Best Of grow

I Am THAT Mom

As it turns out, I am THAT mom.
You know the one.

The one who, before she was a Momma,
had a list a mile long of all the things
she swore she would never do with her own baby.

The one who silently judged other Momma’s
as I passed by them in Target while their kid lay on the ground
flailing about and screaming at the top of his lungs
because he didn’t want to get back in the cart.

I remember the faces of those Momma’s all too well.

Some Mom’s were frazzled and frantic,
anxious to do anything in their power to get their baby to be quiet.
I remember their quivering voices as they played both sides of the conversation between themselves and their baby:
Do you want a bottle–no.
Your binkie–no.
Puffs–no.
Blankie–no.
Elmo–no.
Do you just want to embarrass me in front of a store full of watchful eyes?

And then other Momma’s appeared unfazed.
They silently went about their shopping,
as if their child was not making a spectacle of himself.
Almost as if they were denying ownership of the monster on the aisle floor.
I could nearly see this Momma’s thoughts:
Maybe if I just ignore it, it will go away.

Flash forward 2 years,
as I juggle my own toddler {labeled difficult by his pediatrician}.
It seems clear that I am receiving punishment for passing judgement.

Since becoming a Mom,
I have been both of the women described above,
on more than one occasion.
And I can tell you,
that neither of the above methods have succeeded in quieting my baby.

Instead, whenever Baby W starts on one of these public tantrums,
I start to sweat.
And then I sweat some more.
My armpits even begin to tingle a little.
And then, when I can’t take it any longer,
I end up snatching my toddler from the ground,
leaving behind my cart full of groceries,
and dragging my kid back to the car
so we can go home…
where he can be a monster
without the judgement of others.

And then, I just add that experience to the list;
the list of the type of Momma I swore I would never be, with a child who does things I swore no child of mine would ever do.

And, in case you were wondering, that list goes on
Such as…

My child will NOT have a bottle past 12 months,
or ya know, whatever.

My kid will not go out in public barefoot.
Ha, try telling that to a kid who just might have a legitimate shoe-phobia.

My kid, arch his back??? Never…

My living room will not become a play yard.
And my personal favorite…
My kid will not sleep in my bed!
Try nearly every night of his life.
Amidst a slew of other shining moments
that I somehow thought I would be able to control when I became a Momma.
Rock Eating.
Stubbornness.
Nose picking.

Furniture Chewing.

Hair Pulling.

Hose Drinking.

Hiding.

Yeah, after two years as an official Mom,
I realize I am now THAT Momma๏ปฟ,
the one who will tell you
that even on the worst days…
like the days when he walks up to your couch
and knowingly pees on the side of it before you can get his diaper on…
even on those days,
it’s all totally worth it.
Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2:11
For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Audrey Crisp
    April 5, 2011 at 7:21 am

Awwww….. he's such a cute little monster though. I love your honesty. Way to throw a scrip in there too. love it.

Cori
    April 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

This is so hilarious. I worked in a grocery store before I had kids, and boy would I judge! Now, 3 babies later. I have been there, a thousand times over. Love it love it love it. You are adorable. And so is your little man.

la vie petite

Mandy's Creative Corner
    April 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

I just had one of these kind of moments the other day (to add the my continually growing list of "I'm that Mom" moments) where my son was mis-behaving in a restaurant so I pulled him close to me, so he hit my arm. Immediately I felt the eyes of all the tables nearby burning through the back of my head so I put my face in his and stated very strongly "Don't hit mama" and in less than 1 second of my finishing that statement he brought his free arm up and slapped me in the face…. I feel I still haven't fully recovered from that and I probably never will.

(On a side note I am soooo glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has left a cart full of things in a store to take my screaming child home) Phewwwwfff!

Alessandra
    April 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

Such a fun post, cracked me up.

AliLilly
    April 5, 2011 at 7:23 am

OH!!! This is my most FAVORITEST!!! Post ever! I'm SOOOO with you! SO with you!! I feel you!!! I love this! Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gallamore West
    April 5, 2011 at 7:28 am

The poop in the tub picture is hilarious… his little face is SOOO cute!!

CMom
    April 5, 2011 at 8:18 am

Great photo of him in the shopping cart. It's like he's saying, "Yeah, you're seeing it. I'm barefoot. And…??" Loving your blog!

