style

What I Wore {and an anecdote on marriage}

Here’s what I’ve learned.
When I write a post about what I wore,
then I care a bit more about how I look.
And the hubby deserves for me to put a little bit of effort
into my appearance these days, ya know.
So you may see a bit more of me testing out belts,
high heels, layers and color in the posts to come–for the hubby’s sake, of course.
*Oh yeah, I’ve also learned that its okay to wear black & white in the Spring, so long as you stand next to a blooming fruit tree.
{Jeans: Down East Basic in store, Shirt: Old Navy, Black Top: Michael Kors at Loemans, Belt: Forever 21, Shoes: Bakers}
Sometimes I just need to be sad.
To be frustrated, to sulk, to hurt and be mopey.
And then I need someone to take it out on.
Someone who loves me,
who will understand that I’m lashing out irrationally,
and who will still love me once the storm has passed.
While it has never been said out loud,
the hubs has assumed this role–and he plays it well.
He’s learned to stop providing solutions,
to keep the eye rolling to a minimum,
and to bite his tongue from uttering the words,
I told you there was nothing to worry about.
He silently becomes more helpful around the house,
takes it upon himself to make our dinner plans,
and often tries to act silly in an attempt to make me smile.
And despite his best efforts,
when I’m feeling mopey
I never let him see me smile.
But he knows.
He knows that even though I pretend he is the last thing I find amusing,
I’m smiling on the inside.
Because I’m grateful that he is by my side
on my best and worst days;
and even on those days when
 we do have something to worry about.
And on those worst days,
the days when unexpected news
has the potential to change life as you know it,
I’ve learned that each of us handles stress differently.
One of us acts as if we have just received the
worst case scenario,
while the other pretends that nothing has changed.
And while we may not grieve or stress in the same way,
we know,
that on the inside we both worry the same amount
and we have the same hope
because we share the same love.

Erin
    March 26, 2011 at 4:08 am

If I only had the fashion sense!!

You look great!!

ilene @ muchloveilly
    March 26, 2011 at 4:14 am

you look uh-mazing as always, girl!!! i also loved your writing – super inspiring. thanks for sharing!

btw have i ever mentioned that i really, really want to hang out with you one day! oh, i did? okay. then that's all 😉

ilene @ muchloveilly
    March 26, 2011 at 4:14 am

Jayna Rae
    March 26, 2011 at 4:20 am

I think that black and white are always appropriate. I love them because you can add a punch of any color via shoes, belt, or any other accessory. Looking cute. Love the info on how you and the hubs communicate.

Chrissy @ Boerman Ramblings
    March 26, 2011 at 4:21 am

love the outfit Ashley.
    thanks for sharing today.
    I hope everything is okay for you right now.
    you are amazing…keep up the great work!

Candace Boice
    March 26, 2011 at 4:29 am

Love your outfit! And what a sweet post about you and your hubby! Thanks for sharing with us 🙂

Emma's Momma
    March 26, 2011 at 4:30 am

I love this look!! can i just say u have one super inspiring blog… thanks!

Erin
    March 26, 2011 at 4:36 am

Very sweet post! Husbands are truly the best! You always look adorable, I'd love to play dress up in your closet 🙂

LBMM
    March 26, 2011 at 4:38 am

I don't mean to hijack your story or anything, buy I really needed to hear that today. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. Thank you thank you thank you! You have no idea what it did for me!

McKenzie
    March 26, 2011 at 4:53 am

You have GOT to be the cutest momma ever! I love this outfit and I only dream of being this cute someday!

Nina @ Momma Go Round
    March 26, 2011 at 5:10 am

I LOVE YOU!!!! And you are barfiliciously cute in that outfit, but I love you in sweats too.

Jazmin @ Happily Ever After
    March 26, 2011 at 5:48 am

LOVE this post. You are blessed with an awesome man. The words you use to describe him remind me of my own Hus. :o) I might just have to borrow your poem to share. ♥

Tara
    March 26, 2011 at 5:51 am

I totally feel the same way about the mopey-ness and boyfriend does exactly the same for me. I love this paragraph…
    "He's learned to stop providing solutions,
    to keep the eye rolling to a minimum,
    and to bite his tongue from uttering the words,
    I told you there was nothing to worry about."

Totally feel it.
    Thanks for saying it.

Leslie
    March 26, 2011 at 6:43 am

Husbands definitely rock! They learn how to adjust to how you act and seem to know the right thing to say.

Love your outfit! Your right, add a fruit tree in the back and it looks springing =)

Jessi J.
    March 26, 2011 at 6:45 am

Are you saying what I think your saying??? if so congradulations!

Mission: Life, Objective: Live.
    March 26, 2011 at 7:00 am

This is EXACTLY why I read your blog religiously. No matter where I am. Because I can relate to you on so many levels its not even funny. I've been having a really bad day today and this is EXACTLY what I needed. You are like the friend that always has something to say to make you feel better and I've been needing a lot of those lately. I love love love your blog! And will never stop reading. Ever.

Justine
    March 26, 2011 at 7:48 am

What a sweetie!

Just Better Together
    come check out the prom shoe giveaway!

