craft

How To Make a Button Bib Necklace {step by step Tutorial}

How to Make a Button Bib Necklace
{with pearl and jewel embellishments}
As you can see, this is one of those tutorials where my button hoarding came in handy.
Before I began this project, I gathered my button collection–consisting of every extra button that ever came attached to my clothing purchases, all my grandma’s old/vintage buttons, and some extras from jewelry that I took apart because it was out of style.
So call up your momma, your grandma, your auntie or friend, and see if they have any fun old buttons or out of style jewelry that they don’t mind you destroying up-cycling.
Here is what you need to make your own button bib necklace:
Felt
buttons
pearls
jewels
20 inches of necklace chain
fabric scissors
sharpie marker
hot glue gun
Here is a close up of the buttons I selected for this piece.
First, lay out approximately 1 square foot of felt.
Use your sharpie to mark the main edges of your necklace.
I purposely did not make my necklace border perfectly uniform. First of all, I am not talented enough to freehand the shape–and secondly, I kinda prefer the whimsical off balance look.
After you mark the main edges, fill in the space with your buttons.ย  Just lay them in place for now so you can move them around until you get a design you like.
Once you have them all in place you can start to glue each button into place.
Be careful to not use too much glue, because hot glue shows up on black felt andย the random glue gun strings will make it look ugly. Also, if some of your buttons have that little hoop on the back where the string should go, you can use a pair of strong scissors to cut it off so that the button will be flush against the felt.
Once you have glued all your buttons into place, cut out your necklace along the edge of the buttons.
Now take your pearls and glue them down in any gaps or large open spaces you see.
{with pearls added in}
Now, flip over your bib and lay out your 20 inch necklace chain.ย  You will be gluing down about one inch on each side–so your necklace will end up being 18 inches when you wear it {you can customize this to any length you want, just remember to account for the chain you are gluing down}.
Apply glue to the entire bib, with extra glue over the chain.
Then flip it over and set it on top of the second piece of felt.
Press it firmly into place, then cut out the excess felt along the edges of the bib.
And that’s it!
Happy Crafting!
I will be linking this project up to a handful of these fabulous link parties!
__________________________________________
This post brought to you by,
the BEST smelling awesomeness on earth–I would know!
Photobucket

Michelle
    February 6, 2011 at 12:00 am

I am going to make one of these right now, I was just thinking I needed to try making some necklaces but was always intimidated by the tutorials. Thanks for this FABULOUS and adorable idea!
    Michelle

Eve
    February 6, 2011 at 12:02 am

This is so cute! What a great idea! I have loads of buttons from my Grandma, cant wait to try this. Thanks for all your crafty tutorials!

Bethany
    February 6, 2011 at 12:24 am

This is a really cute idea, because I too have one of those collections/ hoards of old buttons! ๐Ÿ™‚

Stephanie (Luxe Boulevard)
    February 6, 2011 at 12:44 am

I so heart this! Can I share it on Luxe Boulevard?

Girl of The Grove
    February 6, 2011 at 1:26 am

You put some blonde back in your hair…you didn't like being brunette? Looks good either way! : )

Audrey Crisp
    February 6, 2011 at 1:29 am

Amazing! Thanks! Love it!

Nina @ Momma Go Round
    February 6, 2011 at 1:46 am

So so so cute! Wanna make me one?

Mama Jill
    February 6, 2011 at 2:45 am

GENIUS! Absolutely L.O.V.E. it!

Jayna Rae
    February 6, 2011 at 3:29 am

Very cute! I just saw something similar at Anthropologie. The only difference is they added netting/tulle over the pearls.

Melissa
    February 6, 2011 at 3:40 am

so great!I cannot wait to raid my mom's stash of vintage buttons, I think I'm also make a mini version for my 3 yr old daughter and wear them to church tomorrow!Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Reba
    February 6, 2011 at 4:05 am

Hi just stopping in to say that we just love your blog & nominated you for the Stylish blogger Award!
    Guidelines for accepting (if you choose to) as well as the button can be found at http://adamstrinity.blogspot.com/2011/02/our-first-award.html
    ~Reba http://www.adamstrinity.blogspot.com

Stunning-
    February 6, 2011 at 5:17 am

I probably say this about every other time I'm here – but you are super cute!

Also – you've inspired me to put out my very second ever craft tutorial…

Hi I'm Laura!
    February 6, 2011 at 5:29 am

SO cute! I love it!! And for those of us who aren't good at collecting buttons (me) I have a bag of buttons that I bought from Hobby Lobby a while back…think it's called "Grandma's grab bag" in the scrap booking area for about 5 bucks! This would be perfect for it!

Going to try this out! Thanks Ashley!