Terah
    April 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

I seriously laughed out loud as I read this. Why you ask… Ummm cuz I was the EXACT same way. I was the same girl that looked at mom's w/misbehaving kids and thought get a grip on your kid lady, mine will NEVER act that way… Never say NEVER with kids. We are in our 2nd attempt of potty training, today I was peed on twice while we ran for the potty, he pooped in the shower which he was on daddy's watch so daddy dealt with one. (i giggled) He likes his new found way of expressing his irritation towards a situation, SPITTING, which I swore he wouldn't EVER do, right… I do have an amazingly sweet son, you could never tell by this lengthy comment but I am so grateful to read this and know I'm not a crazy mother, I'm a NORMAL mother who had unrealistic expectations of mommy hood and now I love it… And learn to accept the things I can't always control. Thank you again for posting this, it was just what I needed… Bless you

Mom of the Twinkies and Tot!
    April 5, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love this post because deep down I think all momma's realize we are THAT momma at some point in our life as a parent. Everything you wrote is totally true! Oh…and your son…Adorable with a capital A….no matter how 'difficult' he may be!

Melissa
    April 5, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love how you have him barricaded into a little play area! cute.

gin
    April 5, 2011 at 10:59 am

As always, thanks for you honesty about motherhood. As much as we love our children, there are days that are not perfect and days where we feel terrible. Since becoming a mom, I've basically thrown out the words always and never from my vocabulary because they always seem to bite me!
    But what a sweet little guy.

Sinister Soaps
    April 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

I've totally been that mom on many occasions. I've got a 2 year old and a 7 month old, so if one isn't screaming, the other most certainly is. I dread getting anything done outside the house at this point and cleaning the actual house seems like a waste of time when it's right back to where it was within hours. But it really is all worth it. <3

DieselMonkey
    April 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I think we've all been "that mom" at some point. We were having all the tantrum issues. My husband bought the "happiest toddler on the block" book. It is amazing how it helped us deal with th tantrums. it's not a miracle. It's a little hokey. But when we use the ideas, our son responds and meltdowns disappear.

Thanks for keeping it real!

Anonymous
    April 5, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I too used to judge, but after three boys, I've been through it all too. I will say, not as a criticism, but out of caring, DON'T let him fall asleep with that bottle!!!! I know it makes it easier in the moment, but it has HUGE consequences. My 3 year old would drink nothing but apple juice, which I diluted with water. He just had his first dental x-rays and has 10 cavities. He had his first fillings. For a little 3 year old, it was a torturous experience. And as his mom it is my fault for letting him drink juice all day. That milk will sit in his mouth as he sleeps and start to decay his beautiful teeth. And if he continues the habit of drinking to go to sleep, potty training will be harder for you too.
    My experience as a mom for the last 9 years is that change takes about 2 days. It's a tough 2 days, but worth it. Don't let your child decide how things will be done, you are the mom, you make the rules.
    Saying this with care!! Kelly

radiomomrhetoric
    April 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm

After 4 kiddos–I have to REMIND myself that I too was once without little ones ready to embarass me at a moments notice! –now that they are older, they just get "The Look" from me.

This works on the boys (9, 7 and 6) but not my daughter (18 months)…she is still in training.

LOL

ps…I voted for you!

stephanie
    April 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm

My 2 year old is sitting next to me picking her nose as I type this. Im that momma too ๐Ÿ™‚

m&msmommy
    April 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Great post! It's funny to see people look at me in judgement when my child is throwing a tantrum in public….typically you can tell right off the parents and non-parents! ๐Ÿ™‚ NEVER judge other parents because when you do, the very next day, THAT child is YOUR child! ๐Ÿ™‚ I've learned that the hard way.

Oh, and my child was NEVER going to sleep in bed with me either, such is life! ๐Ÿ˜‰

m&msmommy
    April 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Sommer Clark
    April 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Loved reading your post! lol. oh how All of us moms have that long laundry list of 'i will not-s'. lol. One I'm currently battling for example is 'i would Never let my child have a pacifier past 2yrs old!', our son is now 3 and tells us when his baby brother arrives he'll give them all to him! AGH! now i'm the mom who says, 'my next childs paci is gone by 6months b/c he will not be 'telling' me when' LOL. oh the joys…!

Candace
    April 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I'm THAT momma too!

At least you are a momma to an obvious heartbreaker. He is the cutest little boy…so cute that I think of ways I can get my baby girl across the country to meet him – you know, when they are older and all…

Crystal
    April 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I laugh because I swear this is all a "boy thing" my daily life is exactly as you just told it! My friend Jessica from "jessicandesigns" have a wonderful saying for these days…. "peace and joy….!?beep!? Haha silly but it makes us laugh to no end!

