craft

DIY Coffee Filter Lamp Shade

DIY Coffee Filter Lamp Shade

You all know how much I love my Momma.

Little Miss Momma's Momma

Which is why I’m pretty excited about the new little section you will find on LMM.
Take a look up top…yep, right there…on the second menu bar under my header.
See that tab that says “LMM’s Momma”. If you put your mouse over it you will see a drop down of each of the fun topics my talented Momma will be sharing with all of us.  Her DIY projects, decorating tips, favorite recipes, and stories of motherhood and even grandmomma-hood. Impart her wisdom, if you will–and I couldn’t be more excited.

So here’s the scoop on today’s project.
I have had this lamp since Ben and I got married. As soon as I discovered my favorite home decor “style”, this lamp started living in the garage. The other day, while I was looking for my old rubber stamps, I stumbled upon said lamp. And in my typical impromptu and speed of light behavior, I had that bad boy spray painted robins egg blue in no time. The only problem was now the cream lamp shade clashed.  So I put it back in the garage to collect dust.

Here’s where my Momma comes in.
The other afternoon I was begging her to get hip with Pinterest, explaining that she had noooo idea what she was missing.  While showing her the ropes we stumbled upon a dozen or so coffee filter DIY projects.

I can do that, she said.
I handed her my lamp shade and cordless glue gun and said,
Well get to it then.
And she did.
And we took pictures.
And then we got the idea that she should post projects on a regular basis.
And I was happy.

Now, here’s Momma’s project. Note: We certainly realize we’re not the first to create a lamp shade using coffee filters, but we still wanted get our craft on and share the fun with you.

Coffee filter lamp shade supplies

Coffee Filter Lamp Shade Supplies:
Lamp shade of your liking
Hot glue gun and 3 to 4 large glue sticks
2 to 3 packages of coffee filters (160 per bag at the Dollar Tree). I used a little over two bags.

coffee filter lamp shade tutorial

1.  Separate the coffee filters
2  Cup the filter gently between your finger and thumb
3. Be sure to expose enough of the bottom of the filter to apply hot glue safely
4.  Apply hot glue to the end of the filter
5.  Quickly and carefully attach the hot glued end of the filter to the lamp shade
6.  Place them as close together as possible

After burning my fingers several times, I got smart and started using the end of a thick sharpie instead.

coffee filter crafts

Once I figured out the sharpie shortcut…
This only took about an hour and 20 minutes to complete.

DIY Coffee Filter Lamp Shade

Finished lamp shade

Finished coffee filter lamp shade

Cute lamp shade made from coffee filters

I can’t wait hang out with you guys again!

-Michelle
{Little Miss Momma’s Momma}

Tracy
    August 24, 2011 at 5:50 am

LOVE it — I must try it, but am a bit worried– could it cause a fire…

looking forward to more posts by lmms momma !

Iris
      August 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I thought about doing this immediately after seeing how great it turned out but you’re right, Tracy. Could this cause a fire? Seems a little scary. Hopefully not though!

Jennifer
    August 24, 2011 at 5:54 am

So fun. I have been wanting to do that for a while. I have 2 lamp shades that I want to do, but I just don’t have the time yet to sit down and do it. Also, I kind of wonder about cleaning it? I vacuum my lampshades normally and wouldn’t know how to clean that one. Have any tips? If you say it’s an easy clean up I will totally believe you and try one when I get the chance. 🙂

Sherry
      September 18, 2015 at 3:39 am

you can use the computer keyboard cleaner (the one in the can) without getting too close

[email protected]
    August 24, 2011 at 6:05 am

Ahh so cute! I love it!! Can’t wait to see more projects with your mom!

Kensley
    August 24, 2011 at 6:23 am

I LOVE This!!! I have to have one! Ok, I have to have like 10. Now I just need to find a bazillion lamps that want to be renovated. I love it! You guys did awesome!

Kasey @ Little Brick House
    August 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

How cute, both the lamp and the fact you feature your Mom on your blog! 🙂

RadiomomRhetoric
    August 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

ohhh!! I just bought 2 lamps on clearance—and this would be perfect with their plain white boring shades!!

