Stencil Canvas Tutorial

Stencil Canvas Tutorial
It’s time for another easy-peasy tutorial from this Little Miss Momma.
Just pick your own colors, stencil and canvas size for a customized look to go in your home.  This is a VERY quick and cheap way to add some color and art to your bare walls.
Here are the {SUPPLIES} you will need:
Canvas (I used a 18 x 24 canvas on sale for $6 at Michaels)
Stencil of your choice (available at Michaels)
Acrylic Craft Paint in the color(s) of your choice
Stencil Paint (found in the stencil section at Michaels)
Paint Brush
Scotch Tape
Step {One}:
Paint your entire canvas the color of your choice.  I mixed two colors of green (leaf green, citron) in order to get the more textured color of green that I was looking for.  Allow the canvas to dry completely before proceeding to step two.
Step {Two}:
Place the stencil over the painted canvas in the area that you want the first row of the graphic to appear.  Tape the stencil into place so that it doesn’t shift when you start to paint.  Now, apply a VERY small amount of stencil paint to the tip of your brush. With stencil paint, a little goes a long way.  I highly recommend using stencil paint, otherwise you increase the chance that your paint will smear/run.   Paint over the entire stencil with the stencil paint.
Lift the stencil slightly as you go to be sure that you are filling all the areas completely.
Step {Three}:
Once you finish painting in the first row of your stencil, lift up the stencil and line it up again directly above your first row, and then repeat step two for this second row of grpahic.
When you finish the second row you may notice some extra space on your canvas where there isn’t enough room for another entire row of stencil/graphic. I chose to paint in another row of stencil going over the edge (see picture below).  I liked the look of the graphic going over the edge, but that is completely up to your preference.
And Wall-ah!!
In 3 EASY steps you now have an awesome piece of canvas wall art.

I think this project works amazingly when you use multiple canvases {i.e. 3 square or rectangle canvases} and continue the graphic onto the other canvases so that you have one large piece of art.
Happy Crafting!

**Check back tomorrow for ANOTHER tutorial. This one will tell you what to do with your extra buttons and old frames (and its not what you think)…**

giveaways

Show and Tell Green

Ashley Stock
I'm Ashley. Sometimes I craft, occasionally I cook, everyday I write, and I'm always Momma. This is my blog. I keep it real while still seeing the rainbows and butterflies in all of life's lessons.
Ashley Stock
Ashley Stock
Ashley Stock

Latest posts by Ashley Stock (see all)

Ashley Stock

Comments

1. OOOOO that's great, I love how it turned out!

2. Happy Together says:

It's really cute! I love the new look of everything :)

3. Joy@thriftyparsonageliving says:

Very Cute! What a great idea :)

4. That's such a great idea! I'm thinking different size canvas' with coordinating colors and stencils to cover the big blank wall behind my couch!!! Thanx : )

5. senioritis says:

great how to ashley, cool idea and very economical. we've quickly strolled through the stencil section at michael's many times, now that we see this project though we might have to take a closer look at what's floating around there ;)

6. Anonymous says:

Love your blog. Love your tutorials. Love your NOW THAT'S MOTHERHOOD. Love your cute little baby, Wesley. I've got to print that picture with the blanket on his head for my desk. Love you soooooooo much. Auntie Debbie

7. Andy Porter says:

What a fantastic idea!! I'll have to do something like that for my bedroom. I can't stand paying hundreds for artwork! Love it!

8. Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something says:

absolutely delightful! The colors are just yummy! …plus a well done tutorial!

9. Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue says:

This is terribly cute! Lovely colors as well.

10. Maria and Michelle says:

Ahhh! Love it!!! So simple, yet so dramatic!

~ Michelle @ FTSN

11. [email protected] says:

I love this idea – great for my young girls!! I think we'll be making some art for their rooms over Easter break.

12. Ashley,
    LOVE it! So pretty. Great color of green too. Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous party! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
    Linda

13. LoVe it!! Thanks for sharing!

14. luluvillage says:

Very cool, seems easy enough- "seems" being the key word, lol- that I might try it,
    thanks so much for the tutorial!

15. Ashley O says:

I love the green and white together! Looks very crisp & fresh! Reminds me of a green apple. :)

16. Ebannie says:

I love it! Thank you for sharing!

17. Natalie Catherine says:

wow i love your blog even more now…that is the stencil i used over my fireplace… and i made up some artwork just like this but different colors! we would totally be real life friends. haha.

18. Saw you on Ucreate.

I love this tutorial and will save it for when I redo my daughter's room. :)

19. i had the same exact stencil and used almost the same exact green on a pair of white curtains! lol

20. thanks, very pretty

21. all started years ago when our co-founders started asking some honest questions: Why should women have to endure the emotional and financial sacrifices that accompany the endless search for the “right” accessory for every event, wedding, and dinner party?

22. Its toooo big.. But is very very pretty :) awesome!!! Excelente calidad.

23. I absolutely love this idea and I am going to try it myself! Thanks for the inspiration. For more ways to use stencils, see my page at Squidoo:

24. Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting
    to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trackbacks

1. [...] 20% OFF code: LMM20 Her shop is full of super rad stencils perfect for DIY art projects like my canvas wall art project or on pillows: {stencil} {stencil} Stella & Dot Brand NEW markdowns [...]

2. [...] from a serious case of jet lag. So this afternoon I pulled out my new trusty alphabet stencils {you know how I love stencils} and got to work on this tutorial: Here is what you will need: 3 wooden scraps [...]