How To Make a Button Bib Necklace {step by step Tutorial}

How to Make a Button Bib Necklace
{with pearl and jewel embellishments}
As you can see, this is one of those tutorials where my button hoarding came in handy.
Before I began this project, I gathered my button collection–consisting of every extra button that ever came attached to my clothing purchases, all my grandma’s old/vintage buttons, and some extras from jewelry that I took apart because it was out of style.
So call up your momma, your grandma, your auntie or friend, and see if they have any fun old buttons or out of style jewelry that they don’t mind you destroying up-cycling.
Here is what you need to make your own button bib necklace:
Felt
buttons
pearls
jewels
20 inches of necklace chain
fabric scissors
sharpie marker
hot glue gun
Here is a close up of the buttons I selected for this piece.
First, lay out approximately 1 square foot of felt.
Use your sharpie to mark the main edges of your necklace.
I purposely did not make my necklace border perfectly uniform. First of all, I am not talented enough to freehand the shape–and secondly, I kinda prefer the whimsical off balance look.
After you mark the main edges, fill in the space with your buttons.  Just lay them in place for now so you can move them around until you get a design you like.
Once you have them all in place you can start to glue each button into place.
Be careful to not use too much glue, because hot glue shows up on black felt and the random glue gun strings will make it look ugly. Also, if some of your buttons have that little hoop on the back where the string should go, you can use a pair of strong scissors to cut it off so that the button will be flush against the felt.
Once you have glued all your buttons into place, cut out your necklace along the edge of the buttons.
Now take your pearls and glue them down in any gaps or large open spaces you see.
{with pearls added in}
Now, flip over your bib and lay out your 20 inch necklace chain.  You will be gluing down about one inch on each side–so your necklace will end up being 18 inches when you wear it {you can customize this to any length you want, just remember to account for the chain you are gluing down}.
Apply glue to the entire bib, with extra glue over the chain.
Then flip it over and set it on top of the second piece of felt.
Press it firmly into place, then cut out the excess felt along the edges of the bib.
And that’s it!
Happy Crafting!
I will be linking this project up to a handful of these fabulous link parties!
__________________________________________
This post brought to you by,
the BEST smelling awesomeness on earth–I would know!
Photobucket
Ashley Stock
I'm Ashley. Sometimes I craft, occasionally I cook, everyday I write, and I'm always Momma. This is my blog. I keep it real while still seeing the rainbows and butterflies in all of life's lessons.
Ashley Stock
Ashley Stock
Ashley Stock

Latest posts by Ashley Stock (see all)

Ashley Stock

Comments

1. I am going to make one of these right now, I was just thinking I needed to try making some necklaces but was always intimidated by the tutorials. Thanks for this FABULOUS and adorable idea!
    Michelle

2. This is so cute! What a great idea! I have loads of buttons from my Grandma, cant wait to try this. Thanks for all your crafty tutorials!

3. This is a really cute idea, because I too have one of those collections/ hoards of old buttons! :)

4. Stephanie (Luxe Boulevard) says:

I so heart this! Can I share it on Luxe Boulevard?

5. Girl of The Grove says:

You put some blonde back in your hair…you didn't like being brunette? Looks good either way! : )

6. Audrey Crisp says:

Amazing! Thanks! Love it!

7. Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

So so so cute! Wanna make me one?

8. Mama Jill says:

GENIUS! Absolutely L.O.V.E. it!

9. Jayna Rae says:

Very cute! I just saw something similar at Anthropologie. The only difference is they added netting/tulle over the pearls.

10. so great!I cannot wait to raid my mom's stash of vintage buttons, I think I'm also make a mini version for my 3 yr old daughter and wear them to church tomorrow!Thanks for all of the great ideas!

11. Hi just stopping in to say that we just love your blog & nominated you for the Stylish blogger Award!
    Guidelines for accepting (if you choose to) as well as the button can be found at http://adamstrinity.blogspot.com/2011/02/our-first-award.html
    ~Reba http://www.adamstrinity.blogspot.com

12. Stunning- says:

I probably say this about every other time I'm here – but you are super cute!