Bec @ eleventhirtyish
    March 26, 2011 at 8:02 am

love, love, love and want, want, want!
    sending love your way, hope all's ok?
    xx

Tahnie
    March 26, 2011 at 8:23 am

I really hope everything is okay Ashley! Funny, it must be something in the air because I was mopey tonight too. I feel silly asking this because it is so trivial, but I know you are horizontally challenged like me (smiles), do you have all of your jeans hemmed or do you just buy petite lengths? I ALWAYS have trouble finding jeans short enough.

Big hugs to you girl.
    xoxo.

Christine
    March 26, 2011 at 8:24 am

You're way too cute…not only in your outfit but also in your love for your husband!

LilBuckarooDesigns
    March 26, 2011 at 9:53 am

Okay-this look is ADORABLE!!! I LOVE how good you are with layering!! The shirt under the jacket sleeves is killing me-I LOVE it!! Way, way cute!! I am slowly trying to build up my fashion courage so keep the inspiration coming!! So cute!!

Mommyblogger
    March 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

It is okay to wear black & white anytime. It's my favorite color combination. You look stunning in this outfit. I love everything about it 🙂

Tiffany
    March 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

That's really sweet! And what makes a great marriage!

I've realized the same thing (that posting outfits helps me to care about how I look)! lol You look great! I love that belted white top with the blazer. You're so cute!!

Kimminita
    March 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

I loe it that you mention the shoes. Do not see them in the pictures due to your cute jeans ^_^

A Babbling Brunette
    March 26, 2011 at 11:53 am

I absolutely love this post. It is so true about marriage. You put words together so well. I just love your blog!

Resourceful Red
    March 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm

you look so cute!!

I am a new follower (from just.lovely.things) and I hope maybe you'll check out my blog in return 🙂

Jodi
    March 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I think you always look cute! I love the belt.

I love Wednesdays and Mondays, I really need some fashion help, so I am always at the Pleated Poppy on Wednesdays.

Jodi

Kimi Schmitz
    March 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Ashley, I'm new to your blog, I can tell YOU how delighted I am already with what you're sharing… the outfit is adorable, black & white is classic, great belt and I think men & woman LOVE when we show our style. You're words about your husband are so sweet and ring true to me. Looking forward to you're future post. Sincerely, Kimi

Rissy
    March 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm

First I have to say… you don't look like you were ever pregnant! You have a super cute LITTLE body!

I loved this post, because I think we have all gone through that "don't try to solve it! just listen" thing with a man in our life. You wrote it out quite beautifully : )

CarissaExplainsItAll

Delia
    March 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm

You put into words how I feel about my husband perfectly! 🙂 It is so nice to have a best friend who is also your husband.

You look really cute to boot!

live.laugh.photograph
    March 26, 2011 at 3:29 pm

what a super cute outfit! very inspiring words too. i love your blog!!!!

Marianne
    March 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Cute outfit.

Karri
    March 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

So true. So true. All of it. And you look so cute 🙂

Stephanie
    March 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

It's funny, I admire your style, and when I go shopping, I say what would LMM buy? I rarely ever look as cute as you do, but I want to. I always think, if I wear this cute outfit, then I'm going to freeze at work. I want to let you know that I look forward to your posts…kinda feel like a loser saying this. It's like you're somebody I look up to. If you can do it, then why can't I? Then again maybe it's because I'm a single mom and feel that I can't support my daughter and myself if I go out for my dream. Thanks for everything you do!

Autumn
    March 26, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I love your darker hair and can't wait until Devin and I live somewhere where we can have fruit trees.

I love your description of your husband, it reminds me of the things I love about my husband 🙂

Comeca Jones
    March 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Sooo sweet! Loving the big buttons on the jacket. Waaay cute!

Lauren
    March 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Just found your blog and I LOVE IT! I am your newest follower!

You seem so real and remind me of well, ME! Feel free to drop by at some point!
    Lauren

Paint by Josie
    March 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Love your site! I'm just getting started with my own blog. I'm a mom of three great kids that are getting old enough now that they don't need my attention every second! Lol! Now I'm finding time to do a little of what I enjoy! Looking forward to following your blog!

hotpants™
    March 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I could wear black, white and grey every day. It never gets old. You are beautiful. Love these! 🙂

melis
    March 27, 2011 at 1:46 am

such a cute outfit!!

james
    March 27, 2011 at 2:54 am

i just wanted to thank you for posting this about your marriage. i have only been married a year and a half and this ties in perfect with how things are for us.

love the outfit too

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane
    March 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This is my favorite look right now, the thick belt over a buttonup, under a jacket. I love it. And you rock it. You have to know how beautiful you are!

Sharde
    March 28, 2011 at 2:35 am

i totally understand everything you just wrote, fashion aside- like 100% understand. my man is the same. we just got in an argument last night while he's 2,000 miles away, but it was both of us out of frustration of just missing each other. totally get it.

PeaceLoveApplesauce
    March 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Love the back jacket, so cute!!
    Hope all is well with you and yours!!

My House of L
    March 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

LOVE this look! I must go dig thru my closet to see what I've got….Have a great Wednesday!

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama
    March 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm

love the outfit,, super cute. And you kinda look like Meridith from Greys Anatomy in one of those pics,, I think she's pretty so thats a compliment,,lol. Thanks for sharing.

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot!
    March 30, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Sweet post! & Yes…the blooming fruit tree totally captures the spring moment…I love it!

Sherri @ Design2Shine
    March 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm

awesome black top. great look and bright beautiful smile!