Heidi
    April 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I love your posts! You are so straight forward with how it REALLY is as a momma! I judged before too…before I had girls I would look at moms walking around with their daughters with the little girls hair all scraggly and unkept and the little girls wearing rain boots and princess dresses and I would think "Dress that girl up cute! Brush her hair and braid it and make it look so beautiful!" Well now I have a 4 year old little STUBBORN girl who refuses to let me barely BRUSH her hair let alone braid it or even put a clip in!! And yes, I let her wear her rain boots to the store too! Some battles you just don't want to fight!!!

I like it, I love it!
    April 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

This might be my favorite post of yours. Hilarious and soooo true!

megandcalconner.blogspot.com

Rachel
    April 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

He is so adorable! I am definitely one of the judgey people when I see monster kids like that, but I think now I'll have a little more compassion for those moms. I don't think you ever know what it's like until you have kids, so I really shouldn't judge.

Lindsay
    April 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Ash, you spoke my mind exactly. We have the SAME episodes. ๐Ÿ™ Oh and PS we still do a bottle too :/ YIKES!

Beth
    April 5, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Could your baby boy be any cuter?? Wow.

Karri
    April 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

He he! We all say it before we are moms. I specifically recall saying, "My kids will NEVER sleep in my bed. That's my space"
    Um, my oldest was in there till he was almost 3. They all still invade my bed. So, yeah….
    And I eye-rolled at those parents who allowed their kids to go out, dressed in costume or jammies or mismatched clothing. Now? Crud – I don't care. As long as they are not naked. I've certainly learned 2 things:
    1- pick your battles
    2- never say never

P.S. W is so darn cute.

Jenae @ Wildflower
    April 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Its okay Im one of those mama's too! except I leave the store with two toddler one under each arm.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kristyn
    April 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hey great minds thinks alike I just wrote a post about THAT MOM too a few months ago… http://thoughtsofalittlebird.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-that-mom.html
    from one mom who promised to never be "that mom" to another, you a certainly not alone. Hang in there unfortunately it gets a little worse before it gets better, terrible twos are EXACTLY as terrible as they sound. Love you and your little monster.

Kim
    April 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This post warmed my heart. I identified with every single thing. I used to be the mom who snatched the kids up and left too. Now that I have 2 (4 year old & 2 year old) I'm the mom who (when 4 year old is at pre-K) straps the 2 year old into the basket of the shopping cart and lets him cry. It's either that or come back later with both of them … now there's an adventure. Somebody is always going to judge you … no matter what you do. Of course I also went to Target this morning wearing sweats, winnie the pooh socks and sandals on. I swore I'd never be THAT mom too! Ha! What a ride …. it's worth it though.

Romance In A Glance
    April 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I love this post! Love the pictures you have to capture it all. Although I am not a mother yet, I find this post very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing,
    Savy

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top
    April 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

*giggle* I think we were all like that BEFORE we had kids. I'm THAT mom too for the past 17 years. ๐Ÿ™‚ Your son is TOO cute! I love all of these photos.

nicole.
    April 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm

what a great post. hahahhahaha.

im guilty of one {ok, maybe two or ALL} of the things on this list…

Im also the mom who let her kid sit in the REALLY ANNOYING car cart at the grocery store {not before I basically sprayed it down with disinfectant}

but still…

Miss Redneck
    April 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm there, have been for the past I don't know months. My hair is really turning gray now. Like last night…Oh man!!!

amomwithalessonplan.com
    April 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

HA HA HA HA!!!! I love how he is trapped in the living room! My Big M started walking (excuse me RUNNING) at 7 months. We trapped him to places for as long as we could.

ps I didn't see a "will never put my kid on a leash" I loved ours, it was the only reason mine were ever out of the stroller. They are both really fast.

Jessica
    April 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

that's so funny, I have a 2 1/2 year old son (turning next week!) But he can not keep shoes on him for the life of me! It drives us crazy, it doesn't matter where we are, he strips them off, and the socks too! Even if I bribe him it doesn't work!

Kathie
    April 5, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Prior to becoming a momma I had a list of "nevers"….I will never let my kid…..(fill in with whatever)…and now I find that I eat my nevers all the time. Since I have had my 3rd child the never's get a little easier to swallow…

My firend and I had to change the phrase from "I will never" to "I never plan to"…that way we don't feel guilty when we cave.

Jamie Rubeis
    April 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

You never cease to make me laugh!!!
    …or maybe it was just that poop picture again!

Natalie
    April 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh, this post made me laugh so hard! Those pictures are priceless!

live.laugh.photograph
    April 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

hehe to pooping in the tub! such a funny picture! I swear you are describing my daily life! We can only laugh about it and move forward… because we will always have days like those, and it is always going to be worth it!

