grow

Our Peacemaker

Puff Quilt c/o HoneyBear Lane

Dear Sawyer,

It turns out I’ve been telling people that you’re 10 weeks old for a little over a month now. I think that’s called denial. Because after doing the math, it turns out you’re actually 3 months old already. In fact, 3 months and 1 week—and quite honestly, I have no idea where the time has gone. Sniff. Sniff.

Kiddo, there aren’t even words to explain just how much I love you.

Before I was pregnant, I prayed for you.
Then, when the ultrasound revealed your strong little heartbeat,
I prayed that your birth would provide the balance our little family needed.

Now, here you are…
Only three months old, and you’ve already exceeded all my hopes.
I know with every ounce of my heart that your sweet spirit has been an answer to our prayers.

Your smile and your calm disposition have brought peace to our home.
Your perfectly timed dimpled smile and positive attitude have succeeded in softening the heart of a once skeptical big brother.

Speaking of your brother, you and Wesley couldn’t be more different.
But already, when I see you two look at one another, I can tell that you will share a bond that will only be strengthened by your differences.

He loves you—your big brother.
Even when he gets jealous, he loves you.
Even when he wants Mommy’s attention all to himself, he loves you.
Even when he doesn’t want to share his blankie, he loves you.

And there’s nothing in the world that makes me more proud than when I watch the smile cross his face when he eagerly rushes to your bedside every morning to tell you good morning. Or when you’re crying in your bassinet, and he tells you: It’s okay Sawyer, Mommy will get you. Or when he insists on putting your binkie in your mouth after it falls out. And his hugs—oh his hugs! Wesley would hug you 24 hours a day if we would allow it.

Not only are you his companion,
his friend,
his future playmate
and rough housing partner in crime…
But even as his younger brother,
you are an example to him.
You are his balance.
You are MY balance.
You are the first sweet sound I wake to every morning.
You are the answer to our prayers.
You are the Peacemaker of our sweet little family.
And there isn’t a second that goes by that your Daddy and I don’t realize just how blessed we are that you chose us to be your forever family.

Love, Momma

****************

Sawyers beyond adorable Puff Quilt was a sweet gift to me from my friend Heidi of Honeybear Lane. It is literally the softest, and cushiest quilt ever—Sawyer loves to take little cat naps on it. And YES, she sells these quilts too–in pretty much any fabric you can come up with! She even sells the Puff Quilt patterns, so you can make one for yourself (or farm it out to a sewing friend)!

Anna
    October 18, 2012 at 7:11 am

The second baby is often the making of the first. Suddenly you see the fruition of all the qualities you’ve been teaching through their years as an only child. My heart melts a little every time I hear Aaron say “Rosa’s my best friend!”… i cant believe i worried so much through pregnancy if a second baby would upset the balance! 🙂 God bless your little family x

Kelli G.
    October 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Your boys are, by far, the cutest I’ve ever seen. They look so happy! Congrats on your beautiful little family. 🙂

Misty S.
    October 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love Sawyer’s sleeper!! Anyone know the brand?

LIndsey
    October 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Love the pictures, love the quilt, love the letter to Sawyer!! I just love everything about this post.. and most everything you post. Your blog is such a good combination of adorable and honest. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story!

Jessica
    October 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

You’ve inspired me! This quilt is adorable. My youngest daughter is 20 weeks and I need to make her one before she doesn’t want to lay on the floor any more! I’m in denial about her too. I keep cramming her into 3 mo clothes because I don’t want to admit she’s growing up so fast!

[email protected] Happened
    October 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

such cuties! and I adore that quilt too!

Mindy
    October 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Love these pictures of your sweet boys.

[email protected]
    October 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

oh those smile just melted my heart…this was JUST what i needed today. to see these two sweet boys I love so much so happy 🙂 xo

School Sparks Renee
    October 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Ashley – both boys are absolutely beautiful. My grandson was also very skeptical about his soon-to-be baby brother, and was even pretty aggressive after the baby was born. I worried a little when I was at my son’s helping out. Fast forward two years and these two little boys are best buddies! Ethan loves his little brother so much and the feeling is mutual. It is so heartwarming to see. Thanks for sharing all of your feelings and thoughts. I love reading your blog. Best wishes, Renee

Charlene
    October 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Wow he is absolutely adorable! And your boys look SO much alike! Glad your little family is doing so well. I WANT one of those quilts realllly badly! Our baby is due in 3 weeks 🙂

-www.becomingthebarrs.com

Jacqui of Baby Boy Bakery
    October 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Holy WOW! These pictures are priceless! Love your little dudes!

And can we please take note that you and your man make BEAUTIFUL babies!!

Laura
    October 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That is the CUTEST quilt…

and oh, Sawyer is adorbs, too. 😉

debbie Mollner
    October 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm

THESE ARE MY CUTE NEPHEWS AND I AM SO PROUD!!! LOVE YOU ALL, BUBBIE

Monkey
    October 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I have the cutest Grandsons ever! Sawyer really is the perfect little brother.

Rachel
    October 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm

So stinkin cute! Oh and thanks for making me tear up with this beautiful post. LOVES! Rach

Audrey Crisp
    October 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

So sweet. I’m glad he brings such a sweet spirit to your home! Cutest boys ever!

Shirley
    October 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm

There is no words to how precious your two young men are. I love to see them smile and the deep dimples. Your heart must be so big when you look at them each day. I love your blog, keep up the this wonderful blog.

Mackenzie
    October 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

They are SO sweet! Those dimples….you have the cutest little boys! I bet your momma heart is so full of love for them 🙂

Katy
    October 19, 2012 at 4:09 am

I love the pictures of your boys! So cute! And those dimples…I love dimples. Especially on a baby. Great post. The love you have for your children shines through!

Angela
    October 19, 2012 at 5:30 am

Hola hola!! Im from Colombia so please forgive my really bad english, Im trying to do my best writing here. First of all, congratulations for your beatiful family and exellent blog!!, I can’t remember when I start to read your posts but Im so attached every day reading them, your writing gift is fantastic!! Well, I have to be in bed right now but I prefered be here looking for something nice to read and close this not so good day that I had!

Felicitaciones desde Colombia!

katie b
    October 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

Isn’t it amazing? They bid you can see between brothers? My bits are 6 years apart one is 8 and one is two and i can see how much they love each other. They play, fight, hug and yell and it really does fill my heart. These pics are really cute!

[email protected]
    October 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

He.is.adorable! My 3-month old has those dimples too!! Can we say lady killers?

xarlem creations
    October 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

they both are so smily!! they are super cute!! you must be very happy!

misty
    October 20, 2012 at 3:50 am

what a sweet letter. Adorable lil angels!!!

love,

Misty

Megan
    October 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I often question if we could handle a second child. Your sweet letter to Sawyer touched me and your pictures of the boys together are so beautiful!!

Gina Alexander
    November 19, 2012 at 4:23 am

Hey, there, Ashley…. I’ve occasionally tuned into your site to see baby Sawyer grow up before our eyes. What a handsome little guy… and looks incredibly like big bro!!! You should be proud of your beautiful family and of all that you have accomplished thus far. This is only the beginning. Isn’t it exciting?!!!
    See you in a few years (maybe?!)
    Luv ya,