Steph Paul
    August 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

It looks great!!! I love that space…..everything about it!

jamie
    August 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

Love it!

Celeste
    August 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

Oh my goodness, that is soooo cute! You’ll have to let us know how it holds up!

Lindsay
    August 24, 2011 at 11:48 am

So cute and simple. I love that lamp!!! Great to see your Momma helping – she seems so sweet.

missmultitasker
    August 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I LOVE that! I think that may fit in my bedroom one I actually get to redoing it!

Danielle D.
    August 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I think I will give this a try today! Maybe i’ll dye a few of them to give it a little somethin’ somethin’. Great job Michelle!

Comeca Jones
    August 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Fabulous!!!!!

Anna
    August 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm

How great! Love how the project turned out and love the color of the lamp base!
    Hooray for LMM’s Momma!

ana {bluebirdkisses}
    August 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This looks amazing! I love the white and turqouise its really beautiful!

Maureen Polderman
    August 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love it! Actually, I think I’m more in love with the lamp base than the shade (is that ok to say out loud?!) Robin’s egg blue is one of my favorite colors…so bright and happy! Great job Momma’s!

Lindsay
    August 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love your guy’s style! SO CUTE! Your momma is so talented!

Whitney Ulrich
    August 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm

yes yes I think I am in love. Love the lamp, love the shade!!!! Come hop on over and link this up to my party. My readers would LOVE it.

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

cassie
    August 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It looks fabulous! I really love that color lamp! It’s beautiful!

Jamie
    August 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Well now I know where you get your awesomeness from. I love this new thing on your blog! This is an awesome lamp that I think I need to run out and make… like right now.

Aleyta
    August 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I JUST went to the store to find a lamp shade and none of them struck my fancy and they were sooooo expensive!!! This came at the perfect time! Thanks mama for helping a mama out! 😉

Lindsey S
    August 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm

So cute! I love the coffee filter projects. Think I’m gonna make decorations for my daughters birthday using them! Thanks for the sharpie tip, I’ll definitely be using it! Love how baby w helped with the photo shoot!

Marissa
    August 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm

This is so cute! And it looks SO much easier then my Pom Pom lamp shade, but has the same look! Now if only coffee filters came in cute girly colors!!! 🙂 XOXO!!

-Marissa
    Mommarake.com

Megan @ Meg's Craft Creations
    August 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Oh man oh man! I definitely have to make myself one of those beauties! Thanks for the sharpie tip! there is nothing worse than a nasty hot glue gun burn!!

Amanda
    August 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Very cute project!

Elle
    August 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this! I also wish that I had an awesome relationship with my mom like you do!

Kadie
    August 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm

That is down right adorable! I want one!

Kayla
    August 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm

This is precious! I absolutely love your blog!

Kristen
    August 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Are you going to make a few of these and sell them in your shop? I’m not so good with a glue gun but I LOVE THE LAMP SHADE & so would my girls. It’s great that you and your mom have teamed up in yet one part of life. What an incredible adventure!

danyiel Johnson
    August 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hi LMM’s Momma, can’t wait to see me more.

ashley LEMIEUX
    August 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm

okay, i need to make this asap!!!!

Jerilyn
    August 24, 2011 at 7:43 pm

That lamp shade (and the lamp itself) is just too cute! I totally love it! And I love that photo of you and your mom – your mom has such beautiful eyes!

Nelah
    August 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Your mama is so talented. The lamp shade makeover is so beautiful and romantic. LOVE it!! The sharpie tip is brilliant.

**Handmade Jewelry [email protected]**

ali s
    August 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm

yessssssss! i have an old lamp stored away, and i was just waiting for a great (and easy) tutorial to re-vamp it….got it! thanks bunches. looking forwards to lmm’s momma’s craft’s to come!
    -ali

Kristen Lloyd
    August 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm

LOVING the lamp, you sooo inspire me to create create create. Now if only I can find time with my little one…..he’s only 10 days old, so we’re still working out our kinks, and learning how to get things done! Thanks for the awesome share!!!