Michelle Life Buy The Beach
    April 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm

So funny. Now that I'm a G-ma I am so helpful to those Mommas in the store. I try and see If I can help. Sometimes they welcome it and sometimes they get upset. It's a stressful time when your baby puts you on display. I think you all should shop with a sign that you can hold up to those staring at you when this happens that says: "This is life! You need to get one!

debBdooz
    April 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Worry not! I'm 56 and STILL becoming THAT mom. It never ends no matter how old your children are, LOL. :Deb in Tex

Dawn
    April 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

i think we're all like that until we have a child and realize what it's all about ๐Ÿ™‚ i know now i'd never say anything now about a child with a pacifier, bottle, shorts on in the winter (yes, that's my son!) and so many other things i would have raised an eyebrow at before kids-great post!

The Lucas Gang
    April 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

i think this is an exact replica of my life!!! Never say never, because 97% of the time it will happen!

Amber
    April 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I am laughing so hard right now! I am THAT mom too! But you know what, it's totally worth it and I wouldn't change a thing!

Pettijohn
    April 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I can totally relate to this blog. I used to think like that before I was a mom to. I agree though it is so worth it in the end.

While My Sailors Aweigh
    April 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I am totally that mom too and I am on my second child… I had a list of things I was going to do differently with the second one… totally out the window!! Oh well!

Love your blog and you have a very handsome little man!

stefanie.ann
    April 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm

haha thats cute. its funny because we all have these notions of how we want things to be when we get married, have kids, etc and usually 9 times out of 10 it NEVER turns out/happens as you plan.

best of luck, i love hearing about your little man!

Amy
    April 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Your baby is so darn cute! I can see how he would just look at you and you would say, "Ok, but just this once…"

Erin
    April 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Oh my goodness–I can so relate to everything on your list! I was SO judgmental about those "other" moms until I had mine.

lacerbucket
    April 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm

i just discovered your blog and LOVE it. this post is absolutely perfect and describes my life with my little dude EXACTLY. you are not alone, i'm THAT mom too ๐Ÿ™‚

Jayna Rae
    April 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Isn't it sooo much fun. It is all for our own good; I am sure.

Mormishmom @ Funky PolkaDot Giraffe
    April 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Whatevs, we're just graduating from Parenting 505 instead of 101 like all the others ๐Ÿ™‚ I look at it this way – the world is going to get tough – really tough. These little munchkins are going to have to be strong. Super strong. They'll have to stand up for what they believe when everyone around them is trying to push them down and tell them to be quiet. Right now – we're the training grounds. We'll shape their character, lead them, guide them, and walk beside them, help them find their way. They are spunky and full of fire because Heavenly Father knew they would need to have that to survive and succeed. I am that Momma and I'm totally proud of it. And you're a fantastic mother with an adorable kid that is gonna move mountains one day.

Jessie K
    April 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Haha! I was just like you! And now here I am, mom to two little girls who are so sweet, when they're asleep, and doing and saying things I said I'd never do and say!

Aubrey
    April 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

yep, I'm THAT momma too ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I love the guitar blanket!

The Momma
    April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Yup, sounds like my kiddo. Heck, I think our doctor is *afraid* of my kiddo he's so…difficult.

Ingrid
    April 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Been there, done that(four kids later, and still partially sane)! LOL. SO true.

Ashley
    April 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

oh wow! love this! I have a super hyper, active, crazy toddler too along with a 6 month old. all I have to say is, thanks for the post! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelli
    April 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I totally agree with you, even on the worst of days it is totally worth it. The best name I was ever given was momma and I wear it proudly. I too am that Mom!!

xoxo
    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

Keck Family
    April 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Oh my goodness-favorite post ever! love it! I'm am totally that mom too-welcome to the club!

ashlynjustin
    April 5, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Can I just say that I love your blog! Its nice to hear real Mama talk.. Plus you look dang while do it too. It inspires me to no longer look like a teenage boy everyday. I swear when my sweet baby boy was born I lost all my glam!

jamie @ kreyv
    April 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm

But, they just get away with it all, because they are so darn cute! He is so adorable. What are your thoughts on arranged marriages? (W and Stella) ๐Ÿ˜‰

little miss vintage
    April 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I just have to say THANK YOU! for this post, I have a 15 month old little boy and can relate to all of these situations, thankfully with laughter (now) not when it's happening though. It's nice to hear once and awhile that not everyone's kids are perfect little angels or that there must be something wrong with me if my baby acts out. This post will keep me from being too hard on myself ๐Ÿ™‚

Lori
    April 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I'm in the same boat with my son. He is turning three next week and I think I am starting to see some improvement from year two, which gives me a little bit of hope. The book, "Raising Your Spirited (aka difficult) Child" was a helpful read, but the best place to find strength and comfort during motherhood trials is definitely in the scriptures and words of the prophets. Thanks for reminding me of that scripture in Second Nephi!

