craft

Silhouette Subway Art {13th Article of Faith}

Silhouette Subway Art
{13th Article of Faith}

YES, I realize that it looks a bit like I applied these vinyl letters while off roading. So please don’t look too closely, and certainly don’t click to see the larger version of this picture.
I said don’t click.

This was my first subway art attempt with my beloved Silhouette,
and there are MANY things I would do differently now that I think I have figured things out a bit more.  For example, I made my some of my font sizes a bit too small so it was nearly impossible to peel the letters off in a straight line.

Here is a sneak peak at the super user friendly Silhouette program where you create what you want to cut out.  It is very similar to Microsoft word, so it’s not an intimidating program at all.

Quick Tips to Making Your Very Own
Silhouette Subway Art:
1. Create your design in the Silhouette program.
2. Cut out your vinyl following the instructions in your Silhouette Handbook.
3. Then click HERE to see my tutorial for painting and distressing the board and applying the vinyl.

And if you want a Silhouette and/or vinyl of your very own, click on this button and have fun shopping:

Silhouette Electronic Cutting Tool

PeaceLoveApplesauce
    January 25, 2011 at 2:42 am

I think it looks great!!
    Xoxoxo!!

Nina @ Momma Go Round
    January 25, 2011 at 2:53 am

It's really cute! you are too hard on yourself. Plus, it's vinyl…peel it off and try again if you don't like it!

Lone Star Family
    January 25, 2011 at 2:57 am

I think it looks great too! Thanks for the tips I was JUST wondering how I should go about making myself one with my Silhouette, you read my mind!!!

Haute Deb Designs
    January 25, 2011 at 3:09 am

I think it looks cute! I thought you meant to put the words on crooked. {It makes it look like a kid did it–which I <3 ;)} Great job!!

Lovin-Life-Piersons
    January 25, 2011 at 3:15 am

It looks great, I thought you meant to put the words on like that too. it adds character, I love it!

Kara
    January 25, 2011 at 3:22 am

I think it turned out great! Esp with it being your first one. I have a silhouette too…but have not been brave enough to try subway art yet. Thanks for the tips! Did you use transfer paper or free-hand it?

dubb and dawni
    January 25, 2011 at 3:30 am

I love it "wonky" like that !! Too Cute !!!

Dani
    January 25, 2011 at 3:46 am

Way too cute! I guess I need to get me silhouette!

Larissa
    January 25, 2011 at 3:47 am

I totally love it! If you hadn't said it wasn't supposed to look that way I never would have known. I'm so jealous of your silhouette!

Eat.Sleep.Create.

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Craft Edition
    January 25, 2011 at 3:49 am

did you use transfer paper?? I didn't know what that was until last week, but it's amazing and "holds" your design for you….anyways, great job!

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma
    January 25, 2011 at 4:14 am

LOL, believe it or not, I DID use transfer paper! I had problems with peeling the font from the vinyl {it was already crooked before I put it on the transer paper}.

ashley

Ashley
    January 25, 2011 at 4:21 am

this is AMAZING. My young women would looove this. I need to jump on the silhouette train!!!

Peacefully Hooked
    January 25, 2011 at 5:19 am

This is soo cute! I bet those little letters were way hard to peel off! Looks great, good job =)

xoxo
    Sarah

Tiffany
    January 25, 2011 at 7:25 am

I actually kinda like how some of it is a little wonky, and if you hadn't said something about it I would've thought it was done on purpose.
    C'mon Ashley, live a little, not everything has to be all perfectly straight and parallel – at least that's my motto for my sewing!

Audrey Crisp
    January 25, 2011 at 8:11 am

Sweet! That is my favorite article of faith! ; )

Gillian Mohlman
    January 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

although I have never met you, I seriously had a dream about you last night. You emailed me and asked me to come out to Cali to babysit your baby while your husband and you went on a date. So, my husband and I came, and really, you guys set up cameras all over the house to spy on us and your husband had guns set up across the street where you guys were watching from incase we did something wrong! hahah! So funny. Had to tell you.

nicole.
    January 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm

i want one. the machine AND the art 😉

tickled.
    January 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm

your subway art looks great! I really want to try one … hmmmmm, maybe that's what I can do on this rainy day! 🙂

~Lauren

Cyndi B
    January 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm

It looks GREAT! Can I come over and play with your Silhouette? Oh and you too 😉

Debbie - Families and Literacy
    January 26, 2011 at 12:31 am

It still looks great, so no worries! And the more we try at things the better we get, right?

ordinary girl
    January 26, 2011 at 3:06 am

I think the fact that it isn't matchey-matchey perfect makes it charming! 🙂

Heidi Ferguson
    January 26, 2011 at 6:26 am

You could try penciling straight lines for the words to go on, that way they would at least all be on the same perpendicular. (I'm so smart, using words like perpendicular…did I actually use that right?) Not that they aren't, but I totally feel your silhouette pain. I've had tons of silhouette fails this week. Great idea tho!

Ellen
    January 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Wow, you went all out for one of your first projects! so brave!!
    when i first got my silhouette i didn't dream that it would have quirks i would have to figure out – like bunched up vinyl in the cutter, fonts that don't really cut well, wiggly lines when i peeled the excess vinyl off… yeah, we're still figuring each other out but it's a lot of fun practicing!

Michelle From Life Buy The Beach
    January 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

LOL I cracked up reading this one. Off roading. I just picture you guys in the car and you finishing your project… so funny. It turned out really cute. Cant wait for you to master this.

Leah
    August 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Ashley,
    I tried clicking on your link to to see your tutorial for painting and distressing the board and applying the vinyl. But it’s not directing me… I realy…REALLY want to see additional tips on how to do this. Will you look into the link, please and thank you 🙂
    -Leah

WINNER and a Silhouette Update {discount code} - spotlight - Little Miss Momma
    September 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

[…] Remember these fun projects I created with my Silhouette: My wonky Young Womens theme Subway Art project. And these heat transfer onesies. Today, through the February 28th, Silhouette is […]