Shona
    August 24, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I love this so much……the lamp, the momma-raderie, the color, where it’s sitting in your house – it looks like it was made for that particular spot! Oh I love the idea of getting momma’s momma involved! From now on I think she should be referred to as momma squared! lol

rebecca
    August 25, 2011 at 12:23 am

,,,what a brilliant little project for me to do, surely i have an ugly lampshade just waiting to be ruffled up a bit!,,,thanks g-momma!,,,

Lv
    August 25, 2011 at 1:10 am

LOVE!!!! I am running to the thrift store first thing tomorrow to pick up some shades.
    I love a good coffee filter project =-D

Amanda M.
    August 25, 2011 at 1:19 am

OMG. I love this. My husband thinks it’s going to burn down our house, but I don’t care. It looks so awesome!

Kristen Duke Photography
    August 25, 2011 at 1:57 am

LOVE the step by step, LOVE the blue lamp, LOVE that you showed how to use the sharpie….don’t love over 300 filters…but I guess I could do it…;) Hi again Mamma Michelle!

p.s. did you spray that blue bowl, too?

Stephanie//Vintage Modern Bride
    August 25, 2011 at 2:11 am

i love baby w’s arm in the pic! too funny 🙂 thanks for the tutorial! i want to try it 🙂

Prettylittlecuppycakes
    August 25, 2011 at 2:43 am

Another amazing project! Very clever, love it!

Kristen
    August 25, 2011 at 3:40 am

Noticed a typo in my earlier comment. I meant to type “It’s great that you and your mom teamed up on yet ANOTHER part of life!”

Claire
    August 25, 2011 at 4:34 am

Really great! Love that you are getting your mom in on the blogging action:) Sooo jealous- my mom only just started using facebook, let alone trying to get her addicted to Pinterest like the rest of us:) Awesome, can’t wait to see more!

NotJustAnotherJennifer
    August 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm

So glad I found you on BlogHer this morning!! Love this!

Erin @ Brownie Bites
    August 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm

So cute! From a distance, you would never know that it is made from coffee filters. I would imagine if you use a thick enough lamp shade and cool bulbs, the fire hazard thing wouldn’t present too much of a problem. And hey, if you find yourself fresh out of filters one groggy morning.. badabing, badaboom! Mm, glue-flavored coffee!

K @ Aurora Blythe
    August 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

What an awesomely fab idea! So glad I am now a follower thanks to Andi’s link from Holly Rogue. =)

kathy h
    August 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Awww… aren’t moms the best?

May I ask where you purchase your Robin’s Egg Blue paint? Is it a spray paint?

Brandi
    August 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Loooove it! My 5 year old daughter just peeked over my shoulder as I was reading this and said – please, please make me one for my room! We are off to the store now to get the filters…we’re gonna have a mommy/daughter craft night tonight.

PS – I absolutely love your blog and am so happy I fell upon it a while back. I feel like we’re soul-sisters. 🙂 I, too, have a 2 year old boy (along with my 5 year old) and I feel like I’m reading my own life and thoughts when I read your blog. You’re the best and your boy is beautiful!

Nicole
    August 26, 2011 at 3:57 am

The lamp is gorgeous, and I love your living room! So glad I found your blog, bookmarking it now. Thanks for the tutorial!

Simple Saturday Tutorials
    August 28, 2011 at 5:38 am

[…] Coffee Filter Lampshade via Little Miss Momma […]

Kristin
    August 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That turned out super cute, and looks so great with the rest of your room!

ashley
    August 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm

LOVE IT! I went to our local thrift store yesterday and found me a cheap lamp, can’t wait to try this:) I love the way your living room turned out, so cute!

Kayla
    August 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm

That lampshade looks awesome! Very creative and fun! 🙂

I am a new follower, and I found you @ The Shine Project!

milan cook
    August 31, 2011 at 1:50 am

that is sooooo cute!

