 2011 at 3:58 am

Ok I remember Bakerella talking about this recipe and now I have been reminded and will be forced to try it. Thank you and no thank you.
    Also, W in no pants is hystarical and I totally get it. I hate pants too!

Amber Hendricks
    June 3, 2011 at 4:24 am

So here is the deal, I now know that ANYTHING that comes from the Pioneer woman will be good, thanks to you Ashley. I have made her salsa almost every week since your post about it and then I just made her enchiladas last night and everyone loved them! Needless to say, I will be making that shortly! 🙂 Thanks for the post that made my mouth water at 10:23 at night.
    Amber

Amber Hendricks
    June 3, 2011 at 4:26 am

oh hey, me again, my mind is starting to lose it at this time of night. I was wanting to ask if she has a book? and {if yes} where can I purchase? Thanks!!

Laura
    June 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

Oh my that looks dangerously good!

Mrs. Wonder
    June 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

That's on my list now, for sure! I've made the meatballs several times. Mmmm.

Alyssa
    June 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

You know just how to tempt your readers!!
    And I like the comment about baby w!
    Just as you suspected! (:

Kyle-Michelle-Kaylie
    June 5, 2011 at 2:39 am

just started a super strict diet to get this baby weight off for good (baby is 11 months now and i dont have an excuse any more) i am dying over this! i decided if i lose all the weight i want im making this!

Melissa
    June 5, 2011 at 4:30 am

I literally just got her book in the mail! I'm so excited to try out some of her recipes and now this might be the first! YUM!

kandi @ scrumpture
    June 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm

oh my, that looks amazing.

Teresa
    June 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I have that cookbook…now I know the reason I put it on the shelf after looking at all the recipes and haven't picked it up since. Darn you! Guess what I'LL be baking later this week? LOL

Angela Negron Fulton
    June 6, 2011 at 1:50 am

Ummmm I made this yesterday for a friend's birthday and I also made a coconut whipped topping and put that on there as well. It was a HIT! I ate two pieces myself…. now it's time to workout! 🙂

Emily Scharnhorst
    June 6, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Looks D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! You and your adorable family is going to be in heaven while you cook your way through her cookbook!!!

Jayna
    June 11, 2011 at 3:57 am

Ok I know its been like over a week and the thought of this cake haunted me until I made it for myself..Thank you Ashley! It was delicious! and in honor of that, I made it MY first blog post!

Jayna

Kelsey
    July 10, 2011 at 4:14 am

Omigosh that looks amazing! I have yet to make any of her recipes but now i HAVE to! My husband and I are both huge chocolate lovers. Thanks for the craving! 🙂

Replica Louis Vuitton Handbags
    August 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Our website where products all comes from LV and stock processing plants in Third World countries, so it is quality or the surface is the same with certified products.

HERVE LEGER
    March 29, 2020 at 2:05 pm

So we love to add movement Beer Costume with these bands that emulate fringe,