Anonymous
    April 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I loved this! Laughed my way thru this post….I think we must share the same lives! lol! I would have to add picky eater to my list as well! Thanks for entertaining me today and for reminding me that i am not the only mom out there with these same issues!

Dana
    April 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Yep, I had my list also prior to kids. Now that list is in the trash. Those photos are priceless!! And it's all worth it…even in those moments of us leaving our carts behind so we can take our monster home. Great post!

Tootsie&Fruitsie
    April 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for this! It really made me lol! I love your blog I'm new to it myself and not nearly as good as you ha but I will be following you for sure!

Tootsie&Fruitsie
    April 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Sarah E.
    April 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I think it's really hard to know what a mom is going through until you ARE a mom. What's worse is when other moms look down upon you when your toddler is acting up. I have been so much more understanding of other moms struggling to keep their kiddos happy in public places. I'll try to get my 3 and 4 year old to talk to the kid or make silly faces, or I'll try, myself.

This post is uber cute ๐Ÿ™‚

828 Miles Later
    April 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

This post was my day at Target. Seriously, I only needed 3 things and took her in the umbrella stroller so we wouldn't have to fight getting in the cart.
    The screamed 95% of the time we werein the store.
    The lady in front of me let me go in front of her because my child was screaming so loud. She either felt bad for me or couldn't bear listening to my child any longer. I like to think it was sympathy.

Also, the nose picking….she picks her nose, eats what comes out, and follows it with a "YUM"! Really??!!

Thanks for reminding me I am not alone in this crazy age of 2.

Justine
    April 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

love it!

i mentioned on facebook

Just Better Together

[email protected] Present Life
    April 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

We are ALL that momma! Motherhood is one of those things that you just don't get until you experience it. No one can tell you what's it like, no one can tell you how to prepare, no one can tell you what to expect. You just have to live it! And then you have sympathy for every other mom with a screaming child and you just want to give her a big hug and say "you are not alone."

Erica
    April 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Now that I have baby #2, I have definitely taken the more relaxed approach that I thought and hoped I would with baby #1, but I chuckle every time one of my friends gets pregnant and they talk about the "way it will be" when the baby comes ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for sharing, it's always reassuring to know we are not alone!

Sarah and Jeremy
    April 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

love it!!! i am SO that mom!! i used to judge, give looks, and even on some occasions say something. i am now GETTING the looks, and all i can do is laugh. love this post! so close to home!

Chelsea
    April 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love it! I actually put my toddler in time out at Walmart. She was demanding food and I just couldn't take it anymore. I sat her down on the floor and ignored her. I found what I needed and then asked if she was ready to get back in the cart. Did it work…no. I was stared at and I just about started screaming at everyone! I feel ya!

Modest Modern Mom
    April 5, 2011 at 9:42 pm

OMG!! Best. Post. Ever. I can't even put into words how much I loved it.

Danielle

April
    April 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Yeap! Me too! And don't you love that as your doing all those things you can hear yourself saying "My kid will never…." lol I particularly love when I am in the presence of new moms and I can see them looking at me thinking those things…I just chuckle to myself remembering when it was me thinking all those things and think to myself, "honey, if you only knew!" lol

Trulie Scrumptious
    April 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I have a feeling I'm going to be the same way when I have kids… I'm the one who silently judges right now ๐Ÿ˜‰ hah we'll see how I end up
    check out our new blog
    trulie-scrumptious.blogspot.com
    we would love any comments and tips on making a fun blog like this one!

*Crystal*
    April 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

An eye opening post… so true…

Rachel
    April 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

That made me laugh and those pictures are adorable. I am that mom too. Thank you for your blog. It makes my day. You are great!

Sally
    April 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I'm totally the "pretend like my kid isn't screaming" Mom. I would so much rather ignore it than fight with a toddler. Which is partly why I started always carrying suckers in my purse. And the one thing I always said I would never do is let my kids wear dirty clothes and have uncombed hair. Now with my fourth on the way my kids end up looking homeless most of the time. At least not on Sundays, that's the one day I put my foot down.

Amy
    April 5, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Love love love. That's all I have to say.

Anonymous
    April 5, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Oh my goodness you're SO great! I just started reading your blog a couple days ago (and I am now ALL the way caught up start to finish- stalker status for SURE!) a friend of mine started blogging and I had never even heard of blogging like this until I saw hers (she follows you so that's how I saw yours!)

Anyways, I have an 8 month old daughter and would you like to know the type of momma I am??