How to make a wreath out of coffee filters - Little Miss Momma
    September 5, 2011 at 4:54 am

[…] has been begging me to make her one of these for so long, and now she has one. You may remember the lampshade I made her a few days ago, well I had lots of coffee filters left over so I decided to make her a […]

Marian/pink princess
    September 5, 2011 at 7:07 am

LOVE both this shade and the wreath. To those that think it will burn they=ir house: NO it won’t. You just use a bulb, no open fire! And the bulb will not touch the coffeefilters lol. I would LOVE to make it, but I can never find coffeefilters like that unfortunately. Maybe one day 🙂

Jennifer O
    September 8, 2011 at 5:39 am

Soooo nice, and cheap too!!! LOL I really want to change the “style” or lack thereof……of my living room 🙂

Veronica Carpenter
    September 30, 2011 at 4:21 am

I was so inspired by this that I spray painted a lamp I already had a pretty light green (we’ll call it celery) and made the coffee filter shade. I LOVE it! AND it inspired a complete re-imagining of my living room….Now I am going to read your blog about how you use portraits around your house. Maybe I will be even further inspired. THANK YOU!!!!

DIY: Coffee Filter Lampe Shade |
    October 13, 2011 at 11:41 pm

[…] I did a slightly different variation after doing some research and found one that I liked better, here. So I thought to myself, “Hey, I can do […]

Coffee Filter Lamp Shade « creationsbynorma
    January 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm

[…] idea from the same blog where I got the tutorial for the Valentine wreath. You can see the tutorial here. I have had this lamp for awhile and it has been moving around the house. The latest home was on […]

DIY Lamp Shade Makeovers - Ideas to Make a Lamp Shade | Momcaster
    April 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm

[…] filters and make something beautiful from them, you have achieved crafting nirvana. Gotta be. Little Miss Momma gave this lamp an AMAZING makeover using coffee filters. I swear, I am in awe. PS: How much do you […]

Winnie
    May 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is awesome. They look like carnations! Thank you for sharing the directions. I am thinking I can use them in small amounts for my card making too.

Anita
    May 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I just finished one of these. It looks beautiful, but after 10 minutes with the light on the coffee filters started falling off. I think the heat is too much for hot glue.

Craft Chic Tuesdays: DIY Coffee Filter Lamp Shade « Casa Diseño LLC
    June 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

[…] craft that will transform ordinary lamp shades into “coffee chic” masterpieces. CLICK HERE to view the DIY Coffee Filter Lamp Shade project on Little Miss Momma Author: Michelle, mother of […]

Olivia
    July 18, 2012 at 4:34 am

Love this! Thanks for sharing! And BTW, where did you get the heart made of wing in your wall collage? I love it!

Jess @ The Colorful Ones
    July 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This looks totally fabulous! I love how it looks set against the aqua frame too… I also wonder if it’s fire-safe, and I wonder how it would hold up to dust over time (I hate lamp shades as it is, even the straight ones are like dust magnets!) – but it looks so fabulous that it’d be worth a shot… I might even shop around the thrift stores for a similar base, and not even put a bulb into it… just have the pretty fluffy white shade and the pop of aqua with no light bulb to heat it all up! 🙂

DIY Lamp Shade Makeovers - Ideas to Make a Lamp Shade
    March 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

jj
    March 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm

fire hazard

コーヒーフィルターなのに!おしゃれインテリアがすぐ作れるDIY
    May 9, 2013 at 2:30 am

[…] 出典www.littlemissmomma.com […]

DIY Lamp shade – Lámpabúra saját kezűleg | bluerdesign.hu
    June 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm

[…] Forrás […]

4pk KEYMATE BATTERY FOUR PK-STL72030
    June 27, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I love the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone
    .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful blog!

July 1, 2014 at 11:35 am

regalo bed rail video

beattheq.zendesk.com
    August 20, 2014 at 8:39 am

At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, after
    having my breakfast coming again to read more news.

cupsadirt.gamerdna.com