Also – you've inspired me to put out my very second ever craft tutorial…

13. Hi I'm Laura! says:

SO cute! I love it!! And for those of us who aren't good at collecting buttons (me) I have a bag of buttons that I bought from Hobby Lobby a while back…think it's called "Grandma's grab bag" in the scrap booking area for about 5 bucks! This would be perfect for it!

Going to try this out! Thanks Ashley!

14. Mindie Hilton says:

I love this, I am so going to try it. I keep all of my extra buttons in a box and never use them. I just made a button and rose necklace I would love for you to check it out, since I admire your work. Here is the link. Ps, would love to stand in line to get a feature on your blog. I have been telling all my new blogger friends like myself about your amazing site and shop.

15. oh my goodness – this is amazing!!! i can't wait to make it, have so many antique buttons just sitting around, waiting for a project like this to arise.

love it.
    xox
    grace
    stripesandsequins.com

ps – check out my diy from the weekend – a dannijo inspired gold & silver chain necklace.

16. That necklace is the CUTEST! I am now searching my house for buttons! :)

~Lauren
    tickledonline.blogspot.com

17. The Beading Gem says:

You have a wonderful button collection. I loved how you put them all to good use! I will link in a future blog post so others can come visit! Pearl

18. Hi Ashley. I just joined your blog! You are so cute :) I love your crafting ideas, you are so creative! Hope we become friends :)

19. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Oh, It looks SO CUTE!! I love it!!

20. Deals, Steals and Heels says:

beautiful, just beautiful!! i have gotta find me some awesome buttons.

21. i love it – i think with the right additional pieces it's color magic.

22. Great project, it looks fantastic!

23. anna p of just me. says:

super cute!
    and great blog. :)

24. Mindie Hilton says:

I made a necklace too. I also shared you and your blog on my post. Hope you will check it out.

Thanks again for the great idea.

25. Mindie Hilton says:

I made another one, this could get addicting. Must walk away from the buttons lol. Hope you will check it out. I added some ribbon to the edges.

26. Brittany@Love Stitched says:

Featured today :) Happy Birthday by the way :) xoxo

27. So creative. My grandmother used to have jars full of buttons. They would have been perfect.

28. PressedDownShakenTogether says:

I knew I was saving all these buttons for a reason! Guess who is wearing one of these to work next week?! Thanks for sharing!

Keri @ Pressed Down Shaken Together
    shakentogether.blogspot.com

29. You're so cute it kills me… love it!

30. southernscraps says:

This is fabulous! Love your button choices.

31. M* {Daydream Believers} says:

Such a great necklace. {btw #11 on TT&J…whoo!} ;) Great job Momma!

32. Anniversary gift ideas says:

Very cool idea with buttons.Buttons always make me think up creative ideas…I am also a collector of the same.This is a marvelous idea and design indeed.

33. DELY RAZA says:

MUY BONITO, FELICITACIONES DESDE PERU

34. This is precious! They are so expensive in the stores, but this is the cutest one I have seen! I can't wait to try to make one :)

35. What a cute pattern! bib necklaces are so popular right now and I understand why. Yours came out adorable. I have so many bib necklaces on my site right now (allfreebeadedjewelry) and they always come out looking super cute.

36. i found this tutorial via pinterest looks really easy and fun to make :) might just be giving some to my sisters as Christmas presents :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] am excited to use the template to make some other bib necklaces. Maybe a pom pom one, a button one, or a lace embellished one. If you use this template for a necklace, I would love to see how [...]

2. [...] How to Make a Button Bib Necklace {step by step Tutorial} Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

3. [...] Watch, Target 2. Button Necklace tutorial here 3. Lace Flower Bib Necklace tutorial [...]

4. [...] 29, 2012This button bib necklace would make a beautiful Christmas gift.  Find the directions at Little Miss Momma.Do you have a beautiful homemade Christmas gift idea? Submit it here and be featured on The Happy [...]

5. [...] right?), find a piece of felt and heat up your glue guns ladies, because this bib necklace from Little Miss Momma is brilliant and simple and so fun! I love how you can finally use those interesting and unique [...]

6. [...] blogland and in stores.  Recently, Little Miss Momma made a very cute one with buttons…see, it’s cute. Her directions are very straight forward so I won’t bore you with the wordy [...]