My baby WILL be crawling by 5 months and walking by 8 months(she'll be advanced of course)… umm well she is sort of army crawling now at 8 months…

I will never give her juice in a bottle because it will just rot her teeth… it turns out pear juice helps with constipation, and she only takes it in a bottle…

No sweets for her because I don't want to ruin her palette with sugar and have her develop a preference for that over veggies… it turns out my little beauty LOVES ice cream ๐Ÿ™‚ and cheesecake and frosting…oops.

I could go on, I just love that we can all be THAT momma and still have the sweetest kids ever!

-Katie (and with this LONG comment I'm sure I just jumped from stalker status to just plain creepy ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Jennifer
    April 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

This cracks me up, because I am SO the kind of person that says things like, "my kids will never do that!" I know that when I DO become a mama, they will do ALL of those things! Your photos are precious!

Elizabeth {e tells tales}
    April 6, 2011 at 12:23 am

So brutally honest and so funny! This momma to be is a little nervous now about all the judging I've done in the past ๐Ÿ™‚

Kari
    April 6, 2011 at 12:30 am

Oh Ashley, you are such a great mom! I can't believe I only have 5ish weeks till I have my own baby boy! I'll definitely be coming to your blog for some good advice…and smiles and laughs, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kari
    April 6, 2011 at 12:30 am

p.s. Thank you for sharing the scripture reference at the end of this post! You are AWESOME!

Carolyn
    April 6, 2011 at 12:53 am

Such a cute boy.

Homeowner Insurance

Kristi Hoskins Gifts
    April 6, 2011 at 1:00 am

I am that mom too! And I remember being out in public pre kids thinking "can't they shut that kid up?" It's not as easy as I thought!
    But it's great to hear that other moms feel the same way.

Meg Smith
    April 6, 2011 at 1:29 am

Oh my goodness, this is my life. (well, minus the furniture chewing! Wild baby! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Baby W's face is especially hilarious in his shoe-phobia photo! Adorable! I was SO judge-y of other moms in public, too, pre-baby! I've had my PAY BACK x10 in the form of my 14 month old having a head-banging against the floor, scream-fest in the middle of a restaurant. Awesome! We call her "monsterbaby" in our family! Haha! But you're right–totally worth it!

Lisa
    April 6, 2011 at 2:02 am

I just love your honesty. We're all THAT mama and you say it best – it's all worth it! My wildest child grew to be creative, hardworking and kind, after all the worrying I did about his demanding and exhausting behavior when he was a babe and toddler!! I love how you capture all these moments with your camera – your sweet and wild Baby W is so precious!!

Abby
    April 6, 2011 at 2:02 am

Oh man! I am so excited to have kids one day. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't sacred. Your little boy is so cute… especially in the last pic… he looks so guilty! lol

Tara
    April 6, 2011 at 2:20 am

I understand this on every SINGLE level. These are my greatest fears about having kids of my own because I have already experienced ALL OF THIS with many other people's kids. In fact, I feel as though I've already had at least SIX kids.
    But I do love them.

"Stuborness" is one of my favorite pictures. SO cute.

Alyss
    April 6, 2011 at 2:48 am

This is hilarious! The poop in the tub! His face is priceless there.

And I was THAT mom that judged moms who had their babies sleep in their beds with them. Guess who is currently holding her child in bed as we turn in for the night? THIS mom!

Staci @ Life's Sweeter with Chocolate
    April 6, 2011 at 3:10 am

Oh my goodness – that's so my son, picking his nose, climbing in our leather cubes, pooping in the tub, and our living room has absolutely turned into Toys R Us x 10!! This made me laugh! ๐Ÿ™‚

And I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy for using pillows, furniture, etc to block him in! I finally broke down and bought a playpen when he started climbing over the pillows!

Cherry Blossoms
    April 6, 2011 at 3:42 am

you have the most adorable monster ever! Sounds like he is living a happy, memorable childhood. One of my favorite memories is actually drinking from the hose during the summer.

the speers
    April 6, 2011 at 4:21 am

Hi Ashley! I've been reading your blog for a while, and I LOVE IT! You are so cute and your baby is adorable!! (I'm bummed, though because I just made my family blog private-but I'd totally love it if you wanted to read it!! :D) I totally hate melt-downs-at-the-store. I TOTALLY get the sweats and try to ignore my kid…but I'm always too embarrassed to leave my cart! One time I was at the mall with a friend, and we both had our kids and both of us were prego and my little boy lost it in Borders (of all stores!). It was awful! It took me like 15 minutes just to get him to chil-lax enough to get him in the stroller. I think I carried him out and pushed the stroller empty. It was horrible. I did not enjoy that day! But-he does have sweet moments, which totally and 100% make up for it!! You're adorable!
    Chira
    chiraspeers [at] gmail [dot] com