Mindie Hilton
    February 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I love this, I am so going to try it. I keep all of my extra buttons in a box and never use them. I just made a button and rose necklace I would love for you to check it out, since I admire your work. Here is the link. Ps, would love to stand in line to get a feature on your blog. I have been telling all my new blogger friends like myself about your amazing site and shop.

Grace
    February 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm

oh my goodness – this is amazing!!! i can't wait to make it, have so many antique buttons just sitting around, waiting for a project like this to arise.

love it.
    xox
    grace
    stripesandsequins.com

ps – check out my diy from the weekend – a dannijo inspired gold & silver chain necklace.

tickled.
    February 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

That necklace is the CUTEST! I am now searching my house for buttons! ๐Ÿ™‚

~Lauren
    tickledonline.blogspot.com

The Beading Gem
    February 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You have a wonderful button collection. I loved how you put them all to good use! I will link in a future blog post so others can come visit! Pearl

Nadia
    February 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi Ashley. I just joined your blog! You are so cute ๐Ÿ™‚ I love your crafting ideas, you are so creative! Hope we become friends ๐Ÿ™‚

PeaceLoveApplesauce
    February 7, 2011 at 3:40 am

Oh, It looks SO CUTE!! I love it!!

Deals, Steals and Heels
    February 7, 2011 at 4:42 am

beautiful, just beautiful!! i have gotta find me some awesome buttons.

Jamie M.
    February 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

i love it – i think with the right additional pieces it's color magic.

Miranda
    February 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Great project, it looks fantastic!

anna p of just me.
    February 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm

super cute!
    and great blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mindie Hilton
    February 8, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I made a necklace too. I also shared you and your blog on my post. Hope you will check it out.

Thanks again for the great idea.

Mindie Hilton
    February 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I made another one, this could get addicting. Must walk away from the buttons lol. Hope you will check it out. I added some ribbon to the edges.

[email protected] Stitched
    February 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Featured today ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Birthday by the way ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo

jandjhome
    February 19, 2011 at 12:58 am

So creative. My grandmother used to have jars full of buttons. They would have been perfect.

PressedDownShakenTogether
    February 19, 2011 at 1:25 am

I knew I was saving all these buttons for a reason! Guess who is wearing one of these to work next week?! Thanks for sharing!

Keri @ Pressed Down Shaken Together
    shakentogether.blogspot.com

Lei
    February 19, 2011 at 1:26 am

You're so cute it kills me… love it!

southernscraps
    February 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

This is fabulous! Love your button choices.

M* {Daydream Believers}
    February 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Such a great necklace. {btw #11 on TT&J…whoo!} ๐Ÿ˜‰ Great job Momma!

Anniversary gift ideas
    February 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Very cool idea with buttons.Buttons always make me think up creative ideas…I am also a collector of the same.This is a marvelous idea and design indeed.

DELY RAZA
    April 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

MUY BONITO, FELICITACIONES DESDE PERU

tracy
    April 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm

This is precious! They are so expensive in the stores, but this is the cutest one I have seen! I can't wait to try to make one ๐Ÿ™‚

Maggie
    May 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

What a cute pattern! bib necklaces are so popular right now and I understand why. Yours came out adorable. I have so many bib necklaces on my site right now (allfreebeadedjewelry) and they always come out looking super cute.

Em
    October 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

i found this tutorial via pinterest looks really easy and fun to make ๐Ÿ™‚ might just be giving some to my sisters as Christmas presents ๐Ÿ™‚

How to make a jewel bib necklace and free template download: little miss momma - Little Miss Momma
    October 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm

[…] am excited to use the template to make some other bib necklaces. Maybe a pom pom one, a button one, or a lace embellished one. If you use this template for a necklace, I would love to see how […]

Bib o’ Buttons « T. Rex at Home
    March 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm

[…] How to Make a Button Bib Necklace {step by step Tutorial} Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]

I SPY: Shoes and Jewelry Edition - style - Little Miss Momma
    September 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

[…] Watch, Target 2. Button Necklace tutorial here 3. Lace Flower Bib Necklace tutorial […]

Button Bib Necklace: Homemade Christmas Gifts
    October 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

[…] 29, 2012This button bib necklace would make a beautiful Christmas gift. ย Find the directions at Little Miss Momma.Do you have a beautiful homemade Christmas gift idea? Submit itย hereย and be featured on The Happy […]

Make a Button Bib Necklace | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids
    December 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

[…] right?), find a piece of felt and heat up your glue guns ladies, because this bib necklace from Little Miss Momma is brilliant and simple and so fun! I love how you can finally use those interesting and unique […]

Craft Fail…and Success topic | book for all world
    July 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm

[…] blogland and in stores.  Recently, Little Miss Momma made a very cute one with buttons…see, it’s cute. Her directions are very straight forward so I won’t bore you with the wordy […]