The Zeediks
    April 6, 2011 at 4:47 am

love this post celeb, you are such a great Momma and Wesley is awesome and he has a lot of energy (like my Halle girl). Susan was literally getting a workout just following him around while he wandered at the park. When I say at the park I do not mean play ground, because as you well know he does not stay at the play ground, there is WAY to much to explore.
    Remind me to tell you a recent embarrassing story I had with Halle the other day at the mall when she disappeared and I found her outside… ya.. I know what you are doing.. judging me… haha JK but seriously these kids have a mind of their own! No one tells you that! haha

(p.s. I call you celeb short for celebrity)

Autumn
    April 6, 2011 at 4:49 am

…and someday I will be that mom too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Shellsea
    April 6, 2011 at 5:21 am

LOVE this post! I found your blog via a friend(stresscase) I follow. I have a 9 month old son and recently had lunch with a pregnant friend that totally called me out on one of those "I'll never when I'm a mom" moments. Yeah, new follower!

Lisa
    April 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

I just have to say that you have one of the cutest babies in blogland. And I don't just tell that to anyone. In fact, I think you are the first person I've told that to. Mostly because, in my opinion, my kids are the cutest.

But really. Yours is right up there. I LOVE your pics of him.

M.O.T.B
    April 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I did a similar post last week, it is funny how your point of view changes when you walk in someone else's shoes. You are so RIGHT though, very worth it!

Amanda
    April 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Probably my favorite post of yours. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am TOTALLY that mom too, and judged before I was a mom. Now I completely understand how hard being a mom is. ๐Ÿ™‚ I communicate that to all my non-mommy friends, but make sure I emphasize what you said, that it's all worth it. LOVE your blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Allison {Live Love Small}
    April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

too funny! i am that mom too. first time on your blog and am a new follower!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too
    April 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Fabulous post! I completely agree with your last paragraph!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too
    April 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Fabulous post! I completely agree with your last paragraph!

La Coastal Casa
    April 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I really loved this post! Your son is adorable and the pictures along with the captions made me laugh out loud..especially the last one. What great memories!

Life in Rehab
    April 7, 2011 at 12:15 am

I always say, you do your best parenting before you have kids. I chortled all the way through this.

XtOphY Design Studio
    April 7, 2011 at 12:25 am

as if a million people haven't already commented, this is absolutely hilarious – AND SO EXACTLY HOW I FELT BEFORE I HAD MY SON! hahahahahaha! i love your blog! you crack me up!

Courtney
    April 7, 2011 at 12:58 am

haha that was totally cute!!

Erin
    April 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yeah I was that girl…before I was that Momma too!

The pic of your son in the bathtub makes me giggle everytime I see it! lol

3krazychics
    April 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I think we all are that momma! With 3 boys (8, 4, 20m) of my own, I've had all of your above mentioned, except the bottle while sleeping. There are times when I just have to walk away and breath…….sigh…sigh…..

Of course when I was in my early 20's I too was a judger!

I AM THAT MOMMA!

Triplet Mami
    April 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Today of all days I needed to read all of this. Because even though I am not in public, but in the privacy of my own home, I AM THAT MOMMA! The one who swore my kids would not act like THAT! And yet here I am with almost 3 year old triplets. And the tantrums and the fussiness and screaming and hair pulling and co-sleeping. How I was wrong. But I love them anyway.

BTW, been reading your blog for a while and I LOVE it!!! Thanks so much for writing…when I have a moment of peace to myself, your blog is one to read!!

T B
    April 8, 2011 at 9:03 am

lol. loved the pictures! and it's so true! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista
    April 8, 2011 at 9:17 am

What a beautiful post, your pics are awesome too!!

LilBuckarooDesigns
    April 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

So….laugh….I'm thinkin' I could have written almost every word you wrote based on your content!! I too was NEVER going to be THAT mom who….or have a child who….but OH yeah! I am and so is he, laugh!! Still have the bottle, sleeps with us every night and I give in more than I should!! If only I could take back everything I ever thought or said about other mommas who CLEARLY were doing it all wrong, lol!! Oh how I understand now that I am in the club!! Loved this post!! Good think baby W is darn cute…even with pee on the couch!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lil Mama Stuart
    April 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

O.M.G. SO true. and hilarious. and that poop picture, priceless!

Renae
    April 9, 2011 at 4:38 am

we all kinda become THAT MOM, and it's ok! I'll own it. :0)

hotpantsโ„ข
    April 11, 2011 at 3:12 am

The poop picture is still so funny. I think I can get on board with all of these except the 'no shoes in public'. I'm the opposite of your little man. I have a phobia of bare feet in public.

Rhonda
    April 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love this! I'm also "that mom!"

MommaHen
    April 13, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I hear ya! I have some how turned out to be THAT momma on my second child :/

Ashley
    April 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I LOVE this! I had a good chuckle over your photo proof. I am so that Momma. Before kids I swore if I ever had any they would not play sports in the house yet my 2 year old has left marks and chips in my beautiful, white wainscotting from his love of hockey. I swore my furniture would stay clean and new-looking. Between baby spit-up, boogers and food, my couch is in dire need of a steam-cleaning. Thank goodness it's not white! And of course toys get thrown leaving little marks and scratches all over my hardwood floor. Oh well! It's all worth it because I love my little guy and have another on the way! Thanks for the honesty!!

Robyn
    April 18, 2011 at 3:42 am

HE is adorable though ๐Ÿ™‚ My first born (boy) was the same way. Stubborn and busy busy busy. But he is now the sweetest most helpful boy and takes great care of his sisters. Keep up the great work! One day you may have a calm baby girl and you'll be glad you had your "hard one" first ๐Ÿ™‚
    ps- Love your blog!

Andrea
    April 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I just found your blog, I won a giveaway from Groopdealz by you and just started reading. Lovely blog, and this is one of my fave posts.
    Thanks for sharing!

Sierra
    April 27, 2011 at 5:25 am

I love reading your blog! You make me laugh and you are so real:) Thank you for letting me share in every day mommy life! I also have a little boy that is 2 going on 16, eek!

Laliete
    June 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

This made me laugh so much!
    very recognisable since being a mom for 2.5 years.

Denise
    July 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

We are all "THAT" mom.

I have found that with baby #2, the sweating is not as profuse.

Replica Designer Handbags
    August 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

A good bargain and a good transaction

[email protected] HandlingWithGrace
    October 11, 2011 at 1:55 am

I LOVE THIS POST! I love your honesty.

karla @ bluegrass jewelry designs
    October 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Aren’t we all perfect moms, until we actually have kids? : )

Jess
    October 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I’m a new follower after reading your Aha Moment! This is by far the funniest post EVER!!!

I am not a mom yet, but I will confess… I’m THAT soon to be {far future} Mom who secretly judges. You’re awesome & Real. I’ll be following quite frequently!

Stilettos & a fishing pole – http://www.ardjla.blogspot.com

[email protected]
    October 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I am a new follower & fairly new blogger and this post is hilarious! I so was that girl before having my son who is now 5……you have an entire new perception after becoming a mom ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing!

Tips for writing a blog - how to overcome writers block - Little Miss Momma
    November 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm

[…] An old picture of me as a teenager inspired this post. Pictures of Baby W’s mess inspired this post.ย  Pictures evoke feelings, and feelings can turn into words that mean something to you and […]

Really?! - grow - Little Miss Momma
    September 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm

[…] 8, 2011 By Ashley Stock * 37 Comments I mentioned this lovely experience at the end of my post, I Am THAT Mom. And in case you didn’t believe me, I decided to show proof. Yes, that is pee. Baby W […]

Stephanie
    February 28, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I laughed out loud at this! As a momma of a 2 year old and 2 month old, I know all of those past judgements way too well, and have been bitten by them all! The poop in the tub, or the shower, or the bedroom floor- oh yes, that’s fun. The hair pulling, sleeping in our bed (although that didn’t start until number 2), nose picking, hours of tv watching- it’s all something we come to accept as part of the “pick your battles” everyday way of coping! Love it!

Gracielle
    May 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

Hi there. I’m from the Philippines, and I’m a Mormon too! This post is soooooo true. I love you for writing this. I appreciate the things that makes mothers alike. ๐Ÿ™‚ We love our children and all the things that come with it! Nice blog, very uplifting. Keep posting ๐Ÿ™‚

amy @amy+mayd
    May 11, 2013 at 4:39 am

I love this! Hahaha.. I am THAT momma too!

Faith
    January 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Thank you a whole bunch!! I needed this article!! I was that Mama too before baby 4 and 5 came along..I thought I knew it all and I could almost do it all..not anymore…
    LOL
    Faith

Kristyn
    March 5, 2014 at 12:01 am

What’s that saying? “Before I had kids, I had lots of theories and no children. Now I have lots of children and no theories.” Thanks for being so honest!

[author of http://keepingupwiththeduchess.tumblr.com/%5D